Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2011 5:02:13 PM EDT
My wife got diagnosed with Multiple Schlerosis back in 2007. She was in Pharmacy but had to leave work and will probably never work again unless a cure is discovered. Since she has been home she has discovered that she is talented at making earrings and necklaces out of beads and stuff.

The only problem is that if she tries to buy beads from a store it is expensive. So she goes to garage sales and meets people who sell beads on Craigslist. The problem with that is that there just isn't enough of that in Alaska to satisfy her needs so she has begun to search online in other cities for people selling beads. I don't really want her to get burned on Craigslist over some beads so I've decided to put out my feelers for her on this really awesome website called ARFcom....

Do any of you have a S/O that is into "beading" that would be willing to sell/trade beads? Or provide info on where to get this stuff cheap? I want to help her but I have no clue where to start.... help me ARfcom... you are my only hope!

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you're a fellow arfcommer AND Tman member, I inquired: wife said artbeads.com and fusionbeads.com.

Wife and daughter do a good bit of jewelry making and that's where they buy a good bit of their beads.
Plus a couple stores within 50 miles, but might not be a viable option for you up there.

Can you see any over in Russia?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Check etsy, ebay,and fireside gems. Try etsy first, more selection and cheaper. she can also sell her art there.

Also look into making your own from clay.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandmother is into the pandora bracelet craze. In the fall, my dad busted a pigeon out of a barn that happened to be a racing pigeon. He grabbed the little metal band and put it a jewelry box and gave it to her for Christmas and she loved it. Until he let it slip a few months later what it actually was
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My ex fiance is heavily into it.  She both buys from vendors and makes her own glass beads with a torch.  But I REALLY don't want to contact her right now.  She's still pissed off.
eta I actually set up her torch and oxygen system for her.  Lots of specialty tools, can get quite expensive for initial outlay if you buy from the artsy sites.  There are a TON of free demonstration/how to videos out there on the net.

If you go the roll your own route the big items you will need are a propane tank, a small desk top propane torch and an oxygen source.  I set her up with a refurbished medical oxygen generator, the kind that COPD patients use at home.  A kiln is required to fire the beads, they make tabletop models, they ain't cheap.  You could probably get a used pottery kiln that MIGHT be sufficient, I don't really know.  If I think of any other key points I'll update if you're interested.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Ebay and amazon. Gemshows-my wife did this part time and made a few hundred a month on a very part time basis.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
my girlfreind makes glas beead and has tutorials on how to do it. may not be what you are looking for to buy suplies but a nother avenue to get custume ones and to see if this is somthing that might intrest her to start make her own for that difernt style

links

nlcbeads.com
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear about your wife but I'm glad to hear she's keeping herself busy.

I know absolutely nothing about beads...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
SWMBO and I have a few pounds of beads and findings

here is a good place to buy from:

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]

TRG has a lot of experience with beads
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the responses... I'm hoping I get enough info that I can show her this thread and get her going....

I really appreciate all of the information and comments guys...

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know.... I saw the video....

- Clint

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, forgot to mention, whe also steals my Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gunworks catalogs and orders some trade silver/trinkets/bone/beads/etc from time to time.

Pro-tip: Save teeth and claws from trapping too!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.... I saw the video....

- Clint

Looked like somebody pulling the starter rope on an old Evinrude!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh, forgot to mention, whe also steals my Track of the Wolf and Dixie Gunworks catalogs and orders some trade silver/trinkets/bone/beads/etc from time to time.

Pro-tip: Save teeth and claws from trapping too!

- Clint

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
When we lived in DC we used to frequent this place

prices are for 16 inch strands

a 16 inch strand of 6mm jasper is ~7 bucks

their quality is top shelf and they do knock off 5-10 percent for bulk orders

We used to make and sell 100 dollar necklaces and 35 dollar bracelets

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
we also used to shop here:

they have more funky cool odd stuff than accents

i bought my carved knee knuckle tibetan skulls from them

or

at the "Intergalactic Bead shows"

There were always cool tables of stuff from very exotic locales

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
"Now, bees aren't cheap...

