Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2002 5:46:47 PM EDT
Are there any weird issues with dual exhaust I should know about?  It looks really well done (I know, that doesn't mean much).  It has a V8, and it sounds great with it...I'm assuming there's some sort of baffle in the muffler to create the sound.  I'm thinking of buying the truck from Carmax.  It has 26k miles on it and the extended warranty will cover it until 90k.  It covers just about everything except for the exhaust system and maintenance items.  Note, the exclusion of the exhaust system has nothing to do with the custom work...they don't cover it on any vehicles.  Thanks.

-Chimborazo
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you need all the pieces.  I mean you could have a problem if the Catalytic converter is missing.  If it's just from the Cat back, then as long as it looks in good shape, it should be OK.  Hey as long as it passes the sate inspection, it's good.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it's from the cat on back.  It passed VA inspection with no problems.  So there are no issues with a change in back pressure or anything?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's a name brand exhaust system, especially being a cat back, it will be fine..

So many of these cat back systems have to meet CARB standards to be even saleable, it's a pretty safe assumption that your truck will be fine..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
My Bro just got a Tundra. He put a Flowmaster on it. Sounds great, and according to him there is a pick up of 25HP. The Flowmaster he put on comes with its own warranty for 100K Mi. Really give that throaty V8 sound. All it does is it opens it up more than the stock exhaust. I say go get it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Chim I think I know what your getting at.

The tundra is a 4 cam, 32 valve engine.

While I can't speak for your V8, all 4 banger and 6 banger engine with 4 valves a chamber, NEED backpressure, or you will lose tremendous low end power.

Now keep in mind, this low end power you lose, you will gain it at top end.

Gas mileage WILL suffer with lose of backpressure for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

With the 4 and 6 cylinder engines I know this to be fact with experience.

Its my opinion that your V8 wouldn't act any different then the 4 or 6.
Unless someone chimes in with a different experience, I think you should listen to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
While I can't speak for your V8, all 4 banger and 6 banger engine with 4 valves a chamber, NEED backpressure, or you will lose tremendous low end power.
View Quote

I think "tremendous" an overstatement. On some vehicles, you may notice a small loss of low-end torque when completely replacing a factory sytem with a much larger-diameter one. However, an aftermarket exhaust sytem that only replaces the existing one from the catalytic converter back hardly qualifies as "much larger-diameter".

Many people are very happy with the performance gains of this kind of upgrade, usually reporting no loss of low-end torque. A low-restriction exhaust system also reduces engine temperatures somewhat, and can improve fuel economy (if you can keep your foot out of the throttle!)

Of more immediate concern is the quality of the aftermarket system. Toyota uses high-quality all-stainless components that could easily outlast the rest of the truck — Some aftermarket systems don't.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
according to him there is a pick up of 25HP.
View Quote

HA!  Nothing personal LT, but no cat back exhaust made can give you 25hp.  

The advantage of a cat back system is mostly sound.  Any power increase is a bonus.  The most restrictive part of a stock exhaust system is the catalytic converters.  Very few engines will suffer from the difference in backpressure with a cat back system.  

Chimborazo , If the system is installed correctly, everything is lined up properly and all the hanger are sturdy that exhaust is just a bonus for your new truck.  Hope all goes well if you buy it.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
according to him there is a pick up of 25HP.
View Quote

HA!  Nothing personal LT, but no cat back exhaust made can give you 25hp.  

View Quote

That's what I thought, but he is my older brother afterall, so what he says goes. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everybody!  I think I'm going to get this truck tomorrow night.  Have to get the money straight first though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmm....where are you SPECTRE?  Interested in hearing your opinion too...

Thanks again everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top