Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 9:28:03 AM EDT
I've been reading "Whattaya Mean I Can't Kill 'Em?" by Rad Miller Jr.  He was a member of SEAL team 1 in Vietnam.  Very good read. He was talking about the weapons the teams liked to carry and mentioned the Stoner Weapons System, which I had never heard of:

"We are introduced to the Stoner Weapons System, which is a light machine gun using the M-16 5.56mm round... The ammo is used in 150-round linked belts, which feed from a round metal drum under the barrel. SEALs usually remove the shoulder stock, which leaves the Stoner with just a pistol grip, although a few guys keep the stock out of personal preference.  A short barrel is installed and a shoulder sling is mounted on the weapon that allows it to be carried hanging horizontally in a ready to fire position.  Lightweight, mechanically reliable, and with a firing rate of 700-900 rounds per minute, it will lay down a huge volume of fire, perfect for a small squad pretending to be much more numerous than it really is.  All of us really like the Stoner and it will be our first choice for usage in Vietnam."

[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/rad_miller.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#1]
From all I have read about this system, it is the one to have when the chips are down. To bad it didn't make it.

The civilian model would have been cool to own!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
From all I have read about this system, it is the one to have when the chips are down. To bad it didn't make it.

The civilian model would have been cool to own!
View Quote

There's a handful of transferable 63/63A's are out there, but if you want one, you'll need about $50k+ for one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
[>Q]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Stoner 63 was the basis of the modern Robinson Armament Company M96 Expeditionary Rifle, which to date can be configured into rifle, carbine, and BREN (upsidedown) configuration:

[img]www.biggerhammer.net/m96/m96_rightside_web.jpg[/img]

-Troy
View Quote

It's just not the real deal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#6]
don't most machine guns weigh more? How did they get it down to 8.5 pounds?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
don't most machine guns weigh more? How did they get it down to 8.5 pounds?
View Quote

"At 11.9 lbs. empty with wooden furniture and its bipod and sling attached,

the stoner 63 light machine gun weighed only a few pounds more than the then standard U.S. infantry rifle,

the M14, while offering a much higher volume of fire."

From the small arms review-Vol.5 No.7 April, 2002

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember seeing the stock and one other small item for sale at Subguns recently, it was over 4,000$.

The prices for the complete weapons are also insane.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
wasnt it desgined to be a modular weapons system ie need a LMG pop on this part need a carbine pop on this part?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top