Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 9:38:14 AM EDT
WASHINGTON - Facing a Friday deadline, the Energy Department has approved two loan guarantees worth more than $1billion for solar energy projects in Nevada and Arizona.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the department has completed a $737 million loan guarantee to Tonopah Solar Energy for a 110 megawatt solar tower in Nevada, and a $337 million guarantee for Mesquite Solar 1 to develop a 150 megawatt solar plant in Arizona.

The loans were approved under the same program that paid for a $535 million loan to Solyndra Inc., a now-bankrupt solar panel maker that has become a rallying cry for Republican critics of the Obama administration's green energy program.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/130717383.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Whats that old maxium?

Oh yeah:

Never reinforce failure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whats that old maxium?

Oh yeah:

Never reinforce failure.

Interesting. That's the reverse of this administration's slogan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#3]
"I've cut this board three times now and it's still too short!"

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope & Change!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Solyndra, Lightsquared, Brightsource, . . . . .

Money laundering .

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Money laundering .

Yea.

I guess I understand what makes solar a "green" energy now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
friggen Chu is an idiot and this is blatant fraud.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

friggen Chu is an idiot and this is blatant fraud.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The kickbacks into the Obama campaign must be wonderful.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wonder what % of these will go straight back into Zero 2012?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Whats that old maxium?

Oh yeah:

Never reinforce failure.

no, no, no the maxim is: if it moves, tax it; if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

have you tried setting the board on fire?  burning it to length may fix it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this
Exactly what I was thinking.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure this is gonna end GREAT!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]
To be fair...

The DOE would also back loan guarantees if it was 2 nuclear power plants they were building.

These are actual power plants and unless someone really fucks up, won't go out of business.

They will just take 500 years to repay the loan because solar isn't very efficient right now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To be fair...

The DOE would also back loan guarantees if it was 2 nuclear power plants they were building.

These are actual power plants and unless someone really fucks up, won't go out of business.

They will just take 500 years to repay the loan because solar isn't very efficient right now.

Depending on the type of plants, they may be legitimately profitable.  Solar thermal is competitive with other forms of energy I think.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair...

Depending on the type of plants, they may be legitimately profitable.  Solar thermal is competitive with other forms of energy I think.

If they were legitimately positive ROI, the free market would be all over it.

It's subsidized crap that Chu pushes. Only a few places on the planet have the necessary insolation to make it net-positive (desert SW is it for the US)
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]
So far, Brightsource has lost more than they have made.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonder what % of these will go straight back into Zero 2012?

87%

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Keep telling me that I'm crazy to think this is purposeful.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Gotta loot the Treasury while they're still in power, if they wait until after the election it will be too late.  Carpe diem, and all that.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Surface, great...but everything that certainly lies underneath...disgusting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Keep telling me that I'm crazy to think this is purposeful.

You aren't.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#26]
$1B for 260MW, what a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's about the only conclusion a reasonable man can come too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

$1B for 260MW, what a fucking joke.

Green for green!

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#29]
The whole "we're broke" but handing out money cracks me up.  
Then I look my kid in the eye...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair...

It's subsidized crap that Chu pushes. Only a few places on the planet have the necessary insolation to make it net-positive (desert SW is it for the US)

You mean like Arizona and Nevada?

I dislike subsidies as much as the next guy, but trying to link these loans to the Solyndra debacle is intellectually dishonest.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair...

You mean like Arizona and Nevada?

I dislike subsidies as much as the next guy, but trying to link these loans to the Solyndra debacle is intellectually dishonest.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Money laundering .

I don't think you know what money laundering is. This isn't Obama's money that he earned through illegal means. This is TAXPAYER money. Now whether he received a kickback and launders that is another issue. The fucking stupidest part is how we continue to hand out loans, grants, foreign aid, etc when we are BORROWING money ourselves. There really is no hope for our country. If we have all of this extra money to hand out, we SHOULDN'T have to to be borrowing money, nor should taxes be as high as they are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

have you tried setting the board on fire? burning it to length may fix it.

