Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 7:58:48 AM EDT
So....how long will it take before Americans realize that "terrorists" are not the real danger to America. Those who wish to destroy our nation are teaching our children, and working at all levels in govt and corporate America.....

EDUCATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debate over anthem surprises principal
By TODD HARTMAN
Scripps-McClatchy Western Service
June 07, 2002

DENVER - Poudre High School's decision to play the World anthem for its graduation ceremony sparked an angry reaction from a parent who wanted to hear the national anthem and stirred a dust-up on talk radio this week.

Gail Wagner, whose daughter graduated May 24, wrote a letter to the school principal, the district superintendent and the Denver Rocky Mountain News calling the anthem "an insipid little song about a world of peace and love" and an insult to America.

She said it took the place of the national anthem.

It did not, said Poudre High Principal Sandra Lundt.

Lundt said she was surprised to find the decision scolded on Mike Rosen's KOA talk show and Peter Boyles' KHOW show Thursday morning. Lundt said the Fort Collins school has never played the national anthem at its graduation.

"This was never meant to take the place of the national anthem," Lundt said. "It's an anthem that really celebrates every nation."

Wagner's husband, Fred, and daughter, Erin, also opposed the playing of the world anthem. Erin said she was surprised "The Star Spangled Banner" wasn't played.

"It didn't make much sense," Erin said. "We live in America, so they should have played it. I guess I would say I was offended."

Lundt said the school's senior class council, a group of 15 to 20 students, participated in the decision to play the world anthem. The school's orchestra, band and choir teamed to perform the piece.

The senior class council "was very excited about the opportunity," Lundt said, noting that one of the people who helped promote broader performance of the anthem, Ed Goodman, is a 1973 graduate of Poudre High.

(continued)
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
(continued)
The world anthem was conceived in 1996 and completed by 2000. The idea behind the piece, according to the Web site www.worldanthem.org, is this: "We believe there is a wonderful way to bring a message of hope, healing, peace and unification to all people through the universal language of music ... to give the world a gift, to bring about a symbol for peace and a common spirit of trust toward the idea of one people, one world."

Its creation, even those involved acknowledge, borders on the bizarre. Music from the anthems of every country in the world were combined in a computer. Using musicology software, a blended creation emerged. The same technique was used to produce the lyrics, according to Goodman.

"This is not two bars of 'The Star Spangled Banner,' then a bar of 'O Canada,'" Goodman said.

"It's more like if you took all the melodies, harmonies, rhythms and tempos and somehow were able to average them. ... It's very, very sophisticated; it took years of work to accomplish."

This means, Goodman said, that the piece wasn't composed by any one person or any one nation. "The point of it was to have one song that all nations could share," he said.

The piece has a significant history in Colorado. It was heard for the first time at the Denver Millennium Celebration on Dec. 31, 2000, at the stroke of midnight in conjunction with fireworks, according to historians of the anthem. In November 2001, the Colorado Symphony Orchestra provided the first live performance of the piece.

Goodman said that even Air Force's Band of the Rockies is taken with the piece and arranging its own version. It's slated to be played at an upcoming global peace conference in Croatia and at a ceremony celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Peace Corps this summer.

The Wagners are not impressed.

"No matter how much the principal gushed over the privilege of being one of the first to hear this piece performed, we did not feel privileged or find it inspirational, heartwarming or moving," Gail Wagner wrote to the News.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Contact Todd Hartman of the Rocky Mountain News at hartmant(at)RockyMountainNews.com.)
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you expect? The liberal agenda is unpopular with most people, so the only way they can promote their agenda is through the schools, the courts, and unions. All institutions in which you have NO choice but to listen.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What do you expect? The liberal agenda is unpopular with most people, so the only way they can promote their agenda is through the schools, the courts, and unions. All institutions in which you have NO choice but to listen.
View Quote

Amen!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the 'World Anthem' sound anything at all like the Communist [i][b]Internationale[/i][/b]?

[size=3][i]The Internationale[/i][/size=3]

Arise ye prisoners of starvation.
Arise ye wretched of the earth.
For justice thunders condemnation.
A better world's in birth.
No more tradition's chains shall bind us.
Arise ye slaves no more inthrall.
The earth shall rise on new foundations.
We have been naught we shall be all.

Tis the final conflict.
Let each stand in his place.
The International Union
shall be the human race.
'Tis the final conflict.
Let each stand in his place.
The International Working Class
shall be the human race.

We want no condescending saviors.
To rule us from their judgment hall.
We workers ask not for their favours.
Let us consult for all.
To make the thief disgorge his booty.
To free the spirit from its cell.
We must ourselves decide our duty.
We must decide and do it well.

Chorus

The law oppresses us and tricks us,
The wage slave system drains our blood;
The rich are free from obligations,
The laws the poor delude.
Too long we've languished in subjection,
Equality has other laws;
"No rights" says she, "without their tution,
No claims on equals without cause!"

Chorus

Behold them seated in their glory,
The kings of mine and rail and soil!
What have you read in all their story,
But how they plundered toil?
Fruits of the workers's toil are buried.
In strongolds of the idle few;
In working for their restitution.
The men will only claim their due.

Chorus

We toilers from all fields united.
Join hand in hand with all who work;
The earth belongs to us, the workers.
No room here for the shirk.
How many on our flesh have fattened!
But if the norsome birds of prey
shall vanish from the sky some morning,
the blessed sunlight then will stay.

I would be very surprised if it didn't sound the same, and had similar words, as well.

To hear [i][b]The Internationale[/b][/i], go here:[url]http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/html_pages/internatsional.html[/url]

Unfortunately, it's in Russian, but, for some reason, it sounds better in Russian!

Eric The(Anti-SovietAnything)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So....how long will it take before Americans realize that "terrorists" are not the real danger to America. Those who wish to destroy our nation are teaching our children, and working at all levels in govt and corporate America.....
View Quote

Most Americans will not.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#7]
We have met the enemy, and he is US!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
What in the hell is wrong with you people? If republicans like Bush Sr. endorse a one world entity, then it must be beneficial to all.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Just more proof of the true intentions of the NEA and the leftist teachers unions. Public indoctination centers will never teach the true meaning of American pride. It's "one world under us and don't talk back".

Stepped-init [puke]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Duncan, as I have said before--I gotta meet you one day.  We are two peas in a pod.  Trust me.
View Quote

I look forward to it Mike.....
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
So, wondering what this sounded like, I sent to the site... it is the Mindshare Institute, and the site opened with a quote from Margarite Mead... well, we have THEIR number, don't we?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
When individuals or groups try to think for you, that is terrorism.  When individuals or groups say "trust me I will provide for you", that is terrorism. When individuals or groups say "vote for me and I will give you everything for nothing", that is terrorism.  When individuals or groups impose their beliefs and thoughts on you, that is terrorism. When individuals or groups kill your people and destroy your property, that is war.  Larry Cribbs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top