Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2002 6:34:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What difference does it make now?  We were bound and determined to get involved big time in the 'Nam.  Nothing was going to stop us.  It is like debating if FDR knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor before or not.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was fake, then ALL the crewmembers of the destroyer that was attacked were in on it.  Hell, these days, everything is a conspiracy!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I read the article, so I could know what I am talking about.
View Quote
Don't take this the wrong way, I am not flaming, but that makes no sense.  You know what the article says, but that doesn't mean you know what happened.  A writer of an article can say anything he wants without any real proof or knowledge.  Everyone here knows that based on the BS articles we read all the time from anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LarryG, you misinterpret my statement.  When I said "I read the article so I could know what I am talking about" I meant that I read it so I can relay what it said, instead of just telling you that the article exists.
I know a LITTLE about the Gulf on Tonkin attacks, but not enough.
I wasn't saying I knew what happened there from just one article.
View Quote
Oops, my bad.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My aliens will give you an anal probe next time though [:D]
View Quote
Don't tease me like that!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If it was just one torpedo, or if they fired on us any other way, that's good enough for me.

I've read accounts that vary, too.  Just because somebody with a book or article for sale has an axe to grind, doesn't mean they have checked their 'facts' thoroughly.  The only people that know for sure are the people that were there, and even they may have seen varying pieces of the picture, or --guess what -- their viewpoints may have been influenced by their politics over the war.

Remember, it was the cold war, and at the time there was the "domino theory" where it was believed that if we let one country fall under communism, the whole region would become Russian satellites.

If you can find a library with a collection of Vietnam magazine, you should find somme more information.  Especially the book reviews, which have in some instances been sympathetic to some pretty hostile and poorly written books, even though in general the tone of the magazine is supportive of the men who fought there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Very old news.

IIRC, anti-war groups started claiming it was a fabricated event in the late 1960’s (maybe earlier).

The most likely explanation seems to be that the destroyers were genuinely under the impression they were being attacked based on radar and/or sonar reports and did take evasive action.  However, I don’t think any actual contact was made.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top