...are bees cheap?"
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
anal beads?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Since you're a fellow arfcommer AND Tman member, I inquired: wife said artbeads.com and fusionbeads.com.

Wife and daughter do a good bit of jewelry making and that's where they buy a good bit of their beads.
Plus a couple stores within 50 miles, but might not be a viable option for you up there.

Can you see any over in Russia?

My wife also uses artbeads.com. She likes that you can get small quantities without high shipping costs. Your wife might check this. Hope it goes well with her.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife has used and recommends this place: http://www.beadsgalore.com/

Hope your wife feels better.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.riogrande.com/ gets a lot of my wife's business.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#24]
probably not the cheapest, but I order from firemountaingems.com  They have decent discounts when ordering bulk.  Lots cheaper than buying local anyway.  I have heard that there are good prices at the tail end of local bead shows - I have not been to one.  I have been using stone beads only, so don't know anything about glass.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#25]
My mom makes glass beads in a kiln. You could try michaels i know they have a plethora of beads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the links and comments everybody.... she's logged on and reading the thread and clicking on the links! I appreciate all the help!

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Our friend with MS has lasted a long time on weed and interferon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the links and comments everybody.... she's logged on and reading the thread and clicking on the links! I appreciate all the help!

- Clint

My wife is heavily into beads and jewelry making.  Hits all the local bead and jewelry shows in DFW.  She likes http://www.firemountaingems.com/

IM me and I'll see if my wife is willing to trade or sell beads or wire....won't be able to reply until tomorrow evening.

mm
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Father is an apprentice jeweler in his retirement. He doesn't do beads, but buys his supplies at the same places that sell bead jewelry supply.

He recommends:

http://www.riogrande.com/

and

http://www.thunderbirdsupply.com/
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife uses happymangobeads.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#31]
My mother is into beads, I'll ask her.

ETA; Mom says she's got some stuff she'd give. IM me your address.

She hits all the shows and buys from Fire Mountain and Rio Grande.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Anal beads?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Thank you so much for all the feedback! really appreciate it! I'm a beginner beader and can use all the advice I can get. Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thank you so much for all the feedback! really appreciate it! I'm a beginner beader and can use all the advice I can get. Thanks again everyone!

Keep yo hands off my keys!

In case arfcom doesn't know, jewelry makers are predators of old typewriters.  I'm talking old like the Royal #10 pictured, not a 1950s manual.  There is not a huge demand for old typewriters, and many are in a deep state of disrepair.  The result is that they are cheap.   Jewelry makers covet the glass keys, buy them, pop the keys off, then put the rest in a metal recycling bin.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
And thanks from mom guys There were a few places she'd never heard of mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I've considered it but i'm too busy trying to use my looms for knitting.

However you may also want to consider amazon for cheap beads.  i mean it's free to look.

and hey that's something else she may want to try - knitting.  yarn can be cheap or expensive depending on the sale.  and hey scarves n hats are fun.

created my own patter for knifty knitter looms for a Jayne hat. ;)

OOO and speaking of jewelry ideas.  I saw this at a local artsy fartsy river festival a couple of weekends ago - Scrabble charms.

Seriously, people are putting tiny pictures on old scrabble letters and enameling them over and attaching necklace loops to them.  or putting them into bracelets.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
My "Wife" used to buy from a few bead shops around the valley. One is located in Palmer near the train depot, and another one is behind Chimos. Another is located along the parks, in that string of businesses by the family restaurant.

She also buys from stores like walmart, tears apart the jewelery and reuses the beads/parts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#38]
As a side note...

if you want some ideas - or a place to sell - consider http://www.etsy.com/
and if you want to laugh at people's dumb ideas go to http://www.regretsy.com/

am thinking of eventually trying the first if i ever have enough knitting worth selling
and am hoping i never see my own stuff on the second
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Wife buys all her stuff from Firemountain. They are the least expensive wholesale beading outfit she has found.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/

If Firemountain doesnt have what she wants she does the Riogrande. Mind you they are more expensive though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top