Or just make a new tape measure that says the board is perfect.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#34]
IBTB

In Before The Bankruptcy
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats that old maxium?

Oh yeah:

Never reinforce failure.

Interesting. That's the reverse of this administration's slogan.

That would depend upon the differences between our definitions for "success" and "failure" vs. Obamas.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money laundering .

I don't think you know what money laundering is. This isn't Obama's money that he earned through illegal means. This is TAXPAYER money. Now whether he received a kickback and launders that is another issue. The fucking stupidest part is how we continue to hand out loans, grants, foreign aid, etc when we are BORROWING money ourselves. There really is no hope for our country. If we have all of this extra money to hand out, we SHOULDN'T have to to be borrowing money, nor should taxes be as high as they are.

Embezzler OTUS .
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Check this out - $6.5B for <300 new jobs! Go DOE!!!

DOE Mulls Green Energy Loans At $23 Million Per Job

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#38]
http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/solyndra-exec-board-737m-loan-gaurantee

Steve Mitchell and Argonaut Private Equity might have a chance to recoup some of their losses in the Solyndra debacle now that the Department of Energy has given a $737 million dollar loan guarantee to a company backed by Argonaut that also lists Mitchell as a "board participant."

Mitchell served on the Solyndra LLC Board of Directors and reportedly still serves on the board. Mitchell serves as a "board participant" for Solar Reserve, the parent company to Tonopah Solar (the Tonopah Solar email address even routes to a Solar Reserve account) and his Solar Reserve biography says that he "currently sits on the Boards of Directors of . . . Solyndra" and several other companies. Despite the Solyndra failure, the Department of Energy continues to provide loan guarantees to solar companies, giving Tonopah Solar a $737 million loan guarantee for a project in Nevada.

Along with...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/crony-capitalism-737-million-green-jobs-loan-given-nancy-pelosis-brother-law_594593.html

On SolarReserve's website is a list of "investment partners," including the "PCG Clean Energy & Technology Fund (East) LLC." As blogger American Glob quickly discovered, PCG's number two is none other than "Ronald Pelosi, a San Francisco political insider and financial industry polymath who happens to be the brother-in-law of Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives."...

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Money laundering .

Yea.

Dangit . . . how do I get mine!!!  I need to start a wind plant here in KY . . . or . . . that's it!!!

I will start a THOROUGHBRED powerplant!!!!  All the turbines will be hooked up to treadmills that the horses will run on!!!  The motive power runs on grass . . . infinitely renewable!!!

They will need to start the grant moey at about $1.5 billion, though . . . KY horse farms are expensive!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Along with...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/crony-capitalism-737-million-green-jobs-loan-given-nancy-pelosis-brother-law_594593.html

On SolarReserve's website is a list of "investment partners," including the "PCG Clean Energy & Technology Fund (East) LLC." As blogger American Glob quickly discovered, PCG's number two is none other than "Ronald Pelosi, a San Francisco political insider and financial industry polymath who happens to be the brother-in-law of Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives."...

Rage bump.  Money laundering indeed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Money laundering .

Yea.

Greenback energy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Federal Mafia..
These assholes are no different than the real one.
The difference being one goes to jail for crimes one does not.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#43]
lets all pray the country lasts until nov 2012
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#44]
That $737 Million loan went to Pelosi's brother in law.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Good Grief, this shit is as blatantly fraudulent as you can get.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I've said this before and I will say it again. This is also backed up by the EU's trial and failure of Solar plants.

SOLAR DOES NOT WORK AT A GRID LEVEL.

The only thing that is going to be effective at providing us any power going into the future is advanced nuclear technologies, Specifically LFTR's.

China is currently building one. It will be a sad day when china rules the world simply because we were too interested in stupid ass shit to get off our asses and do some research like we use to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair...

I did the math on I think this plant or one like it, even with no maintenance costs and if it could run at 100% capacity for life it will be like 75 years before it becomes profitable. This is nothing but a pay off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top