Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/27/2011 5:45:04 PM EDT
Based on this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1235037_28_yr__old_male_cannot_change_battery_.html

what skills, among those that every man SHOULD have, do you NOT have?

For instance:

I can shoot well, fix my own vehicle including changing out things like clutches, transmissions, etc., I can cook, hunt and fish.

I can start a fire with a rubber chicken and a bowling ball.....

I can mend my own clothes, dress myself, I'm a very good gun crank.  I can work on my computer well enough with you folks' help.

I can land nav very well, love outdoor stuff but can order in a fine restaurant, and so on.
But let me tell you my darkest secret....................

I CANNOT, FOR THE LIFE OF ME........
BACK UP A TRAILER.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Navigational Awareness.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I tired to give myself stitches like in the movies, but failed and used superglue instead.

So if you ever plan to sew yourself up with a needle and thread, take some classes first it's not as easy as in the movies.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
throw a baseball.  i can do pretty much everything else.  just never was any good at it, so i never tried to get better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I can get lost on dead end blocks.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Define "necessary" without using that dumbass Heinlein quote.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I tired to give myself stitches like in the movies, but failed and used superglue instead.

So if you ever plan to sew yourself up with a needle and thread, take some classes first it's not as easy as in the movies.

Oh, indeed.  That's something you gotta know how to do....there are specific loops and knots, etc.

Oh...and cleaning the wound....ya know...the kinda stuff that keeps you from getting DEAD.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I kin do 'er all.....

Hell, who needs a bowling ball??
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never changed my own oil.   I am pretty sure that I could, but I find it's easier paying someone else to do it.

and I can't cook a steak worth a fuck.  it's either too raw or too well done.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

throw a baseball.  i can do pretty much everything else.  just never was any good at it, so i never tried to get better.

I'm gonna go with this. My wife gives me a hard time because she can throw harder and farther than I can.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Define "necessary" without using that dumbass Heinlein quote.

Like.....to be able to get by in the world with the nominally least assistance in most every day crisis'

...and....what's wrong with that quote?

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Im terrible at electrical shit. Like wiring lights and what not
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, indeed.  That's something you gotta know how to do....there are specific loops and knots, etc.

Oh...and cleaning the wound....ya know...the kinda stuff that keeps you from getting DEAD.

The cleaning and post-op care was no problem, It was a nasty cut and took months to heal but it's back to 99% now with no trips to the doctor for an infection or antibiotics. I just never realized how hard skin is to sew without the right tools/training.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Im terrible at electrical shit. Like wiring lights and what not

NO shame in that, Brother.  Electricity can SEEM straightforward.....but it can also be very counter intuitive.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't swim worth a damn.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I normally have to use both hands to kill a man.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't know. Haven't had the opportunity to do a lot of manskills. Done pretty well at everything I've had a reason to attempt, though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't pee standing up.  I sit down and just kind of let it dribble down my inner thigh.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cleaning and post-op care was no problem, It was a nasty cut and took months to heal but it's back to 99% now with no trips to the doctor for an infection or antibiotics. I just never realized how hard skin is to sew without the right tools/training.

HINT: Stapler

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Conn a ship? Fuck you, I hate boats.

I can plot a course factoring in wind drift, magnetic deviation and then fly that adjusted magnetic heading and then land the tailwheel plane Im flying at my destination airport in a good crosswind....but fuck boats.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I can't pee standing up.  I sit down and just kind of let it dribble down my inner thigh.

Your DEHYDRATED!!!

Drink water, Dummy!!!  

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I can not ride a buffalo.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't weld... not sure that's basic enough to be a 'necessary man skill', tho... it can be a little advanced.

Maybe sewing a button back on my pants?  Or is that a 'necessary woman skill'??
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I cannot weld.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
About the only thing I can't at least stumble through is welding.

I just got a barely used Lincoln gas powered welding machine in trade, so I am teaching myself.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Carpentry.

I can fix most things mechanical.
I can weld fairly well.
I can even do electrical and plumbing (but I hate both).

But I can't build a square wood box.
It won't be level either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm lousy with motors (but I did fix my own dryer).

