Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 2:23:05 PM EDT
Good, we wouldn't want 5 million going to a terrorist supporting country anyway.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
[:(] I had War Emblem on top of a trifecta key, but most of my bets didn't have War Emblem it!

I didn't use Sarava at all. Can't wait to see the exacta price, probably around $2000.

Oh well, I had War Emblem in the Derby and made my money there. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Gosh.  I guess you guys don't care that the owner happens to be a pro-American Saudi, then.  Nor that the newspapers his family runs are published out of Saudi Arabia so that they can avoid most of the official censorship there, and that they do things like call Palestinian bombers "suicide terrorists" rather than "martyrs".

Do you even care that his remarks after September 11th were condemnations of the attacks? or that he felt that the attack was a knife in the gut of Saudi Arabia because of what it would do to relations?

I guess not.  Too convenient to label him a raghead from a "terrorist supporting country".
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/134470476_prince08.html[/url]

[red]Excerpted relevant paragraphs:[/red]

Prince Ahmed bin Salman, a member of the royal family that rules Saudi Arabia, is chairman of one of his nation's largest media empires, [b]whose newspapers have angered some Saudis by denouncing Islamic militancy and Osama bin Laden.[/b]

Salman's father, governor of the capital of Riyadh, is fourth or fifth in line to the throne, said Youssef Ibrahim, a senior fellow with the Council on Foreign Relations and former Mideast correspondent for The New York Times.

"His father is an extremely important personality and also one of the most enlightened," Ibrahim said.

The media company Salman operates publishes a number of important newspapers, including Asharq Al-Awsat, which raised eyebrows in Riyadh when [b]it began running columns by The New York Times' Thomas Friedman. In a break with Arab media orthodoxy, it uses the term "suicide attackers" rather than "martyrs" when referring to Israel bombings in news reports.[/b]

Although hardly independent of the Saudi government, the paper is published in London and circulated widely in Saudi Arabia, an arrangement that frees it of the most severe censorship.

Steven Stalinsky, executive director of the Middle East Media Research Center, said Salman's papers are among the most liberal in the Arab media but are not free of offensive content. The Salman-published, English-language Arab News, for example, recently carried a dispatch by former Klansman and American white-power advocate David Duke that claimed Israel "aided and abetted" the Sept. 11 attacks.

Salman was buying horses at an auction in Lexington, Ky., on Sept. 11, when planes hijacked by 19 men — 15 of them Saudi citizens — slammed into the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania.

[b]Salman was quoted in the next day's Lexington Herald-Leader saying, "It's just a catastrophe. It's like it happened to Arabia. This is my second home. What happens to America happens to Arabia."[/b]

[b]His prescription: "We gotta get them and get them big. And do like we do in Arabia: an eye for an eye."[/b]

[b]Salman's friend Collier was with the prince that day and described him as "shocked and horrified."[/b]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The winning horse paid 70 to 1. [shock]

Would have been nice to have $100 on that bet.

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
More upsetting, to me, was watching War Emblem struggle after almost falling at the starting gate.  He actually took a stride or two on his ankles before he recovered his balance and tried to get back up in front.  I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up lame with suspensory injuries. [:(]

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Would an American hating terrorist be racing a horse in a sport that centers around gambling (the epitomy of capitalistic oppulence)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top