Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/18/2011 3:01:23 PM EDT
I broke/crushed my knee a month ago.  Went into the ER and the surgeon gave me a weak Hydracodone (sp) pain killer.  I went to a different surgeon and he prescribed Percocet.  Went back to the original surgeon (other guy couldn't schedule me in) and he did the surgery (plate and screws) plus gave me Percocet 60 pills.  It has been 1.5 weeks since the surgery and I have taken all of the pills and still have a good deal of pain.

Is there anything else I should ask for or should I up the dose?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything the pillbillies rob and steal for....oxycodone, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Dilaudid, fentanyl etc...
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
morphine tabs work ok.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Di-acetylmorphine
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Demerol (I think that's how it's spelled) is pretty strong. It'll take care of the pain unless you have a central nervous system injury. Unfortunately, mine was
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

morphine tabs work ok.

Forgot to mention I can't take morphine as I have violent hallucinations with it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Oxys and Roxys if the latest booking sheets are any indication.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Truth. Fucking. A.

I recently had an experience that icluded a fentanyl epidural/pain pump and IV dilaudid every 3 hours. You don't feel much, but you can't really do much either. All I could do was sit my ass down in the Captains chair of the Velvet Enterprise and set course to Deep Space Fine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
morphine tabs work ok.

Or "Percadan". It requires a triple carbon pad, and one goes to the
Fed. Gov., so they don't like to prescribe them. Your dentist can though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather up the dose than go into stronger stuff than oxy. Per your request though, oxymorphone (Opana) I think it's about 2x what a similar dose of Oxy provides.

ETA "Oxy" meaning Percs (IR), Roxi's(IR), and the new Oxycodone OP's (OP, which is extended release as opposed to the old instant release formula (IR))
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Percocet and Vicodin (hydrocodone) do almost nothing for me - different people vary a lot in terms of what painkillers work for them.

Sometimes it's not necessarily higher doses of a drug that will help, but a different drug.

Have you tried higher doses of "regular" painkillers.  Large doses of Aleve (Naproxen), combined with alcohol, actually give me better pain relief than narcotics like Percocet and Vicodin.

So if I were you, I'd ask my doc for some different ones to try - he can write you a small prescription for several different drugs (like 12 pills), and you can try to find the one that works best for you.

Flexerol and wild turkey helped my back out more than anything!

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Percocet is a combination of oxycodone hydrochloride and acetaminophen.

Oxycodone is an extremely addictive opioid. It converts in the body to morphone which is chemically similar to morphine.

Most young heroin users in the USA got their start by abusing Oxycodone class drugs.

It is cheaper and easier to get heroin then prescription drugs.

Taking these types of prescription drugs are habit forming and many of today's physicians are nothing more than glorified drug dealers.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Take more?

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I broke/crushed my knee a month ago.  Went into the ER and the surgeon gave me a weak Hydracodone (sp) pain killer.  I went to a different surgeon and he prescribed Percocet.  Went back to the original surgeon (other guy couldn't schedule me in) and he did the surgery (plate and screws) plus gave me Percocet 60 pills.  It has been 1.5 weeks since the surgery and I have taken all of the pills and still have a good deal of pain.

Oxycontin
Dilaudid
Fentanyl
MSIR
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Vicoden always gave me a stomach ache and a heavy dosage of disappointment.

Percosets on the other hand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you're still in pain, go back and see the surgeon.  There could be an infection or some problem causing pain other than the normal healing process.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oxycontin

Dilaudid

Fentanyl

MSIR

I had this in an IV, when I was being treated for a burn. Sweet Jesus, that got me high. Really high. I liked it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oxycontin
Dilaudid
Fentanyl
MSIR

I had this in an IV, when I was being treated for a burn. Sweet Jesus, that got me high. Really high. I liked it.

It's a bad sign when you look forward to the rush of the pain from the injection...isn't it?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Perhaps Butalbitall.  I was given that for viral meningitis several years ago although I had already toughed out 80% of the illness on my own.  Its a barbiturate combined with acetaminophen (Tylenol) and caffeine.  It blocks the central nervous system's ability to transmit pain signals.  I had it also post-op for sinus surgery.  It freaking rocks.  One pill and for the rest of the day, it was as if nothing bad ever happened.  My productivity at work was pretty fantastic too, probably because of the caffeine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

morphine tabs work ok.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records,  the Best Pain reliever was morphine.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Motrin.

If that doesn't work, I'd try some of the neuropathic pain meds (non-opioid).

Be careful how much Percocet you take, as it contains acetaminophen (Tylenol) and can nuke your liver from orbit if you take too much.

