Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2011 7:51:34 AM EDT
Craigslist whim found a 1971 240Z that hadn't been running since 2005. Owner said it'd start on starting fluid and immediately die,but at least got to hear it putter. Weber carbs and mint original Enkei 92's meant it would be impossible to get hurt if worst came to worst and it had to be parted as long as the price could be right...Oh,$1500 will take it right now? Sounds even better than it did stammering to almost life.

A quick and dirty carb cleaning yielded it coughing to life but the family of mice that scurried out of the dash had me declaring jihad on all rodents. I unassed the smoking and wheezing car,shut the garage door and declared "suffocate you miserable bastards". I can gladly do snakes and spiders but HATE mice and rats.

After the smoke cleared and a little bit more fettling:

Oh would you look at that now? SHE LIVES!

Total parts and materials outlay needed to get her going? $0. So far,so good.A good tune up and some more lovin' and she'll be a hoot next summer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
fun times!  I love projects like that.  

You going to keep it or sell it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I still see 240's on the road on occasion, at least a couple times a month. I've driven a mid-80's 280Z before and barely fit in that tiny seat. Not a fat friendly car by any means, but they sure do look cool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
As clean as it looks in the video?

If so, you stole that car, especially in the land of rust.

Would love to have one of those. A neighbor has one with a decidedly not stock S/C 3800 GM V6 in it. Thing hauls ass and sounds good doing it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The Z is one of the few vehicles I REALLY miss. I had a 75 280 Z I bought in the service, totally rust free. Took two weeks leave, drove it home, stripped it and painted it dark metalllic red. Biggest cop magnet I ever owned. While a bit heavier then the 240 and 260, that Bosch FI engine LOVED to run, no cat because it would pass US emissions without it from factory. On the twisties, it was probably the funniest car I've ever owned to run.

We could drive to Shreveport LA from Ft Polk with 4 guys stuffed in it, 2 in front, 2 hunched over on the floor in the back. Most uncomfortable but I was not the ones in the back.

Dang I miss that car.

OP, nice find!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 280z that just disappeared one day.

I really like the original Z cars and would love to have one of the Nissan factory restored 240's if I could ever find one...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I REALLY wanted one of those in the worst way when I was in high-school (circa 1987 or so).

I ended up with an '83 RX-7 and it was a great little car but the early Z models really look nice.

My uncle down in L.A. has an original one owner '77 280Z that his daughter bought new. She stopped driving it well over 20 years ago and he's kept it in the garage ever since. Last year we were down there and he had just finished rebuilding the motor and he started it up for me. The inside and outside are in great condition and he says he's keeping it in case she wants it back. They're all getting older and I may make an offer on it one of these days.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My 280Z was a fun car to tool around in.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a lot of people hate the retro thing, but this is one Nissan should have rolled out. I know they did that restoration program but a full blown production model would have been sweet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree. I had really high hopes that the factory reconditioned Z program was to set the stage for a real Z comeback.

The 350/370 is a nice car and all but it doesn't have the style and swagger of a 240,nothin' at all close to it in my book.

Thanks for looking at the vids guys. As to what's going to happen with it? Birthday present for a good buddy that's always wanted one. The little stuff that needs a tidy: stereo,some trim etc will be his problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
My '83 280ZX is jealous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top