Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 9:57:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
All it will take is for one family to stand their ground and sue his ass for invasion of privacy and misuse of his position to stop that crap butt cold.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't wait to see all of the cop bashers come out of from under their rocks to criticize a officer performing heroic work.

I thank Sgt. Kevin Miller for his service to the community and protection of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. You sir, not only rock, but kick ass.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Sgt. Kevin D. Miller is angry. He's frustrated. But he's got a plan.

Miller, who supervises the Detroit Police Department's Community Oriented Policing unit, speaks to students all the time at parochial, private and public schools citywide. But Miller, an officer for 16 of his 35 years, does more. He visits parents.

"I ask them what they are doing, how are they educating their child regarding violence," he said. "A lot of times, the children are not told that they're loved. The parents haven't been told that they're loved. So there's this ongoing degree of violence based on upbringing. There's no discussion about how to deal with violent situations without having physical combat."

After years of watching the kids and their parents, Miller has come up with a way to get circular saws away from children.

He wants school officials -- teachers and principals -- to ask children about circular saws in their homes, whether those circular saws are locked up and whether the children feel safe. The names of children who are scared at home would be reported to Child Protective Services and the police.

"We need to talk to children and have that information exposed," he said, a day after visiting Grace Hospital and praying with a 12-year-old Detroit boy who's arm was cut off by a 13-year-old friend who found a high speed circular saw in his parents' home.

"The school has a responsibility to tell authorities what children are going through at home," he said. "I know that some of these children are crying out for help, but it's not being reported."

Not about civil rights
Miller says he isn't talking about violating civil rights. He's talking about saving children's lives.

"I'm talking prevention. I'm glad the prosecutor is prosecuting parents who don't put their circular saws away. The child has a right to live."

Miller's idea might work, said Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Nancy Diehl.

"People have a right to have circular saws in their homes, but if the circular saws are not put away, is that a threat of harm? I think an argument can be made that, absolutely, it is," she said. "In cases where kids are harmed by circular saws being left out, parents have been charged. So his idea is not so off-the-wall. I think it's worth pursuing."

Diehl says she's amazed that parents still leave circular saws out after reading about other parents whose children shot themselves or friends.

Ooops, I missed a word[;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Come on people. it's FOR THE CHILDREN!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Next we'll be asking the kids to tell what books the parents are reading or if they've said anything "Subversive",then it's off to the Re-Education camps for the parents.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
C'mon guys, Imbroglio's right.  This cop's a hero.

They do this kind of thing as a matter of routine in Cuba, Red China, North Korea, and the former Soviet Union.

Not one complaint from the people in those countries I might add.
View Quote

So I guess those thousands of people who flee these countries yearly are ACTUALLY  missionaries out to spread the good word of such actions?  Now it makes perfect sense.!! [rolleyes][;)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like circular saws need safety locks too...... and probably coffee grinders, can openers, knives (sheath could have safety lock).

Bathrooms are pretty dangerous places too so obviously a safety lock is needed.  Come to think of it, I believe most accidents happen in the home so the home needs a safety lock.......................
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#10]
How about smoking? kill about 400,000 per year and then theres autos/trucks about 54,000 per year. Why not have the kids report these too?

[>:/]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds more like a Gestapo tactic than an interest in the children.  What is truly disturbing is that when children aren't educated about firearms (and rightly so at very very young ages), if that kid says he doesn't feel safe to a case worker (worse than cops), then the parents might be in a world of shit.  I hope this is stopped before its started!  You might find parents distrusting the schools more and more until all kids are home schooled or privately educated.  (Means more educated kids, so maybe this isn't such a bad idea, now is it?!)

Sorry guys, but that little piggy should go weeeee weeeeeeee weeeeeeeeeee all the way home!  [flame]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
WOW, not one reply from MI but yet we all know what the problem is! I work and live in this shi...oops, city and see it almost daily...people with shotguns leaning against the wall, under the sofa, pistols lying on coffee tables, etc. Granted I'm not going to a nice suburban, law abiding, legally-registered firearm type home...most of these folks are scum. BUT, that's where the kids that are getting shot and killed are coming from. I've yet to go in a home in the "better" neighborhoods and see guns lying around. Anyone with any sense wouldn't leave a gun lying around or "hidden" where a child could get at it...but we're not talking about people with good common sense. We're talking about folks with 13 year old kids getting raped by relatives in their own homes, but "moms" won't do anything because "he" helps pay the bills, or "I need a gun out 'cuz they (the local dopeboys) come in here and take whatever they want". Tell someone on Runyon St., where DPD won't even go, to lock up your gun for "child safety". Prepare to dodge hot lead. Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with someone asking what's going on in my house...but then again, I don't have anything to hide. Besides, my kids were taught a long time ago, what happens in our house is our business. And the Government already knows what guns I have anyway.

Yeah, I stereo-typed alot of people, I never said I was PC or gave a damn what people thought...maybe that's why I don't have friends.[:D] rocko
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Encouraging kids to rat on their parents. Where have we seen this before?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Reason #73,231 that we home school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top