Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/23/2011 6:57:02 PM EDT
So, during school I work part time a big chain grocery store.  We were pretty busy tonight, so I had to go up front and help bag customers's groceries.  This younger couple come down my lane with TWO carts full to the brim.  I'm talking about groceries about to spill over the tops of both carts.  I'm standing there thinking, ok this is gonna be fun.  Well the cashier gets done scanning all the items and I look at the total and i see $390.71. Holy shit thats a lot! But then this is what bugs me. The lady pulls out her welfare card and the grand total goes down to $7.51. I out loud said What the hell!

Now, I do understand that people get down on their luck and need some help but $383.20 worth of help is a little much imho. And the sad part is this happens all the time, particularly at my store because we're located in a poor neighborhood.  

I just don't know about the direction this country is headed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been known to loudly ask, "Is there a line for people that have money?"
EDIT:  I will likely die cold and alone.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Im glad i work my ass off to buy my own groceries with my own money. IF i ever had to do that type of shit i would be too ashamed to go during the day. I would have to go at 4am to the local 24 hr walmart so people dont see me.

Fuck That.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't wait until the "help" runs out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
WILL YOU GUYS PLEEEEESE stop posting and get back to work so uncle Sam can rob from you so laquesha can feed er babies.
She cant work, she just got her hair and nails did....oh yeah...you paid for that too!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I will die of starvation before I allow the 'state' to feed me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
"Shut up, white boy!"

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I look forward to the inevitable violence and starvation. People will think I'm wrong for that, but fuck them too.

(I'm gonna see how many threads this is the perfect response to tonight, this is #2)
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You better not die!!!     Laquesha needs her nails done in a few weeks and I think her Escalade is low on gas.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I look forward to the inevitable violence and starvation. People will think I'm wrong for that, but fuck them too.

(I'm gonna see how many threads this is the perfect response to tonight, this is #2)

Ditto

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe that such "assistance" should be limited to six months once per person in their lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im glad i work my ass off to buy my own groceries with my own money. IF i ever had to do that type of shit i would be too ashamed to go during the day. I would have to go at 4am to the local 24 hr walmart so people dont see me.

Fuck That.

this... I've raised my daughter by my self since she was 6 months old. A little while back i was talking to a friend about formula and how much it costs. When i told her i paid for all her formula she asked why i didn't sign up forfood stamps or wic, i told her it was because my pride wouldn't let me. She is MY kid. She is MY responsibility. I'll starve my ass off so she can eat before i'll take government assistance.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I was recently at a Wallgreens buying shaving cream and accidentally hit the "EBT" button on the card scanner instead of "Debit". EBT is the foodstamp credit card here in Ohio.

I told the clerk I made the mistake and she must have not heard me quite right because she told me to hard her the EBT card so she could scan it at the register... I loudly told her that I have a job and wish to pay using D-E-B-I-T that is linked to C-A-S-H in my bank account. I embarrassed the hell out of both her and my girlfriend.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I believe that such "assistance" should be limited to six months once per person in their lifetime.

This is what I believe as well. Well maybe only four months long.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck That.

And the problem is some of these people act like it's some kind of trophy to be on government assistance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Food stamps are what, 3% of the budget? Who cares?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Money that could be going toward better things.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You just dont fucking get it do you?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What's 3% of a couple trillion? Hell that's only like a hundred billion dollars, you could probably pay that yourself, no biggy.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Well, lets see.  The budget is roughly $3,729,000,000,000.00.  3% of that is  $111,870,000,000.00.  One hundred and eleven billion, eight hundred and seventy million dollars.  

I care about that.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
There is so many getting gov. help that there is no shame in anymore.
That is just a tiny piece of the problem. The gov. did away with paper food stamps
so the people using them wouldn't get embarrassed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a family member that works at the Welfare office (DFS).  A family of 4 gets about $1000 dollars a month on their EBT card.  

My wife and I in 20+ years of marriage and raising a couple of kids NEVER spent half that to fully feed our kids 3 squares a day.  

Its shocking, I really don't know why anyone would want to work,  if you figure in just  the EBT, the free healthcare, it has to amount to a couple grand a month by itself.  PLUS many of these folks are on SSI disability to top things off, getting free housing, and milking the local pantries and churchs for all they are worth.  It is sickining really,   Tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse are rampant as well as plenty of funding for the tats and piercings....Its a raquet and will likely cause the few folks  that really need the help to suffer mightly when the money runs out or the working folks will not OR no Longer can pay.  

