Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2011 11:11:01 PM EDT
This night sucks even worse then I could think.

Im on a drilling rig in the middle of nowhere (nearest town is 40 miles on dirt road and population of 300) and
we had an accident.
We were tripping pipe and one of the roughnecks (floorhand his first hitch out here) got hit or pinned or both by the
tongs that are basically huge pipe wrenches.

They just took him off by flight for life. He gave me a thumbs up as they took him on a stretcher down from
the rig floor. He looks ok considering but could just be the morphine or whatever they gave him to help him out.
Had a flex cast on his arm and wraps around his chest and ribs. I couldnt tell if any injuries to his legs or head.

He is married and I dont know if he has any kids, but his Brother in Law is a floorhand with him. Id appreciate
if ya'll could throw some prayers to him and his family.

As for the driller, he is pretty shaken up and blaming himself as anyone would be that was running the break handle.
He rpobably could use some prayers, because that is part of his "Family" out here.

Appreciate it ARFcom

****I will do my best to get updates as best I can but HIPPA may be a PITA to deal with. We dont even know if he is going to Casper, Cheyenne, Rock Springs, Rawlins, Craig CO, Denver or even Vernal UT.******

UPDATE #1 Flight for Life called the Company Man and told him , He did fine on the flight and was waiting Xrays.

UPDATE #2- He is doing good. Suffered only a broken left arm and bruised chest and ribs. He is back out here. Not working of course but back from the hospital none the less.
I appreciate all the prayers and thoughts and good fortune his way. He is a good kid, hard worker and give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. Probably why I am kinda torn up overe him getting hurt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Done
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
He will be in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.

Drilling is a dangerous business. There are more ways to get killed than to get paid. Be safe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayer inbound.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Done

+1

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Sent.

Please be careful out there, it just takes a moment for an accident to happen.
Try to ensure the other workers stay focused if ya'll are going back to work tonight. I'm sure everyone is pretty shook up right about now.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Im pretty safe out here and so far I think this tower is done and we will go back to trippin in the morning.

Thankfully I am a directional driller and even though Im on the rig floor, I have little hands on except marking the pipe with a grease pencil.

For me its the drive to and from the rig that is the most dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys make a lot of money... and it's earned 100%.

I'd never want to do what you guys do... not for any amount of money. I'm way too clumbsy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Small update in OP
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
prayers said.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Prayers out.

In for the root cause analysis.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Update in OP

As far as the accident, we were in open hole only about 7 stands (650 ft roughly) out from 8200'. They were trying to spin out of the stand with the top drive and had the stand
on the rig floor mat and set the tongs in a fucked up position and also the tong dies were worn out.
When the Driller put torque on the pipe the tongues spun CCW and then CW and then slammed the Floorhand right into the drillers console
and shoved the console onto the break handle. Pretty fucked up and the Driller took full responsibility and is still pretty torn up over hurting the Kid.

Just glad he wasnt killed.
The pictures I saw while finally picking up our motor and bottom hole assemble, were bad and could have easily crushed him to death or crushed his head and killed him, so very greatful for that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Prayer sent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Prayer sent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm really glad the kid isn't seriously hurt.

Sounds like it could have been really bad, he was very fortunate!
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Roughnecks are a hard bunch, they bounce back well.  I am glad to hear he is doing well and I hope the company can find something for him to do while his arm heals.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I got my hand smashed between the handle of the tongs and the derrick.  It didn't break anything, but it hurt like hell and I had to keep working...  The driller had no sympathy either.  Could have been worse..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top