Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 2:52:20 PM EDT
Seeing the thread on how the folks in AZ deal with heat got me thinking. Since summer's coming (if not already here in some parts), it's going to start getting warm in my home office (not connected to the house).

Thus, I'm considering getting one of those portable air conditioning units, like a Pinguino or Toyotomi (sp?). Anyone used one? If so, do they work as well as the AC units that fit into your window? (Like those since they're cheaper and seem to be very effective, but I don't like the hole you've got to have in the wall or space taken in the window, plus wouldn't they be fairly easily removed to allow illegal entry of premises?) TIA [:)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
my window unit is a beast to move, so if someone tried removing it to break in it would probably fall on them and break some bones, plus where I live people would undoubtedly see the crook. the way mine is I could put some sort of brace on top of the window to keep it from being opened any farther which would keep anyone from moving the AC unit out of the window. It'd be just as easy to break a different window than remove the AC.
my only complaint is that there is now a little space that bugs can get in through
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
kato4moto, I'm in the same predicament.  I've got one room in my house I need to cool, but hate the idea of adding a (for lack of a better word) trashy looking window unit.  I'm considering venting it into a closet (that has a solid door), and venting the floor of the closet to under the house.  Years ago, a friend added an RV air conditioner to the ceiling of his bedroom.  It vented into the attic, and didn't look as bad as it sounds.

I just saw a Goldstar window unit for sale for $118 at Lowe's.  It's hard to spend a lot more on a portable unit given those prices.  You can put a nail above the lower window on each side into the window frame to keep someone from raising it.  If you're paranoid, nailing-up a 1x1 on each side would make it even more secure.  I have always put my window unit air conditioners at the top of the window.  I like having the airflow higher (not in your face), and it would require a ladder for someone to climb through the window if they knocked the unit out.  In the past, I've bought motel air conditioners and installed them in relative's houses.  You just have to cut a wide and low space out to mount them.  They're cheap, if you pick them up at the right time, and effective.z
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Portable ac at home depot for 399.

The only draw back is emptying the water accumulated.  like a dehumidifier

Unless it had some sort of drain option, I think I would opt not to have it [:)]

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind ALL AC UNITS remove water from the air and it must go somewhere.  They do make condensate pumps if you need one.  (Little Giant company).  

ALL AC UNITS make heat.  At least 1.3 times what they remove.  It must be gotten rid of.  They really need a LOT of outside air at ambient temperature.  Venting them into any enclosed space like an attic is doomed.

What you may be thinking of is a "Mini Split System" such as Mitsubishi or others.  These work just fine.  Only hole is for tubing and electric.  May pay more but they are OK if you buy decent quality.

Yea, I do it for a living....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top