Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2011 10:05:00 AM EDT
Hey guys,

can someone clarify what is deemed pinning a stock?

I have a Kriss Super V and took it to a shop to get a compact bag for it. The LE people at the store highly recommended that I pin the stock.

I have looked at the Kriss Stock before moving to NY and figured out a way to pin the stock without permanently damaging anything.

The Kriss Super V is held together by 4 pins and one pin to hold the stock onto the upper reciever, where the hinge is.

There is a large release button on the left side of the stock to release it and allow the stock to fold.

I removed the stock and looking down at the catch of the stock. there is a small square hole. I filled that hole with a piece of plastic from a large zip tie. it is a perfect fit. I then used a strip of gaffer tape to cover up the ziptie piece, so it cant fall out when the stock is detached.

Now I have to slide the stock on sideways, let the catch engage and then insert the hinge pin.

You cannot fold the stock unless you pop the hinge pin. Also you cannot get to the plastic ziptie block without removing the stock.

This should satisfy the folding stock issue with my Kriss right?

i will post pics when I get home.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it a law in your state to pin the stock? // Why would you want to pin the stock for?

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it a law in your state to pin the stock? // Why would you want to pin the stock for?

Sounds like he's moving to New York.

Not to side-track this, but how do you like the Kriss? I've been toying around with setting one up as a suppressed SBR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think he's moving to NY I can't fucking tell.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

can someone clarify what is deemed pinning a stock?

I have a Kriss Super V and took it to a shop to get a compact bag for it. The LE people at the store highly recommended that I pin the stock.

I have looked at the Kriss Stock before moving to NY and figured out a way to pin the stock without permanently damaging anything.

The Kriss Super V is held together by 4 pins and one pin to hold the stock onto the upper reciever, where the hinge is.

There is a large release button on the left side of the stock to release it and allow the stock to fold.

I removed the stock and looking down at the catch of the stock. there is a small square hole. I filled that hole with a piece of plastic from a large zip tie. it is a perfect fit. I then used a strip of gaffer tape to cover up the ziptie piece, so it cant fall out when the stock is detached.

Now I have to slide the stock on sideways, let the catch engage and then insert the hinge pin.

You cannot fold the stock unless you pop the hinge pin. Also you cannot get to the plastic ziptie block without removing the stock.

This should satisfy the folding stock issue with my Kriss right?

i will post pics when I get home.

There is no approved means to pin stocks. There is a ton of grey areas but there is nothing that is really spelled out. If you can make it work again without the use of tools or destroying at least the pin I am going to say you are on the edge of the grey area into the danger area.  Also depends on where in NY you are moving.  LI or the lower hudson valley?  Not sure I would be cool.  Start moving upstate and you would likely not be harrassed
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread just gave me dejavu.  I swear I have read a thread just like this one with the same exact replies but it was a few months ago.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I doubt a zip tie and some tape would be acceptable. You might look into somehow drilling thru the hinge pin and making it not swivel with some roll pins and JB weld. Or even some kind of plate perminantly attached over the hinge. Sucks to destroy stuff due to dumb laws but is jail time worth a few bucks of plasitc?

I had to neuter stocks during the AWB, still makes me sad
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

before moving to NY

Why would you do that to yourself?

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like he's moving to New York.

Not to side-track this, but how do you like the Kriss? I've been toying around with setting one up as a suppressed SBR.

I love the Kriss. One thing you can do, to help save money and tax stamp filing is to get the CARBINE and taxstamp for a suppressor. then permanently attach the suppressor to the Carbine. No need for SBR tax stamp.

Anyway I already moved to NY last October. Been here a year and havent shot anything. I moved to Rockland County which is lower Hudson Valley.

NYS does not allow two of the AWB critieria. One for sure is the folding stock. So i have to do something about it. The second one is the "pistol grip" which is debateable since the letter of the law is "conspicuous grip that protrudes beneath the action of the gun" On the Kriss, the grip does NOT protrude conspicuously and it is behind the action. However it is real gray area.  

Here are some pictures of what I did to "pin" the stock.

Here you can see the channel that the catch slides back into in order to release the stock from the upper receiver.

This piece from a large Ziptie is a perfect fit for that channel.

Then I taped it over so the piece cant fall out.

Then I slide the stock to the left and when the hinge holes line up, I put the sling mount pin through it.

My sling mount pin is installed using a small hex wrench. Normally the stock pin is a simple push pin. one of the LEO suggested I use a non standar screw like a torx rather than hex. I will look into that. You cannot close the stock now without removing the stock sling mount pin.

I look at this like an AR-15 with full sized M-16 stock. Those stocks do not need to be permanently attached to the lower receiver. They are held with a bolt.  Same as mine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top