Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 10:43:11 AM EDT
First off, I would like a M1.  I dont shoot any NRA matches or anything like that.  Is there any way around that?  Also, has anyone bought a AR-15 from them?  Prices seem decent.

Thanks
Scott

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
CMP will waive the marksmanship activity requirement for:

-those over 60 years of age

-those who have proof of military or law enforcement service.

No matter how you do it, get a CMP Garand.  You won't be disappointed.

Edited to add:  As far as I know, the CMP won't sell AR-15s directly to individuals.  You have to belong to a CMP affiliated club and buy the AR-15 from them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First off, I would like a M1.  I dont shoot any NRA matches or anything like that.  Is there any way around that?  Also, has anyone bought a AR-15 from them?  Prices seem decent.

Thanks
Scott
View Quote

If you have to shoot a match to get your Garand by all means try it. The CMP really don't care what score you get, just as long as you shoot a match, it used to be 2 matches under the old DCM; but back then, the Garands were only $250, and it took approximately 1 year to deliver.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
There are Garands for sale all over the place. CMP is not the only source. You can get CMP Garands at Gunbroker, Auction Arms, etc., as well as from outfits such as Orion7. The only thing that makes a Garand CMP is the receiver, and probably the majority of Orion7's Garands were originally CMP.

So, if you can't shoot a match, there are plenty of other sources available.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are Garands for sale all over the place. CMP is not the only source. You can get CMP Garands at Gunbroker, Auction Arms, etc., as well as from outfits such as Orion7. The only thing that makes a Garand CMP is the receiver, and probably the majority of Orion7's Garands were originally CMP.

So, if you can't shoot a match, there are plenty of other sources available.
View Quote

Yeah, and there are some demilled and re-welded receivers floating around, too.  You're far better off going through the CMP.  You'll pay less and you won't get an overpriced wallhanger.

Anthony Pucci Jr. at Orion 7 is well known in the Garand community and he is a trusted dealer.  You'll pay a bit more, but he is one of the good guys.  Avoid auctions for Garands like the plague, unless you want to trust that the seller will really honor any inspection period.  Re-welded receivers are out there folks, and they are crap!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top