It will end badly.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have a family member that works at the Welfare office (DFS).  A family of 4 gets about $1000 dollars a month on their EBT card.  

My wife and I in 20+ years of marriage and raising a couple of kids NEVER spent half that to fully feed our kids 3 squares a day.  

Its shocking, I really don't know why anyone would want to work,  if you figure in just  the EBT, the free healthcare, it has to amount to a couple grand a month by itself.  PLUS many of these folks are on SSI disability to top things off, getting free housing, and milking the local pantries and churchs for all they are worth.  It is sickining really,   Tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse are rampant as well as plenty of funding for the tats and piercings....Its a raquet and will likely cause the few folks  that really need the help to suffer mightly when the money runs out or the working folks will not OR no Longer can pay.  

It will end badly.  

That puts them in the free lunches at school too... and they whine because poor people can't get healthy food.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It will end badly.  

Good.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It will end badly.  

Good.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#29]
When I worked at the local communist china mart as a cashier, I saw all kinds of people milking the system for all it's worth as well..  Here are some examples I can list of people abusing the system that I have personally witnessed::

FOUR or FIVE heaping buggyloads of groceries, some of which are expensive items such as premium cuts of various meats

Customers who say "Oh, its okay that my chicken is thawed (and leaking ), I'm going to feed it to my DOG"  (mind you the customer talking is paying with FOOD STAMPS)

Hmm, well I dont have XYZ amount on my card, I need to put such and such items back so I can use only the amount my card has on it - and the items chosen to be put back are perishable items which sometimes have to be thrown away because of being thawed out.

Oh, it looks like I've run out of money on my card... damn it - well, put back all this food that my card wont pay for... I cant afford the food.. But Oh look, here's XYZ amount for a carton of SMOKES.

I cant afford this food that my card wont pay for... But I need this beer instead...

"I owe you HOW MUCH (in cash / check / credit) for the food my card wont pay for!?!?!?!?!"

"wait a minute, I cant buy energy drinks with food stamps!?!?!"

People coming thru my line at Halloween buying $60-80 worth of candy and junk food while bragging about how they're going to hand it out to the trick-or-treaters

People who came thru my line with nothing but junk food (saw this one a LOT)

People really pissed me off when I worked as a cashier. I saw this kind of shit on a daily basis, moreso towards the first part of the month.. I really can understand people needing assistance from the state for a short amount of time, but for gods sakes people dont need assistance for their entire life..

"Assistance" from the state should be just that.. Assistance. It shouldnt be for 5-10-20 years, or even a lifetime.. It should be for a short amount of time (such as 6 months) or while a person is in the process of maybe recovering from an injury that keeps them from working..

I have always worked hard for my money and for everything I own and I dont understand these people who CAN work, but wont work.. I have cousins on both sides of my family who abuse the food stamp and public assistance programs and I have sworn to never be like them despite my current injuries that keep me from working a normal full time job.. So far I am doing better than either of them given the fact that I have started working for myself doing things for money that do not aggravate my existing injuries in my back and my left shoulder / rotator cuff.

Just my $.02 worth.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys have no heart if you expect people to feed themselves

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#31]
seen a couple in late teens/early 20s the other day with two kids approx 2 to 4yo, both "parents" had that emo look with multiple tats, the chick while pretty, had a shitload of piercings in her ears/face.

they had a shopping cart full of food and two 30 packs of nattylite, while the chick was putting the stuff on the conveyor belt the dude takes out his "blue card" (access/snap card aka food stamps) didn't stay in that line long enough to see if they paid for the beer or if it was paid for with the snap card.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah gotta love those piles of shit don't yeah, go to any HUD or section 8 apartment, most of there cars are nicer then most neighborhoods in the burbs
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#33]
WTF.  Lazy fuckers
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, lets see.  The budget is roughly $3,729,000,000,000.00.  3% of that is  $111,870,000,000.00.  One hundred and eleven billion, eight hundred and seventy million dollars.  

I care about that.  

Damn right. +1
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tell me how much of the budget did NASAs shuttle and other space programs account for?

Also, what is the return on investment for food stamps
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'll take help if I've exhausted all of my other options.  By that I mean I'll be living in rags.

Aid from the state isn't a means of continuing to live comfortably.  It's a means of continuing to live when, without it, you'd die.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money that could be going toward better things.