ETA: For localized pain, a lidocaine patch might work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#26]
opiates just make you happy and able to deal with the pain. then there's shit like percocet with the opiate and a bunch of tylenol/acetaminophen...

the best thing for pain head-on (no pun intended) is advil/ibuprofen. the liquid caps work much faster than the solids. take four. then go to your doctor and request an Rx with only the opiate i.e. no tylenol . try them together. watch some south park...

apparently when people use things like vicodin as street drugs, the worst part is the tylenol, because it's pretty hard on your guts to begin with. so when you get these assholes taking (or chopping and snorting) a couple dozen vicodin at a time... off-the-chart megadose of tylenol.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
morphine tabs work ok.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records,  the Best Pain reliever was morphine.  

Not sure what "best" pain reliever means.  In terms of strength, there are much stronger narcotics than morphine.

Living on narcotics for >1 month is no way to live.  JMHO
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fentanyl suckers are awesome!
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
morphine tabs work ok.

I was on morphine when I met Travis Pastrana, it was cool.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oxycontin
Dilaudid
Fentanyl
MSIR

It's a bad sign when you look forward to the rush of the pain from the injection...isn't it?  

Yea, but there's no pain from an injection into an IV.

I didn't get much relief from dilaudid, but I had the pills. They didn't do jack.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
morphine tabs work ok.

Morphine's kinda funny. It made me sleep for 4 hours, but it never took away any pain.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Buncha damn crybabies in this thread.

Go rub some dirt on it.  Run some laps, you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oxycontin
Dilaudid
Fentanyl
MSIR

Yea, but there's no pain from an injection into an IV.

I didn't get much relief from dilaudid, but I had the pills. They didn't do jack.

From the pump then. It gave me a body ache/rush because it dilates (constricts?) the blood vessels. Then it was allllllll good.

The pills don't hit as hard but I found they kept the pain away very good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oxycodone is an extremely addictive opioid. It converts in the body to morphone which is chemically similar to morphine.

Most young heroin users in the USA got their start by abusing Oxycodone class drugs.

Taking these types of prescription drugs are habit forming and many of today's physicians are nothing more than glorified drug dealers.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ciwPussJ6HA/Tk_iZ0yDluI/AAAAAAAAAcc/H0BLngGx1lE/s1600/poison.jpg

Please enlighten us, newbie.

LOL, I wasn't going to go there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ciwPussJ6HA/Tk_iZ0yDluI/AAAAAAAAAcc/H0BLngGx1lE/s1600/poison.jpg

Shut up you glorified drug dealer!

Notice how no one suggests seeing the surgeon, just throwing more pain meds at the problem.  Now that may be the solution but you need to make sure nothing else is going on first.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut up you glorified drug dealer!

Notice how no one suggests seeing the surgeon, just throwing more pain meds at the problem.  Now that may be the solution but you need to make sure nothing else is going on first.

This.  Maybe removing said painful hardware is the order of the day for the OP.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

morphine tabs work ok.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Best Pain reliever was morphine.

I just had a shit load of morphine pumped into me at the ER on friday. I just woke up about noon today.

Btw, what does "he got 20 of morphine" mean (Is that CC's?)? Because that is what the nure told the ER doc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#39]
You need to go back to the doc and get more meds.

Oxycontin 20 mg BID is a great one. Or there is a newer drug on the market, Nucynta, equally effective against pain without being stoned out of your gourd.

And as for all the aleve and motrin suggestions, ignore them. You are a week and a half out of an ORIF, the risk of bleeding is still too great to take anything than can thin your blood.

I, personally, would recommend the Nucynta, better pain management and no GI issues or liver shredding.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I feel your pain OP, well in my throat.  I had my tonsils removed Friday and this Dilaudid doesn't work that great.  I do have  pretty high tolerance to stuff like that though.  Not from using, it took 3 times the dose of anesthesia just to get me to go to sleep, so they gave me the Dilaudid just in case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
opiates just make you happy and able to deal with the pain. then there's shit like percocet with the opiate and a bunch of tylenol/acetaminophen...

the best thing for pain head-on (no pun intended) is advil/ibuprofen. the liquid caps work much faster than the solids. take four. then go to your doctor and request an Rx with only the opiate i.e. no tylenol . try them together. watch some south park...

apparently when people use things like vicodin as street drugs, the worst part is the tylenol, because it's pretty hard on your guts to begin with. so when you get these assholes taking (or chopping and snorting) a couple dozen vicodin at a time... off-the-chart megadose of tylenol.

It is your liver that gets damaged if you take too much tylenol.  Pretty sure that's why the addicts want the kind without it, so they can take a lot and not nuke their liver.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For someone in the medical community, you are not being intellectually honest about the problem of doctor shopping, pill mills, and over prescription of opioid, are you?

Examples:

The new report Monday from the Florida Medical Examiners Commission showed that almost 2,300 people died from overdoses caused by prescription drugs last year, up by 7.9 percent from 2009.

Deaths caused by oxycodone alone or in combination with other drugs shot up 28 percent, as abuse of the heroin-like drug spread from South Florida into other parts of the state

Where did these people get the prescriptions that killed them? Their physicians.

For the first time in Florida’s war on prescription drug abuse, investigators are pursuing pill mills as organized crime enterprises — and corrupt doctors as murderers.

