Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 6:52:12 PM EDT
I heard the price of an M-16 is over $4,000.00 what do they have that an AR-15 doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
An M-16 is capable of full auto fire, where as an AR-15 can only be shot semi-auto.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A1's  full auto, A2's 3rd burst and other internal parts.  AR-15 isnt full auto as far as i know
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
M16s have a different trigger, disconnector, bolt carrier, hammer, and selector.  They are designed to be used with the auto sear.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
A word to the wise my friend. I see your kind of new here so I'll save you some grief. If you don't want to be shunned and labled a troll, don't ask how to convert one to the other. There are very few things that bother folks here and that is one of them.

I realize you probably have an honest curiosity about the differences and this isn't a scloding by any means. Just a friendly reminder.

Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that I think about it, what are the differences between the AR-15 and M16 bolt carrier and hammer?

The other differences are obvious to me. For these 2 parts though, I know they are different but I can't understand why...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
In the M16, the bolt carrier has a surface on it that hits the full auto sear and trips it in full auto fire. The hammer in the M16 has a "tit" on the back of it that engages the full auto sear.  That's the essense of it, tho there are some other differences, depending on when an AR15 was made and who made it.

Incidentally, just to be totally accurate, the very first "AR15's" were select fire. Of course that was before adoption by our armed forces and the M16 designation, and before the semi auto only version was created and marketed to civilians by Colt.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A1's  full auto, A2's 3rd burst and other internal parts.  AR-15 isnt full auto as far as i know
View Quote
A3 is full auto with A2 carry handle.  A4 is flattop with 3rd burst.

Bear, did the Klintonistas tell you they were the same and that's why they want to ban them?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]

The M16 has autofire capability and is used by our military forces to defend our Nation.

The AR15 has semiauto capability and is used by gangsta's and white separatists to kill 67 school children every day.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks shamayim!

LARRYG,
I believe the M16A3 is a fully auto flat top with detachable carry handle. You are correct about the A4 config. In terms of a fixed carry handle fully auto, I've heard that they are simply called the M16A2 also.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Mechanically wise: what has been posted here, even though that difference is probably less than $100.00 worth of parts.
Price wise: the date of manufacture. No full auto weapons manufactured since 1986 can be sold to civilians. Consequently, there's a limited supply.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys, direct the newbee to the AR15.com info section:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=31[/url].
Lots of great info there, pictures too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#12]
DaveTx, trust LARRYG on this, in actual military use, the A3 is an A2 with full auto, fixed handle and all. The A4 is 3 rd. burst, flat top full sized rifle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks shamayim!

LARRYG,
I believe the M16A3 is a fully auto flat top with detachable carry handle. You are correct about the A4 config. In terms of a fixed carry handle fully auto, I've heard that they are simply called the M16A2 also.
View Quote
No sir.  The military designation for a flattop is A4.  The A3 is an A2, carry handle and all, with full auto capability.  Some manufacturers call their flattops A3, but this is not in keeping with military nomenclature.  ArmaLite correctly calls their flattops A4.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The Bushmaster on-line catalog has diagrams of the differences between M-16 and AR-15 parts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
slight diffrence in parts a sear hole and 4-5k for a transeferable one
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Different firing pin and marked appropriately, "M16".
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
The big difference (the slight mechanical differences already have been well discussed) is that, unless you have the proper license, you will be a guest of your favorite uncle for a while.

The original AR-15 was adopted first by the Air Force, since our role was somewhat different from the other forces.  Hence a lighter weapon, seemingly easier to disassemble the main components, etc.  And, the original was semi-auto.  In this role, when one carried such a weapon, it was secondary, hence less ammo being carried:  couldn't waste ammo with full auto.  

The original conceptual design, of course incorporated full-auto, which subsequently was adopted, or forced on (depending whom you believe) the other forces.  Lots of politics involved.  Personally, I think the M-14 would still be appropriate for the Marines (thanks for picking me up, guys) and some Army units.  Most of the Army would be ok with the M-16.  The NAvy should still be M-14.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Bear3351, this is pretty simple (don't listen to the other people, they make it too complicated).

It goes like this:

AR15 = cool              

M16 = really cool
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Now put your thinking caps on and lets really confuse him...

There are some AR-15's that are FULL auto as they were marked that way when first adopted by the military...

These are not to be confused with the AR-15s that have been legally converted and come with paperwork (or those that are RDIAS host weapons that only operate as a M-16 when the RDIAS and the other listed parts are installed)...

Ted...
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm well I got my info from the Israeli web site, must be different than the U.S. M16's.

What is the difference in the firing pins?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh boy; firing pin differences.  OK, let's see if I can explain it and have it be understood.

The firing pin in this design has a collar toward the rear end, that hits against the cotter pin that goes thru the bolt carrier, and keeps the firing pin from falling out.  In the M16, that collar is just big enough to do the job of retaining the firing pin. In the AR15's that use the notched hammer, and bolt carrier that's cut away underneath to expose the back of the firing pin, that collar is wider than in the M16, so it would be caught by, and hung up on, the notch on the hammer, if you tried to achieve full auto fire by removing the disconnector. Mechanically, they are interchangable.  You can use the AR15 pin in an M16 without affecting function, and you could use theM16 firing pin in an AR15, tho you might lose the hammer catch function.  I'm not 100% sure if using the smaller collared firing pin would get you in any hot water w/ATTF.  It really shouldn't, but who knows what those guys think.

Hope I haven't confused you too much. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Is there a full size M16 flattop that is full auto? (if that is correct that the M16A4 is a flattop 3 rd burst)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top