Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 6:12:22 PM EDT
I have been surfing a lot lately. I am totally new, and all my surfer buddies make me look like a fool, but it is soooooooooooooo much fun (Not to mention a killer workout)

Anyway, I got my first shark bump today. All surfers get them from time to time.
I paddled out about 40 yards off Vilano Beach on my Longboard (A Bhudda '9'2' for those who care [:D] ) and I was sitting waiting for a swell, when I felt something like sandpaper rub my leg real fast.
I TOTALLY FREAKED OUT. I knew exactly what it was. I waited hunched up on my deck, then, paddled in to shore like a bat out of hell..
My heart was beating a mile a minute, and I am still a bit charged from it (Although my friends say to get used to it, since it is common to be bumped at least 4-5 times per year when out surfing)

So, anyone else have a kewl shark story?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, thought you were talking about bump firing. [:)]  Shit McUZI, your a big boy.  Just dive down and wrestle that shark to the shore.  [:D]

I don't think I'd like to be bait for sharks out there.  The odds are high, but still...  Shivers...
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It could feed its whole family on me. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought you go laid!!

Sounds like great fun and scary as hell at the same time.  Next time you should take you 10mm pistol with you and cap that sharks arse!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have quite as an exciting story as you.

It was in 1970 after getting out of the Army two buddies and I went fishing at Punta Gorda on the West Coast of Florida in July.  We were drinking lots of cheap PBR beer.  We had a small 14' boat and a 7 hp motor.  We went about a half mile off shore and started fishing for sharks. After a couple of hours we were feeling no pain and a big thunder storm was moving in.  Thunder, lightining and heavy rain coming.  As we were pulling in our lines we hooked a very big hammerhead.  He was over 10' long and most likely was about 200 lbs.  We were not about to let him go.  He started to pull our little boat all over the place as the storm hit.  Eight foot waves, rain so hard you couldn't see 10' in front of you and lightining all over the place!  The hammerhead attacked the boat and between him and the storm managed to capsize the boat.  So there we were in the water, drunk, storm going on and a pissed of shark.  He charged us several times in an effort to make let go of the line.  It was scary as hell have that damn shark bump into your ass as lighining was striking all around.  We managed to hold on in spite of the storm and evendually were able to get the swamped boat, the shark and our drunk asses back to shore.  That evening we butchered his sorry ass and had grilled shark for supper.  Hammerheads don't taste all that good by the way but we didn't care.  We cut of his head and buried it an orange grove in Winter Haven for four months.  After the ants got through with it we had the best shark jaws you ever saw. Don't know how we managed to survive the storm and shark while being drunk but we somehow managed to get back to shore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
McUzi, Wow!

Shark fishing is getting more popular.  Make sure when your surfin' that some shark fisherman's chum slick, hasn't been carried your way by currents.  

After your latest post in the BRC Forum, some women may wish you to be eaten by sharks.

You are a trip in person my bug eatin' friend.
haha.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Being a South Florida Native, growing up I spent a lot of time in and around the ocean.
When I was a teenager, I got into snorkeling [b]BIG TIME[/b] 3-4 times a week minimum.
My snorkeling buddy Bobby and I( OK so it was MY idea...who is more foolish tho', the fool or the fool who follows him?[:o)] )came up with the bright idea that we had seen all the good local spots during daylight hours, we should do something different and check out one of the reefs at night.
Our first (and only) "Night Dive" was off the extreme south end of Ft.Lauderdale Beach at the jetties on the channel leading into Port Everglades. Since we only had one water tight flashlight between us, we decided that I would have the light swimming out & Bobby would have it on the way back in.
We hadn’t been in the water five minutes when I felt a tug at my fin, Bob thought he was funny, "haha man you should of seen your face".
I of course didn’t find it amusing at all. This happened 3 or 4 more times, I got either a tug on my fin or a bump in the leg.
When we had swum out to the end of the jetties, I got a [b]hard[/b] bump on my back. That was it I was PISSED. I had the flashlight in my hand, and was spinning around intending to smack the crap out of Bobby that last bump hurt. I did make contact with what it was that bumped me, tho' it wasn’t Bobby. Mr. Hammerhead had just bumped me.
Needless to say I didn’t [i]swim[/i]back to the beach, I got up on top of the water and [i]ran[/i]
Non-night divin,  
echo6

