Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 4:56:10 PM EDT
Ok here's my fantasy. I want to drop out of my current job which pays pretty well, go to school to become a professional armorer and go to work for a major company like Bushmaster or Colt building arms. Money doesn't matter to me although I've heard some armorers make a fair amount. I love working on guns (not saying I'm overly knowledgeable), I love the tools, I love the processes & science involved, I love everything about it especially if it pertains to the AR15/M16. I've been around firearms my entire life (father had me in a deer stand alongside him when I was 8; one of the few who wishes Hoppes #9 was a cologne) and a good all around knowledge of the classic models made by Remington, Winchester, Ruger, etc. If I wanted to fulfill my fantasy (and don't tell me to join the service to learn, already did 4 yrs in the USAF as an LE and it's too late for me to go back), how would I go about doing it? Where can a person go to a good reputable (nationally known) school and have a shot at getting a job with a BIG COMPANY as an armorer (not a gunsmith)? Are there any company sponsored schools?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Start by looking for a Colt certified armorer's school. A couple of guys from work went to a class that was like a week long. All they did was work on the AR15 type weapons. They liked it. Then build on it from there (they didn't cover head spacing). I'm thinking before any of the big guys hire you, you'd need to be able to show a fair amount of proficiency with a weapons system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top