Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2011 5:09:07 AM EDT
Ok..  I had a package being shipped by USPS Priority Mail on monday, and tracking shows it hasnt moved since... it was to be delivered to another state, but nothing... (delivery was planned on thursday). Have to give a call to the recipient tonight to know if its there, or not.

Is that common with USPS ? Is there something to do ?

the package is insured, but it would suck if not delivered today, or saturday at the latest...

is it only their tracking that sucks, or do you think there is a problem with the package ?

here is what the USPS tracking says :

Acceptance
September 12, 2011, 11:37 am

and that's it.

nothing since that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't really count on tracking from USPS. Its pretty much hit or miss
if at all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok.. so I shouldnt really trust the tracking and just call tonight to see if its there.

I hope so.

(btw. when I have things shipped to me with USPS priority mail INTERNATIONAL, the tracklng works fine, and is very detailed)
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
They usually scan mine once or twice and give up. USPS is pretty much useless.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#4]
USPS doesn't have real time tracking like UPS and FedEx. They advertise it as tracking, but it isn't. The only thing you can count on is notification to indicate a parcel was picked up and delivered. All the movement in between is a crap shoot.

If you need real time tracking, don't use USPS.

(I wrote shipping and mailing software for 10 years, but have been out of that business for 5 years. As far as I know, the information I provided is still correct.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had some that were never scanned other than the acceptance scan...they just showed up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
the usps trk # shows it having been logged in then only upon delivery. they are not like fedhex or ups who show you a paper trail from acceptance to delivery.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had some that were never scanned other than the acceptance scan...they just showed up.

rgr.

thx. it makes me feel a little better. Talking about a 500+ $ value.

the usps trk # shows it having been logged in then only upon delivery. they are not like fedhex or ups who show you a paper trail from acceptance to delivery.

rgr, but in this case, delivery is already 24h late...
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you referring to delivery confirmation?  If so it's not tracking.  It just confirms delivery of a package.  Says when the package was accept, and delivered.  Just like it's name.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you referring to delivery confirmation?  If so it's not tracking.  It just confirms delivery of a package.  Says when the package was accept, and delivered.  Just like it's name.

rgr. but the delivery should have happened 24h ago.. and nothing yet.

the service is named "track&confirm"... you would think it has something to do with tracking ;)
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
First off the tracking number from USPS is worth jack and shit. I've had stuff that I've made out online shipping labels for and then held off on shipping for a couple days, show up as delivered and more than a few show they were still in transit after they had been delivered for a few days.

And, the USPS seems to be really slow, slower than usual, recently.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

USPS doesn't have real time tracking like UPS and FedEx. They advertise it as tracking, but it isn't. The only thing you can count on is notification to indicate a parcel was picked up and delivered. All the movement in between is a crap shoot.

If you need real time tracking, don't use USPS.

(I wrote shipping and mailing software for 10 years, but have been out of that business for 5 years. As far as I know, the information I provided is still correct.)

This.

In my experience, the only times the system gets updated is when the package is dropped off and when it is delivered.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
My mailman recently stuffed a package (which was supposed to require a signature) for my wife into the mailbox.  Luckily it wasn't damaged.

USPS tracking is a joke.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want better tracking you need to send it certified IIRC.

It just takes a lot longer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#14]
rgr.

well, I didnt really care about tracking...   I wanted UPS, but the guy who shipped it said UPS was closed that monday..

I only needed it delivered before saturday. I hope it will..

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
As everyone has already mentioned, USPS tracking is almost useless.

It usually shows the day it was shipped, and then the day it was delivered.
The only time it was helpful to me was when a package of mine was sitting at the post office for 2-3 days instead of being delivered.
I had to call and tell them to deliver it

ETA: I knew it was there because it listed it as delivered to facility or something along those line
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1230626_How_do_I_yell_at_USPS_.html

My package showed up a day AFTER it was marked as delivered. If it was marked for Thursday then It'll probably show up today.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]
The only time it was helpful to me was when a package of mine was sitting at the post office for 2-3 days instead of being delivered.
I had to call and tell them to deliver it

crap..  
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1230626_How_do_I_yell_at_USPS_.html

My package showed up a day AFTER it was marked as delivered. If it was marked for Thursday then It'll probably show up today.

hope I will have your "luck" ;)
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Fedex and UPS really blow away USPS don't they?
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've always preferred USPS, there's more locations, the price was always cheaper and things got there 99.999% of the time on time via First Class Mail. They've just been fucking up, I was stressed about my package because it had a lot of expensive electronics in it. I thought those bastards delivered to the wrong house or something. Might have to switch up to UPS or FedEX in the future to get real time tracking a real delivery confirmation.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, my previous experience with Fed Ex wasnt good either..

1st, the didnt delivered a gun the day it was expected, and then they left it ooutside the recipient door (FFL), without a signature
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not really. I've only had USPS lose one package of mine. Yet UPS and FedEx seem to take great pleasure in losing my shit and fucking me. Almost as if they give a bonus to the driver that loses the most of my stuff.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#23]
tracking just updated :

Arrival at Unit September 16, 2011, 6:57 am /location specified (close to actual delivery site) / Expected Delivery By: September 16, 2011

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I"ve never really had a problem with USPS tracking.  Sure it takes a couple of days to get going but it's always showed every scan in between for me.  I've also never had a package sent priority take more than 3 days to go all the way across the country.

My only complaint with USPS is that I have to stand in line behind 17 other people to pick up packages when the locker at my apartments is full and they don't leave it at my door.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#25]
If you print out a tracking slip and then don't ship it, then it doesnt' moved.

I think this is what you are describing.  You order something from Target.com.  They fill the order, print out USPS info, attach to box, but the box sits in their storeroom until a week later when the guy picks it up.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. I've only had USPS lose one package of mine. Yet UPS and FedEx seem to take great pleasure in losing my shit and fucking me. Almost as if they give a bonus to the driver that loses the most of my stuff.

Same experiance, although UPS has improved quite a bit lately.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#27]
You can actually call the Post Office and they will go put hands on the package, describe it to you and let you know what is going on. I never would have believed this myself until I had to do it. I sold a iPad over ebay and sent it USPS. I too had weird issues with tracking so I called. The destination P.O. was in NYC and being from the south I really didn't expect to get any help from a busy P.O. in NYC, but they really were helpful. I had to call them several times before the package was delivered to get them to reattempt delivery. They remembered me, they remembered the package, and they were able to let me know just what was going on with it. Long story short, the tracking sucks, but the people I dealt with over the phone in the origination P.O. and the destination P.O. were very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Its a crap shoot as many have mentioned.  Sometimes it is right on the ball.  Other times it ain't worth a shit.

I have the same issue right now as the OP.  Hopefully it will be delievered soon.

It is an unreliable system.  Fucked up like USPS itself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is an unreliable system.  Fucked up like USPS itself.

+1

Go with UPS or FedEX.  
There's a reason USPS is once again bankrupt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I recently had a package sit at USPS for a month. It ended up being delivered by UPS a few weeks later. I have no idea how or why that happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top