Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 11:27:12 AM EDT
after every shoot i use just regular hopps and clean it.  including the bore and internal parts.  should i use other stuff too?  how about lubricants?  anyone recomend a cleaning kit for the back of the stock too?  thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you shooting?  What kind of gun is it?  What kind of ammo are you using?  

Need to know!  People use different cleaning/lubricating things for different firearms.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
After 550+ post your just now asking this question?  We need details.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Since your talking about a kit to put in the back of the stock I guess your talking about an AR.  Yes your supposed to lube your rifle per the manual that came with it.  Has it been working with it not lubed?  Waiting for an explanation.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#4]
CLP
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
bushy ar15 black hills ammo and winchester and pmc. thats about it.  i have always cleaned it but not really lubed. any sugjestions?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
bushy ar15 black hills ammo and winchester and pmc. thats about it.  i have always cleaned it but not really lubed. any sugjestions?
View Quote

Alright... :)

Well, Hoppe's is great for cleaning the bore.  I usually put a wet patch through, let it sit for a few, then make a few passes with a bronze brush (don't use them steel brushes!), followed by a few dry patches, then a wet patch, then a few dry patches.  I usually repeat that a few times.  As always, clean from the breech, not the muzzle.  For everything else use CLP.  That's what spec calls for.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a ton of things out there you can use.  If you are talking about an AR...then it's already been suggested that you use CLP.  I recommend you follow that advice.  Cleaning methods are as variable as people.  Everybody has their favorite way to get their piece clean.
What you just have to remember is that it (Whatever firearm your talking about...) needs to be cleaned well then lightly lubed up and wiped down.  Personally, I use Powder Blast on the internals that get all grungy, dismantle the bolt assy and scrub well, scrub/brush out the receiver guts and wipe well, clean the bore with rifle bore cleaner or Hoppe's, wipe out with a couple of patches, then redo the whole bore process with CLP  (I am totally anal when it comes to a clean AR!).  Last steps are to wipe down the outside and carefull wipe the lenses of the ACOG with the little applicator provided.  Occasionally, I even dismantle the mags and brush them out well.
Lots of guys swear they don't clean their ARs very often and they do just fine (no fail to fire or feed or jams).  I'm not so trusting.  My Colt can be a bit finicky.  She ain't no AK and she likes lots of TLC.

So...what IS the firearm we are talking about?

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The 2 brands of cleaning kits that seem to be most popular here are Dewey and Otis.
I use Breakfree CLP (Cleaner ,Lubricant and Protectant)-some have issues with Breakfree's political side.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Look under Articles-->Maintain an AR15. Its the dropdown list directly above the email button on the top of your screen. Read it, learn it, live it, and love it. Then, if you have any questions, Ask away....Personally, i use CLP as a lube after cleaning....
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please remember that Pro Shot Products were sponsors of the BRC and their rods are far, far superior to the Dewey's, except for snobbish brand appeal.  Polished stainless rods cannot harm your bore and the cost is similar.  Coated rods can hold debris that is not good to put back in.  
View Quote

Beekeper, good point. I was unaware of the fact that they were sponsors. Considering I'm in the market for a new rod, ProShot gets my business.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Hoppes #9 for cleaning and it's excellent for that, but for lube use Break Free CLP. I usually spray on a light coat or put a drop on my finger and work it into all the moving parts. You can get Break Free at any gunshop or even Wal-Mart (go to Wal-Mart last).
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please remember that Pro Shot Products were sponsors of the BRC and their rods are far, far superior to the Dewey's, except for snobbish brand appeal.  Polished stainless rods cannot harm your bore and the cost is similar.  Coated rods can hold debris that is not good to put back in.  
View Quote

I know more benchrest shooters that use coated rods than stainless.  Not to mention other competition shooters.  As with any cleaning rod, wipe it off after every bore pass.

I use brake cleaner and Lubricant Preservative in the action.  If you have a chrome bore don't worry about it much.  Otherwise, Shooters Choice or Butch's Benchrest solvent will work good on the barrel along with a bronze brush.

Cleaning isn't rocket science, don't make it that.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
OK. Here is an oldie but a goodie, we used to use the foam shaving cream, brush the hell out of it and rinse it with hot hot water method (CLP applied last) prior to inspections. But this was done with our 16s.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top