Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 7:10:28 AM EDT
The "free" mail, anyhow.  "Free" is in quotes because they collect info from you to market to you...so I don't consider it free in the sense that it is free and clear.

Is the premium mail better?  I'd be willing to pay for the mail to fricken load faster, not hang up, and not respond to my inputs.

To me, it seems like the service trended downward when Microsoft acquired them, and just got terrible with the "new and improved" yahoo mail.

Anyone else?

FWIW - I already have adblock which eliminates much of the targeted advertisements on yahoo mail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
gmail
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
gmail

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
gmail

Yup.

Yep.

Yahoo mail sucks because it isn't gmail.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The "free" mail, anyhow.  "Free" is in quotes because they collect info from you to market to you...so I don't consider it free in the sense that it is free and clear.

Is the premium mail better?  I'd be willing to pay for the mail to fricken load faster, not hang up, and not respond to my inputs.

To me, it seems like the service trended downward when Microsoft acquired them, and just got terrible with the "new and improved" yahoo mail.

Anyone else?

FWIW - I already have adblock which eliminates much of the targeted advertisements on yahoo mail.

gmail works better and you are not as apt to have your acct hacked, however they data mine the shit out of everything you do on there and sell it. Get your own domain and email address at godaddy.com or myhosting.com and then you won't have to worry about ppl screwing with your emails.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
gmail

Yup.

Yep.

Yahoo mail sucks because it isn't gmail.

OVER
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#6]
My yahoo email works ok, but that maybe due to the fact that I have never upgraded it.  I still use the very old style.  The newer versions seem to run slower.

Just move to gmail
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Gmail
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
They recently updated mine and it is a lot slower to load. But it is still free so I keep it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I still use classic yahoo email, not the new one.  

Classic is OK.

When they force me to go to the new one, I plan to stop using yahoo.  Too slow, it sucks, all that.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My yahoo email works ok, but that maybe due to the fact that I have never upgraded it.  I still use the very old style.  The newer versions seem to run slower.

Just move to gmail

I never "upgraded" mine either and it works fine. Revert back to the old style and you'll be fine. It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Disable javascript and it will prompt you to either go back to the old version once or from now on. Choose the latter and it will revert back to classic every time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Microsoft bought Yahoo Mail?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I am using Yahoo and I have never converted to the newer version. The old version works just fine for me. The problem is that when you want your email service to do other things beside do email. I just want email service and no more, no chat, no social networking etc etc
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Yahoo account whose sole purpose is to give an email address to websites that require a verified address when I want to do something on their site but don't actually want any contact with them.   I get tons of spam on it, but I don't care.  I just log in periodically and delete anything there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fuck Yahoo.

Get Gmail.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Been on yahoo for years.   It works.  I still use the yahoo classic, no interest in the newer versions.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a Yahoo account whose sole purpose is to give an email address to websites that require a verified address when I want to do something on their site but don't actually want any contact with them.   I get tons of spam on it, but I don't care.  I just log in periodically and delete anything there.

I do the exact same thing. My yahoo account is unusable anyway-who has time to wade through 22,000 spams just to find a single legit message?

At the office I use redundant Zimbra servers for our 500+ employees. Upstream of the Zimbra boxen is a spam and virus firewall hosted by Greenview Data in Michigan. Their service pays for itself with the money saved on bandwidth by keeping spam out of my servers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Yahoo works great here. I just use the messaging app on my EVO to sync to my account never use the web portal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Disable javascript and it will prompt you to either go back to the old version once or from now on. Choose the latter and it will revert back to classic every time.

That got it - thank you.  Noscript + reverted to the "classic" makes for must better experiences.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That got it - thank you.  Noscript + reverted to the "classic" makes for must better experiences.

I found out myself from a past thread here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Because it's not gmail...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
The word "Yahoo" should have told you all you need to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top