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
... Well, did you paddle or surf in?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Next time you should take you 10mm pistol
View Quote

While the 10mm is quite a nice round (I like it myself), I think the Gyrojet would work better for a large underwater target.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.sharkattacks.com/rightframe.htm[/url]

"HMMMMMMMMM, tastes like McChicken...!"

[img]http://www.dive.co.za/images/amos/img0006.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Call me chicken but I'm keeping my sorry arse here on shore even though all we have here are some sorry mudsharks out in the bay , and we're also home of the worlds largest octopus species .[peep]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#14]
[img]www.sharkattacks.com/sharkbites/surboardbitec.jpg[/img]

I would be worried!

medcop
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...when I felt something like sandpaper rub my leg real fast.
View Quote

The bumpy-doodles on a sharks flesh are called "dermal denticles". Basically, "skin teeth". Most sharks are smooth if you rub you head to tail. Try the other way, and some breeds will [b]SHRED[/b] your flesh...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Although being a CA native, sharks are the biggest reason why I never took up surfing. Did ya piss in your wet suit. I hear it keeps you warm. [;D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#18]
You weren't packing heat!! [shock]

[:D]

That would be it for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Ban sharks; it's for McUzi.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember just hanging out on my Waverunner and watching a gigantic bluefish go by which freaked me out. Damn shark rubbed up on your leg? Dude my wet suit would have been filled with piss!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Hermosia Beach  I was swiming where all us okies go out beyound the surf where the ocean becomes a lake.   Lived in Redondo but always went to Hermosia or Manhatten to swim,anyway something hit my right arm.

I'm treading water so I grab It,hits my left arm and I'm like the dude who's invented the Jonnie Wiesmiller draging buster crab to shore body surfer.    Get to shore and its only about the biggest Kelp bed ever recorded.

Sorry no shark but scarred the hell out of me!

Allways liked to go to Sana Monica to the Oar House to have the wind blown up my ass as I walked In!

Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Ya know, bumping can lead to banging if it's a mermaid you're talking about.  Is that why you guys paddle out there on those little floating boards? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Hell, I get bumped all the time.   Just the other day, I was waiting for my flight from LA to DC when the Stewardess announced that they overbooked the flight and that some of us would to take a later flight.

Geez, I fail to see what the big deal is!

[:P]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[b]Monster Hole[/b]
(South Sebastian Inlet)

Monster Hole only breaks on a solid swell, but when it breaks it offers the longest rides in Florida. Monster Hole will begin to break at chest to head high and is of course best with a light offshore wind. Crowds accumilate here quickly on a good day, since it doesn't break very often. The name of this spot comes from the fact that the area below Monster Hole is said to be a shark breeding ground. The paddle out to Monster Hole is through deep, dark water, and can play on your nerves very easily, but on a solid swell the paddle is well worth it. This spot is best if you go out with friends (but then again, what spot isn't.)

I've been "Bumped" twice in the past thirty years of surfin there.
If the mullet start jumping around you.. GIT YER FEET UP !!!

[img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/surfer.gif[/img]

View Quote

LOL, Chris! You need one of my SS bang-stick heads. Works on sharks as well as gators. My son hooked a hammerhead the other day (in the Gulf), but he never boated it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
... Well, did you paddle or surf in?
View Quote

I paddled, crying and wailing, into the shore where I summarily beached my deck (Scratched the hell out of the bottom), ran up on a sand dune, and curled up in the fetal position.. [;)]

Not really.
I was scared SHITLESS though. I could hear my heart like a drum in my ears, and I had tunnel vision for like 2 minutes afterward.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, its like I tell my wife when we go to the beach..."in over your knees your part of the food chain"
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
The LAST McUZI post.

We'll miss you. You taught me much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top