Yeah!  Like muffins.

Muffins are the new doughnut.  Michelle Obama approves.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It will end badly.  

I would add the benes are tax free––unlike our paychecks.

You also have to do the quality of life adjustment.  These people never have to go work.  Never stressed to produce.  Never have the fear of being laid off for circumstances outside of one's control.

If you work and are a net tax payer (non gov employee) then you are the new low class.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I was in line at WAL-MART behind a woman once who was tying up the register with all sorts of problems because apparently some of her items were not covered by her EBT card benefits.

So she is putting the cashier through sheer hell, with "take that off, take that off, try this, try this" etc etc as she added and deleted items from her order to try and make the total come out so that it would all be paid for
by  her welfare card.

There were long lines at every other register as well, so since there was no fast way out, I decided to just enjoy watching the show while I waited behind her.

Finally after the ordeal is over and welfare queen is satisfied that she got her maximum free ride, I said in a loud voice "I'm glad that you are enjoying my tax money to the fullest!"

She hissed something under her breath and departed, post haste.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#40]
My high school sweetheart worked for the department of Social Services in Charleston, SC for 30 years. By the time she retired, she had "clients" who were the grand-daughters of clients she had when she first started working there. She worked with 3 generations, mother, daughter, grand-daughter. All of them on public assistance. All of them with bastard children.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's 3% of a couple trillion? Hell that's only like a hundred billion dollars, you could probably pay that yourself, no biggy.

Yes you are right, to a certain degree it does matter. But it is not the reason we are 14 trillion dollars in the red. There are bigger fish to fry.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:05:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's ALOT of money and you should care as a result.

If I increased your tax burden by 3% for parasites to live you wouldn't care?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:39:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What about your children?

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you are right, to a certain degree it does matter. But it is not the reason we are 14 trillion dollars in the red. There are bigger fish to fry.

Do tell
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:48:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I wouldn't, that's stupid. That's where my tax money has been going so if it ever came down to it then I'd feel it would be my turn for a little payback until I was past whatever happened to get me to the point that I could no longer afford food.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I have no problem with people getting or using food stamps. "IF THEY PAYED IN TO THE SYSTEM"
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:06:38 AM EDT
[#47]
See the OP has seen first hand the problem when the government tries to referee something.

It starts out with noble intents: "A nation that can put a man on the moon should not let a child go to bed hungry at night."

But as soon as the government starts a program to address a problem (any problem), it simultaneously creates greater demand.

Suddenly thousand of hungry children are discovered.

And then the liberal news media and liberal politicians find children who don't quite qualify for the handout but look pitiful on TV.

So the program gets expanded.

Then the  liberal news media and liberal politicians insist that in spite of the program, the "chiren" are still hungry.  And the program gets expanded.

There is no peaceful end via the ballot box because the "takers" vote and their numbers grow every year––-exceeding the number of "producers".  We are VERY close to that point now.

It will get nasty, and lots of people will eventually pay for the politicians' sellout over the years.

Like the Fram oil filter man says, "You can pay me now, or pay me later."

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My high school sweetheart worked for the department of Social Services in Charleston, SC for 30 years. By the time she retired, she had "clients" who were the grand-daughters of clients she had when she first started working there. She worked with 3 generations, mother, daughter, grand-daughter. All of them on public assistance. All of them with bastard children.

This is actually a very interesting story...really says a lot about breaking out of an inherited socio-economic status.
People rarely leave the class they were born into. She has observed the examples that support the theory.

Looking at the economy around me, and the job market in my region, I worry all the time about what happens next if I lose my job. How am I going to take care of my family with no income and no realistic opportunity of getting another job at my current level? Until that day (that hopefully never comes) I work my ass off, sacrifice so that I can save aggressively, and do what I can TODAY to ensure I can put food on the table tomorrow.

I'm not a big fan of free loaders who milk the system, but if the truth be told, what I really detest are the people who establish and maintain such systems.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I remember when I was a little kid(late 1960's) my family fell on hard times. Dad was working as a farm hand,Mom got a minimum wage job in a textile mill. We got "surplus food",no stamps or card you used at the store,to buy whatever you wanted. Dad went down and got his ration of dried beans,dried peas,rice,powdered eggs,ect. It kept us kids fed and we all survived the hard time just fine. When things got better,we stopped taking the handout. My Dad had pride,but he was a realist who took the help he needed,only while he needed it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do tell

The evil rich ....duh
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top