However, I can service any pistol and revolver.  I can build a flintlock with hand tools (can't make a barrel or lock from scratch though).  

I can't throw a ball to save my life (but I can handle a shotgun).

I can make fire with flint 'n steel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Conn a ship? Fuck you, I hate boats.

I can plot a course factoring in wind drift, magnetic deviation and then fly that adjusted magnetic heading and then land the tailwheel plane Im flying at my destination airport in a good crosswind....but fuck boats.
Damn....me neither.  

ACTUALLY: this is one of the items I have been working on a bit.  I love to kayak...but have never been on the sea in one.  I am very good with land nav...but the sea is different.  WAYYYYYY different.  Fortunately, my dad ( who is the one who got me into kayaks ) is a pilot.  So, it's a skill we can work on together.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not good with guts and stuff. I'll kill whatever to feed whoever, but I'm not cleaning it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Only thing I can do with a car is change the oil and tire. Never really learned cars. That and electrical stuff, not my thing. I could frame you a house but that's where it ends.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't really know.

Pretty much a generalist.  Even things I haven't done before I seem to be able to figure out, for the most part.  There are, however, many things I do not have knowledge of.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never changed my own oil.   I am pretty sure that I could, but I find it's easier paying someone else to do it.

????

I'm confused, what does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Navigate a coastline. Especially at night. My dad can do it though. Even in pitch black. He just knows where he is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can make fire with flint 'n steel.

Oy...I don't know how to make a fire unless I've got dry matches, or a working lighter.
Or, rather, I'm familiar with the concept, but suck at actually making a fire with simple stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

????

I think he means "still on the hoof."  

So he's complaining that he makes it right occasionally?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#39]
My wolf stare could use some shoring up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't dance to save my life.

My dad is like Fred Astaire on the dance floor, but none of those genes made it to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

????

I think he means "still on the hoof."  

Meh, run it by the fire and I'll cut a chunk off as it goes by.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Welding

Large animal husbandry

edited to add-Make something out of wood and have it be visually pleasing.  I can make it strong and durable, but it will look like a 7th grade shop project (a "C" project at that)

never had sufficient exposure to either

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Based on this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1235037_28_yr__old_male_cannot_change_battery_.html

what skills, among those that every man SHOULD have, do you NOT have?

For instance:

I can shoot well, fix my own vehicle including changing out things like clutches, transmissions, etc., I can cook, hunt and fish.

I can start a fire with a rubber chicken and a bowling ball.....

I can mend my own clothes, dress myself, I'm a very good gun crank.  I can work on my computer well enough with you folks' help.

I can land nav very well, love outdoor stuff but can order in a fine restaurant, and so on.

But let me tell you my darkest secret....................

I CANNOT, FOR THE LIFE OF ME........

BACK UP A TRAILER.  

Pussy!!!

All you gotta do is everything opposite from what you think you should do and then do it backward.  Duhh!!!!

Metal has got me beat.  I can bend it if it's skinny enough, I can poke holes in it or chop parts of it off if it's not too hard but I know dick about sticking bits of it together.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

this iis a man post WTF is too raw?

My wood working usually comes out lookiing like i put the puzzle pieces together wrong. If it's metal i can do anything but wood kicks my ass

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I cannot weld.

This

Never learned how to weld.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Practice, and remember to put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel.  The direction you move the wheel will determine the same direction for the trailer.  

Oh boy...here we go....

No, put your right hand at the top of the steering wheel and never move it. You always need to know where TDC of the steering wheel is.

Then past that the most important thing to remember is look past the trailer at a point and make sure to hold that point in reference to your trailer is, always making those little adjustments as necessary.

*disclaimer, do whatever work for you, but this is how I learned to back a 53' semi trailer*
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I can navigate my way out of the deepest darkest back country.  But put me in the middle of a shopping mall and tell me to find the exact door I came in... it would never happen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I can navigate my way out of the deepest darkest back country.  But put me in the middle of a shopping mall and tell me to find the exact door I came in... it would never happen.

That's a wimmenz skill.  Don't fret it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#50]
This

Live by it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top