Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 11:47:28 PM EDT
I have a 72.5x41x28 Champion Challenger series safe with shelves that are 5/8-3/4" fiberboard.  The shelf hangers slip into holes on metal strips that are attached to the firelining (sheetrock).  The rails do not run all the way to the bottom of the safe.  How careful do I need to be about the weight I put on these?  I don't want to put ammo on these shelves, then hear a "clunk" days later and find the rails ripped out of the sheetrock.  I'll consult the dealer, but I figured I'd get opinions here too.

TIA
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a guestimate, but 200 pounds is a guess.  Plenty for most everything except ammo.  I don't see why people put ammo in safes.  Total waste of space.  Unless it is on the bottom and for weighing the safe down. heh.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with 7 on the space issue. .50 & 20 mm cans work good for ammo. The safe is for valuables. 'Course it depends on how much you have. If you just got the safe, and don't have enough goodies to fill it, you will some day....
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply, 7.  "ammo" was an expedient way of saying "loaded mags" - approaching 3 digits of 30's, a few 20's too.

As for putting ammo in safes (cases), I have mine on the bottom.  Not only for weighing the safe down (1240 lbs empty), but my guns aren't worth much without cartridges.  When you figure you have at least one preban's worth of ammo, if you have room, you put it in the safe - or at least I do.

Don't have enough guns to completely fill it.[:(]

YET![:D]

about to call the safe dealer - I'll post what they have to say.......
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My dealer's closed till Thursday - sister dealer opens at noon....

Back to baking mags for now...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Are the shelfs supported on both sides?  I opted for a configuration that has "half shelves" on one side.  They are held up by two brackets that only attach to one side of the safe.  If I put very much weight on them, I can see the metal strips starting to try to pull away from the safe sides.  I'm not sure how the strips are anchored to the sides of the safe, so don't know how much of a risk there is here.

I'm planning on making some supports out of dowels and bracing up the other sides of the shelves - that should take care of the pulling problem.

Agree with everyone else - definately no room for ammo in my safe!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
only have pistols/mags on the shelf, i think any large quantity of ammo would be too heavy.  bottom storage takes up room for long guns.

i thought you needed an inexpensive safe to store the ammo cans of ammo in.  what do you store the ammo cans in to secure them?

how can you qualify as having a 'cache' and/or 'arsenal' of weapons and ammo without multiple safes.  of course one or two rounds of empty brass should be strewn about the home for the obligatory 'weapons and ammo were found throughout the home' headlines.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Salesman's frank reply was "I have no idea".

Yes, the shelves are supported on both sides of the safe.

I have an alternate indoor spot that I can use for excess ammo.  No really good place for me to put a second cheaper safe for ammo.

As for the "cache" - that's really what my safe is and that's how I planned it.  Filled web gear, medical supplies, ect, all reside in my safe.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't have a clue as I had to tear mine out just to get the guns in![:D] Ask Steyer how well guns FIT in a gun safe! [BD]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top