After a three-year investigation, federal authorities announced the details of Operation Oxy Alley, a sweeping indictment charging 32 people under racketeering statutes for their involvement in South Florida-based pill mills that doled out 20 million oxycodone pills and profited more than $40 million dollars from illegal sales of controlled substances. In a companion indictment, local authorities charged a doctor with first-degree murder in the death of a West Palm Beach man who died within hours of filling a prescription for a painkiller.

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention reported in 2004 that 14 million patients misuse their medications and more than 20,000 cases a year result in an unintentional death.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services reported that 30% of the nursing home population is receiving an antipsychotic, yet 21% of those cases do not suffer from psychosis. And the trend extends to all age groups, not just the elderly. In 2007 doctors filled more than 45 million prescriptions for an antipsychotic, according to IMS Health. Yet there are only 2.4 million schizophrenic patients (for whom the drugs were originally intended), according to the National Institute of Mental Health.

If you were not aware of the scope of the problem, take a look at your state's medical discipline records.

A physician who lives in Newport Coast was arrested Wednesday on charges that he sold prescriptions for addictive painkillers, federal prosecutors said.

Nazar Al Bussam, 71, who practices at clinics in Downey and Los Angeles, is charged along with two of his employees. Rosemary Mendoza, 75, and James Park, 72, were taken into custody Wednesday at the Los Angeles clinic, while Al Bussam was arrested at the Downey clinic by agents with the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles said in a news release.

As part of the investigation, DEA undercover agents went to Al Bussam's clinic, saw the doctor and purchased prescriptions for various controlled substances, paying $100 in cash for each prescription, prosecutors said.

During a two-year period, Al Bussam wrote nearly 60,000 prescriptions that were used to obtain narcotics, prosecutors said. Several pharmacies contacted the DEA regarding Al Bussam's prescribing activity, which made him one of the top 10 prescribers of controlled substances in the Los Angeles area, prosecutors said.

The DEA estimates that Al Bussam took in gross earnings of more than $100,000 a month, the majority of it illegally, prosecutors said.

Drugs involved in the case are sold under the brand names OxyContin, Percocet, Percodan, Dilaudid, Vicodin, Norco, Lortab, Xanax, Suboxone, Subutex and Soma, prosecutors said.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're still in pain, go back and see the surgeon.  There could be an infection or some problem causing pain other than the normal healing process.

This.

A week out of my similar surgery and I was in the hands of the PT Nazi's without any terrible pain. Mere discomfort when they weren't torturing me.  Something amiss with the repair itself or healing process perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell, just tell me what state your ER is in an I will give you stats on physicians even diverting drugs to themselves.

Between 1991–2001, 80% of U.S. anesthesiology residency programs reported experience with impaired residents, and 19% reported at least one pretreatment fatality. 2

As recently as 2005, the drug of choice for anesthesiologists entering treatment was an opioid, with fentanyl and sufentanil toping the list. 3

‘Pill Mill’ Doctor Expected To Surrender Soon

Pill mill' doctor convicted of causing 4 deaths

'Pill mill' probe snares Clear Lake Shores doctor

West Hollywood doctor accused of running 'pill mill'

Prescription Drug Deaths Increase Dramatically

A growing number of overdoses of legal opioids, sedatives and tranquilizers led to a 65 percent increase in hospitalizations over seven years

In fact, by 2006, overdoses of opioid analgesics alone (a class of pain relievers that includes morphine and methadone) were already causing more deaths than overdoses of cocaine and heroin combined.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
morphine tabs work ok.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Best Pain reliever was morphine.

I just had a shit load of morphine pumped into me at the ER on friday. I just woke up about noon today.

Btw, what does "he got 20 of morphine" mean (Is that CC's?)? Because that is what the nure told the ER doc.

Milligrams (mg).  That's a good dose especially if you're a morphine virgin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oxford scholar are you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Hell, just tell me what state your ER is in an I will give you stats on physicians even diverting drugs to themselves.

Between 1991–2001, 80% of U.S. anesthesiology residency programs reported experience with impaired residents, and 19% reported at least one pretreatment fatality. 2

As recently as 2005, the drug of choice for anesthesiologists entering treatment was an opioid, with fentanyl and sufentanil toping the list. 3

So because some abuse, it should be banned from all?

You're just like all the anti-gun idiots, please just leave now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can't compare FL with anywhere else in the country when it comes to pain meds.

The good Dr. will return to slay you shortly.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

'Pill mill' probe snares Clear Lake Shores doctor

West Hollywood doctor accused of running 'pill mill'

First of all, us doctors are well aware of the myriad of problems surrounding opiate use.  We deal with this stuff every day.  And, yes, we laugh at doctors who basically throw away their career because they played stupid games with opiate prescriptions.

Do you have some kind of insight into the problem?  How would you both allow the reasonable prescribing of opiates for pain relief while preventing 100% any drug diversion?

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Dilaudid FTW!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top