Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 8:16:58 AM EDT
since i am still studying for my private, myinstructor wants a 3 paragraph paper on Va (manuvering speed)and how weight affects it.  i have the basic info, but any more info on this is thankfully accepted.  thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think Va would be influenced by the amount and speed of air over the control surfaces of the aircraft.  If they are insufficient, the control surfaces can't move enough to influence the aircraft....

... or something like that... I think....
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks, but i also have to fit in weight and how it affects it too.  its pretty obvious, but any help in technical terms to spice up the paper is a good thing.  thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#4]
ok thanks guys, i finished. thanks 4 the help!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
A heavily loaded airplane has a higher stall speed than the same airplane with a light load. This is because the heavily loaded airplane must use a higher angle of attack to generate the required lift at any given speed than when lightly loaded.  (Remember, an airplane will stall at any airspeed if the critical angle of attack is exceeded.) The maneuvering speed will vary with the airplane's total weight , since a lightly loaded airplane is easier to accelerate and it will also have a larger margin between the angle of attack necessary for level flight and the critical angle of attack (where the wing stalls.)
View Quote

Maneuvering speed is related to load factors, meaning that when an aircraft is at or below Va, the airplane will stall before reaching its structural load limit. In other words, the stall acts as a safety valve, reducing the load on the wings and airframe before they become too great. Remember that maneuvering speed is not marked on the airspeed indicator and that it varies with aircraft weight. For a heavily loaded aircraft, the force of a gust has a reduced effect because the gust must overcome the airplane's inertia. The same gust will produce a greater acceleration on lighter aircraft because displacing a light object is easier than displacing a heavy one. In other words, it is easier to move a pillow than the couch on which it rests. The bottom line is that maneuvering speed decreases with weight, and because it is often listed only for maximum gross weight, pilots must remember to make corrections to VA when operating at lower weights.
View Quote

Got the first paragraph frommy Jepp Inst/Com manual. The second paragraph was from an AOPA article entitled "Beyond the Limits," [i]Flight Training Magazine,[/i] June,1996. It is a good read about CG limits and Va. Hope this helps. Also take a look at a V-g diagram - a pic is worth a thousand words. I'm just finishing up my Pvt.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
wow thanks. i will include that in the paper too
thanks for the help guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top