Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/29/2011 11:15:34 AM EDT
Looks like it is time I get serious about closing down my BofA account.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/09/bank-of-america-plans-5-monthly-fee-for-debit-card-purchases.html

"Most Bank of America customers will soon see a new charge on their
statements –– $5 for any month in which they use a BofA debit card to
make a purchase.

Consumers should prepare for more such charges, analysts say, as big
banks strive to recover revenue they have lost to financial reforms
adopted in the aftermatch of the economic meltdown.

The new Bank of America fee will be phased in early next year,
said Anne Pace, a spokeswoman for BofA, the nation's largest retail
bank."

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I really need to start a bank. Seems like I'd be flush with cash and could never go out of business.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope this causes people to reconsider which bank they want to do business with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I really need to start a bank. Seems like I'd be flush with cash and could never go out of business.

They only made profits of $3 billion last year. http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/16/news/companies/bank_of_america/index.htm

Is it really worth the hassle?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't made a debit card purcahse in almost 5 years.  Everything is credit card for me, or cash.  I pay online, and use my ATM card though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Find a good, local credit union.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
well they have to do something, they're too big to fail
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been too lazy to switch banks, but since we have about 6 debit cards from BOA in the family, it's time to get off my ass and move.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Start writing checks.  That costs them a hell of a lot more than $5 to process.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Don't worry, I'm sure that fee will be waived for illegals, so there is no problem here.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Like all other banks aren't going to do something similar.

Chase already is in some areas...

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't made a debit card purcahse in almost 5 years.  Everything is credit card for me, or cash.  I pay online, and use my ATM card though.

That's amazing. I haven't use a credit card in years, only cash or debit.

In fact, once I paid them off, I cut them all up except one for an emergency.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We seem to be polar opposites.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Obama, please come help us...  The big bad corporations want money for their services!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Yay for the recent "consumer protection" laws.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chase already is in some areas...

Regions is $4 / month for any transaction other than ATM next month.

And an extra $10 / month if you don't have direct deposit or maintain $1500 in the account.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Chase already charges you a fee if you don't use your debit card X amount times per month.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't made a debit card purcahse in almost 5 years. Everything is credit card for me, or cash. I pay online, and use my ATM card though.

There is nothing wrong with using a credit card if you pay the entire balance every month.

I rather have cash on hand for an emergency than credit. Credit doesn't work when the power is out or skynet is bitching a fit, cash does however.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We seem to be polar opposites.

Let's meet in the middle and like guns

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't made a debit card purcahse in almost 5 years. Everything is credit card for me, or cash. I pay online, and use my ATM card though.

There is nothing wrong with using a credit card if you pay the entire balance every month.

I rather have cash on hand for an emergency than credit. Credit doesn't work when the power is out or skynet is bitching a fit, cash does however.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have a sizable cash stash on hand just for that reason

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If some are smart and want more customers they won't.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you President Obama for "Reforming" Banking to make it benefit the dead beats.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2011/09/bank-of-america-plans-5-monthly-fee-for-debit-card-purchases.html

"Most Bank of America customers will soon see a new charge on their statements –– $5 for any month in which they use a BofA debit card to make a purchase.
Consumers should prepare for more such charges, analysts say, as big banks strive to recover revenue they have lost to financial reforms adopted in the aftermatch of the economic meltdown.

The new Bank of America fee will be phased in early next year, said Anne Pace, a spokeswoman for BofA, the nation's largest retail bank."

Well I just ditched these fuckers yesterday. I'm still with them but am now running with a cu. I called boa yesterday said they need to remove my annuial fee ($40) 24.5% apr, on a $500 limit card. They said no so I told them thanks, but I will be closing down my account within two days and will be taking my business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yay for the recent "consumer protection" laws.

