Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2011 3:49:09 PM EDT

Photo taken on a Sunday morning outside a sporting goods store at a shopping mall.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you know what constitutes "official use"?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://home.mchsi.com/the_reaper/Government Plate1.jpg

Photo taken on a Sunday morning outside a sporting goods store at a shopping mall.

http://home.mchsi.com/the_reaper/Government Plate2.jpg

That's nice.

Did you bother to ask what they were doing or just make an assumption.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How do you know what constitutes "official use"?

I never said it wasn't for official use.

You inferred it.

But come on, it is a little funny.

Hell, maybe it is ATF for all I know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Did you want that parking space?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Not uncommon.  See them outside all sorts of stores.  Usually buying things in bulk for thier department and/or unit.  Hell, sometimes visiting units will call around to see if a local business can fill a need because if it can be done that way, they will.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
ATF inspection of all the guns on display.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
CSB
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

maybe he had to take dump inside???
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
there to pick up "tactical" gear at scheels.

.Gov can buy from any vendor it wants, maybe scheels was having a sale on ski masks.......
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#10]
yep and people get sent out of town, out of state often on weeks to month long details etc
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not uncommon.  See them outside all sorts of stores.  Usually buying things in bulk for thier department and/or unit.  Hell, sometimes visiting units will call around to see if a local business can fill a need because if it can be done that way, they will.

On a Sunday?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would have to be an 'official' dump then, wouldn't it...

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would have to be an 'official' dump then, wouldn't it...

yes sir  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?

I'm glad the morality police are here...
Why don't you just mind your own business OP?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?

Unfortunately, some gov't employees have to work weekends...

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?
Sometimes it isnt a m-f job...I get an email from HQ, you have recieved 1K in unit funds it has to be all spent by 1700 Sunday etc...guess what, you got to go spend it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the "Farm Use" vehicles parked in front of Best Buy that get me
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?

MY FUCKING TAX DOLLARS, THAT'S WHY!  

I couldn't give a shit care less if it was anyone else.

But when the average person might wonder if the vehicle was really being used for "official business", I take notice.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's the "Farm Use" vehicles parked in front of Best Buy that get me

Gotta admit, I've never seen that one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps it's a recruiter picking up a [potential] recruit from his place of work, to take him down to the recruiting office or MEPS? I was picked up from work several times by recruiters, and have seen several of them do the same thing to others I know.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Perhaps it's a recruiter picking up a [potential] recruit from his place of work, to take him down to the recruiting office or MEPS? I was picked up from work several times by recruiters, and have seen several of them do the same thing to others I know.

Maybe.  

Maybe it is 100% legit, and I was out of line for assuming it was anything but.

Sorry if I offended anyone by thinking it was anything but official use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been to a few different places like training centers or ships/ports that have "morale vans" or whatever they call them now. Sometimes those government vehicles give soldiers or sailors rides into different places in town like Walmart, restaurants, bars, etc.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there a recruiter's office in that mall?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Negative.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#25]
...cool story br...nvm
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have been to a few different places like training centers or ships/ports that have "morale vans" or whatever they call them now. Sometimes those government vehicles give soldiers or sailors rides into different places in town like Walmart, restaurants, bars, etc.  
And while on TDY you can use them to go eat.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#27]
For what it's worth...

I got a ticket and a page entry in my SRB when I dropped some guy's off near the PX on Camp Courtney.

Just for coming within so many feet of the place...

The policy seems to be a little more relaxed these days or...

Recently, I was at 29 Palms and a .gov van pulled up at the restaurant I was eating at, 10-12 Marines in civvies came in to order...

I asked who was driving the van, they all got hesitant, I said, "Well at least try to hide the thing!"

One finally proclaimed, "Yes sir!"

I bought them all lunch.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#28]
What about DHS suburbans? I was at a local outlet mall and I noticed a black suburban with covert emergency lights and DHS tags, there was a 10 year old kid in the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Sioux City?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?

But when the average person might wonder if the vehicle was really being used for "official business", I take notice.

So because you pay "FUCKING TAX DOLLARS" you feel that you have the right to judge solely based on the fact that on a Sunday you saw a Gov't tagged vehicle parked in sporting goods parking lot?

herpin and derpin eh?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread will not go the way OP had intended.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.

If that is the Southern Hills Mall in Sioux City Iowa, there is an Iowa Army National Guard office in that building.
It is on the main level, address 1C, right next to Scheels.  In your photo, it would be just to the left of Scheels.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#33]
If you are that concerned report it the fraud hotline..

I work for the state gov and used to travel a LOT - (max was 3 wk at a time, including weekends - to the tune of 130 nights in a year)...

When Im traveling for work I am NOT sitting in the hotel surfing arfcom during my off time.. I go out to eat... shop.. go to the movies.. or just to browse around..

Nothing wrong with what i do.. And totaly within reason for a gov employee..

Brian
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And while on TDY you can use them to go eat.

We drive GVs everyday at work since we normally do work about 100 miles in any direction on any given day(including weekends).  If we are away from the shop we stop to eat out usually, time permitting. That may include parking it at a restaurant that also shares a parking lot with a variety of other businesses or a mall, who knows.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On a Sunday?

Calm down....

They can be used for people on long TDY's (military business trip) to go eat, see a movie, etc.

Don't get caught parking the thing outside of a bar or strip joint.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

If you are that concerned report it the fraud hotline..

I work for the state gov and used to travel a LOT - (max was 3 wk at a time, including weekends - to the tune of 130 nights in a year)...

When Im traveling for work I am NOT sitting in the hotel surfing arfcom during my off time.. I go out to eat... shop.. go to the movies.. or just to browse around..

Nothing wrong with what i do.. And totaly within reason for a gov employee..

Brian

+1

You can do the same in a rental or a company car when on a long trip....

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?

Calm down....

They can be used for people on long TDY's (military business trip) to go eat, see a movie, etc.
Don't get caught parking the thing outside of a bar or strip joint.

Yep, big no no...also part of the counseling when you agree to use the vehicle, also no family members are allowed in them at anytime.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe you got 8 guys from out of state at camp dodge, who are bored out of their minds being trapped there?  I'd get teh hell outta Dodge on the weekend too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Someone needs to write "WASH ME" on the back of it
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Could be recruiters buying something for their DEP'rs.
Could be someone on official business procuring something.

Next time, stay there and have the balls to ask.

Seriosuly...we have guys pissed at cops for going fast today and now this.

I miss the TSA threads.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe a recruiter's poolee needs running shoes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Done the same thing

Stop at mall for chow etc on TDY

At least he didn't have the Valet at the strip club park it for him
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Hell, we have a bunch of them parked at the mall here, 24/7/365. All branches of service recruiters offices are located in the mall.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#44]
God forbid soldiers have athletic supplies...
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We are only authorized to get them washed once per month on the GSA CC:....

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Is there a recruiting office in that mall?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a Sunday?

So because you pay "FUCKING TAX DOLLARS" you feel that you have the right to judge solely based on the fact that on a Sunday you saw a Gov't tagged vehicle parked in sporting goods parking lot?

herpin and derpin eh?

I worked yesterday, driving my government owned vehicle around, you know the ones, government tags, government markings.  Maybe that was my van he's referring to here, and yet he's flippin his shit because he pays "Fucking tax dollars."  I wonder if he realizes how little his precious tax dollars contributes to that vehicle.  My tax dollars, your tax dollars, his tax dollars, when it all boils down to it, he paid for $0.0000000001 of that van, so I can understand him being upset.  That may be a lot of money for him.  I think we should all just bow out and let him vent some more.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are only authorized to get them washed once per month on the GSA CC:....

They used to make our E-4 and below wash our GVs by hand every week
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Apparently Life Memberships do not guarantee common sense.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Everyone knows that when you park the GOV somewhere its not supposed to be, you take off the plates.   DUH!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top