YAHTZEE!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Me too. I'll take that free 30-day loan, and pay the CC  bill at the end of the month. Several of my savings/checking accounts compound interest daily instead of weekly or monthly, so it is in my best interest to hang on to my money as long as I can. Plus, my CC's earn points(Visa) or pay cash back(Amex). I have never paid once cent of interest to a CC company.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#26]
You know, umm, it's not like they're required to offer you a free debit card.  It does cost them money to provide that service.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#27]
You guys know if you run the card through as credit it bypasses the fee, right?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Regions Banks are charging $4.00 monthly ATM fee.
Unless you have direct deposit ($1500 or more per month) then they are waiving the ATM fee.

Good luck finding a bank that won't be charging ATM fees.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If some are smart and want more customers they won't.

I look at it the way gas stations charge for gasoline.  Who doesn't charge 9/10 of a penny on their signs?  I think eventually, most or all will go this route.  The more who do it, the more profit there is to make, and if EVERYONE does it, where will the consumer go to avoid it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know, umm, it's not like they're required to offer you a free debit card.  It does cost them money to provide that service.  Just sayin'.

No, but once they do, it's not good for business to start charging either.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Obama, please come help us...  The big bad corporations want money for their services!

Really? Where do you get that? Sounds like the consumer side of the free market talking about dumping them to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Regions Banks are charging $4.00 monthly ATM fee.

Unless you have direct deposit ($1500 or more per month) then they are waiving the ATM fee.

Good luck finding a bank that won't be charging ATM fees.

I still have free checking and a free debit card with Wells Fargo. No direct deposit required.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I used a debit card once to purchase something.  Credit cards are way better so I use them unless cash saves me money.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#34]
How much do they charge for you to just buy something with cash?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#35]
What in the FUCK is an aftermatch?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#36]
FUCK BOA ( Bend Over Again)

Quoted:.

I look at it the way gas stations charge for gasoline.  Who doesn't charge 9/10 of a penny on their signs?

I aint NEVER understood why this is

I know WHAT it is , but not why .

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Ah, Barney Frank works his legislative magic once again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Newflash - BofA sucks!
If someone ever frauds your checking account, BofA treats you like you did it and it takes months to get the money back.
Bloodsuckers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Where do you get that? Sounds like the consumer side of the free market talking about dumping them to me.

Yep, they are free to charge the fee, and I am free to find another bank or credit union.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's "Bawney Fwank wowks his wegiswative"
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

"Most Bank of America customers will soon see a new charge on their statements –– $5 for any month in which they use a BofA debit card to make a purchase.
Consumers should prepare for more such charges, analysts say, as big banks strive to recover revenue they have lost to financial reforms adopted in the aftermatch of the economic meltdown.

The new Bank of America fee will be phased in early next year, said Anne Pace, a spokeswoman for BofA, the nation's largest retail bank."

Good luck finding a bank that won't do this.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yup.  This is the result of Dodd-Frank

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Find a good, local credit union.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#44]
wtf?  They're still advertising for people to sign up for their "keep the change" debit-savings program where THEY PAY YOU to use your debit card
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Anybody who still banks with BofA deserves what they get.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

wtf?  They're still advertising for people to sign up for their "keep the change" debit-savings program where THEY PAY YOU to use your debit card

They are not paying you.

They just take the change to round up to the next whole dollar amount out of your checking account and put it in the savings account.

They might match the amount for a couple months as a sign up incentive.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#47]
And I can just imagine the army of highly paid executives having endless meetings to come to the decision to charge this fee.

BofA, like all these gigantic banks, are very top heavy management wise.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hope this causes people to reconsider which bank credit union they want to do business with.

Fixed it. Fuck the banks.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#49]
USAA FTMFW
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's "Bawney Fwank wowks his wegiswative"

Agree.  Bwaney Fwank needs to sleep with Teddy K.  Second, f*ck BoA.  I won't bank with them or Chase.  F*cking Chase tried to gyp me of my $10 key deposit when I closed a safety deposit box with them.  They told me it was a closing fee (down from $25 if I didn't find the other key).  I asked to see my contract and pointed out that the operative word was "deposit" and that the "deposit" should be returned.  The manager was consulted and I got my $10 back.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top