Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 6:57:59 PM EDT
I need an answer to this dilemma.
 UPS was notified as described below and will answer in 24hrs.
 You guys might be faster.
Here's what happened:

[b]Please inform me regarding the proper procedure for shipping firearm PARTS (note: these are not the serial #'d part considered the firearm; these are accessories or parts).

I attempted to return some ammunition magazines ("clips" to the uninformed) to Remington Arms Co. in North Carolina.
The place of business is called the MAILBOX at XXX X St.
The lady at the counter looked at the box and asked what was in it.  I told her the box contained "magazines".
She said she could not ship 'gun parts' because someone could send 12 boxes of parts and assemble a gun...
I informed her that these were accessories to be returned as per instructions from Remington.  Shipped and insured UPS.
The next comment was that UPS could not ship to a PO BOX.  I can see that may be true, and told her I would get a street address from the folks at Remington.
Next, I asked to just send it insured by US Postal Service.  She said they don't do insured mail...
At this point, I sensed that she was seriously misinformed, antagonistic, and probably anti-gun, all or part of which may or may not be relevant.
She also stated that parts must be shipped 'dealer to dealer'.
I told her that I used to be a 'dealer' and understood that firearms must be shipped that way, but not parts.
I told her I had recently shipped a riflestock back to the manufacturer for replacement from that very place of business.  She got very irritated and asked if the stock was 'declared' or if I was asked what was in the box...
This is where I decided to give up and get the hell out of there.
I also used to work in Security, and in light of the events of 9-11-2001, I understand completely the need to be careful, but, I think this lady was going overboard.
Please describe in detail the policy for shipping PARTS and instruct me as to the best way to ship these parts back to Remington for replacement.
Thank you for your time.
I've done business with UPS for years and appreciate the assistance.
I always look forward to seeing the "UPS Man".[/b]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Make it more clear that she may threaten your long-standing relationship with UPS, if you have to deal with her stupidity. And make sure UPS knows [b]EXACTLY[/b] which service provider client is endangering their business with you.....

Scott

P.S. You could have replied to her: "What do monthly periodicals have to do with gun parts?"

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you please post this a 4th time please?[;)]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Add some new words to your vocabulary:

Machine parts

Auto parts

Tubular goods

Tools

Recreational supplies

...and last but not least:

None of your business.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Busmaster, I had the same prblem while shipping a barrel.........unbelievable huh??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is my understanding that a third party shipping agent may no longer accept or ship any firearms parts.  They would have to go directly through the US post office, or UPS terminal.
View Quote

Is this a 9/11 after-effect? If she is following the law, I guess no real recourse is available. Are you close to an UPS terminal? We are lucky enough to have one in Fishersville. (I would guess a third party access point would also cost more...)

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you please post this a 4th time please?[;)]

Sgtar15
View Quote

Wow.  I think I lost a couple of comments in the "other" posts!
Sorry, guys. [rolleyes]
It was going so darn slow I just kept hitting the 'submit' button... [:E]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]
... pardon my French but I've always said FVCK 'EM!

... machined parts are machined parts. The ONLY thing to concern yourself is the lower (or upper in a FALs case.
Then I either pack it in cosmoline or wrap in tape and they never know the difference.
Remember to always insure your shipment, it's cheap.

I send and receive stuff all the time this way never a problem.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Check this out:

[b]Thank you for your inquiry.  We sincerely apologize for any unprofessional
behavior exhibited by one of our Customer Service Representatives.
We have forwarded your information to your local UPS Delivery
Center for further assistance. You may expect to be contacted
by the end of the business day, 06/10/02. We appreciate your
patience. If we may assist you in the future, please feel free
to contact us.

Thank you for using UPS Internet Services.
[/b]

Howzat for fast?
I just got it.
Damn!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
OK guys - it was a little murky, but Mr. Cramden's brother appears to be using one of those "Mailbox Etc. USA", or "Postal Plus" type 3rd - party mailing, packaging, receiving stores where you can also buy pagers, cell phones, and other goodies.  

Does this sound right?

If so, I agree about going directly to the real Post Office or even UPS itself, though personally I think UPS sucks.  At the post office, I don't think you even have to say what you are sending in the box, though the insurance may change that,  not sure.  I believe you only have to tell them the value.

I've found that it's sometimes hard enough getting an informed and educated answer even at the USPS or UPS counter.

The 3rd party mailing agents seem to be all over the place with what they know and can do.

I think you are in Seattle.  If so, you might as well try to go straight to the post office with this one, maybe when you have some dead time.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
You run into this sometimes, I ship firearms parts from Office Depots UPS counter  all the time. UPS does require you ship firearms from a UPS depot counter. The girl at our UPS depot (which happens to be 25+ miles away) just asks to see the FFL where it is going when I ship a firearm, handguns have to ship UPS overnight.

I also ship rifles and parts at the post office. The first time I shipped parts from our main post office the clerk started to give me a song and dance about how they could not ship firearms parts after September 11, that stopped after I asked to speak with the Postmaster. I now ship at a post office branch where they know me. You cannot ship handguns via US mail.

If what you are shipping is over 3 pounds or has a value over $200 UPS is almost always cheaper. But the Post office seems to be quicker if the package is being is being shipped from the eastern US to west of Dallas.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#16]
See, there was another gal that had just come in after me and was listening to the banter.
She was sighing and rolling her eyes (soccer-mom style) while the counter lady was getting to be more of a bitch with her new audience.
That is when I decided they were both fukked up and left.
Sorry.

Bear in mind, these are little "post ban" plastic 10-round magazines for a Remington 597 to be replaced with the new metal ones.
That's all I'm doing is sending these back for exchange.  
Try telling that to these two numbskulls.
I finally had a 'nice cup of shut the fuck up' and didn't tell her that besides the riflestock I'd sent last week, I sent my (HORRORS!)Beretta slide to Trijicon for fixed sight installation! [:D]
I was afraid they both might start bleeding on the floor...(like Liberals; not the other kind, you sick bastards). [;D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#17]
BusMaster,

Where did you find info on replacing those mags? Are they doing the exchange for free, is there info on thier site somewhere? I have a couple 597 mags that are plastic and cracked also!

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I just mailed a rifle from a small post office yesterday.  The clerk had never done it before but was very cooperative in checking the domestic mail manual.  I had all the references available for him.  The other clerk on duty was also very interested since she had never processed a rifle mailing.  I did not see any anti-gun bias, only a concern to follow the regulations.  I used this small post office on purpose so that they would remember me and so that the process would be a lot easier in the future.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
There are no restrictions on shipping magazines either by USPS or common carrier.  They need not be labeled and if required declare them as machine parts.

You can't ship ammunition via USPS. Small arms ammunition must be packed in cardboard and sent by common carrier and clearly labeled "ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition" on the outside of the package.  You can't ship ammunition via USPS.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Y'all remember a few years ago, when the carriers were refusing to handle firearms and such?

UPS was the only one who would handle a handgun, and it had to be NEXT DAY AIR?? Remember that?

They still handle firearms, and handguns are still required to go next day, long guns whatever, but it doesn't have to be next day.
FEDEX won't handle handguns at all, and the USPS won't either.

USPS will only handle handguns IF they're going to a police dept letterhead, or government agency, PERIOD!!! They will handle long guns though.

If you have a shipper account with UPS, you can gain some latitude on shipping, believe me.

It does cost you some, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you can drop the cost on the business license(tax write off!!).

Whats more, they will pickup, and you don't get the CRAP from uninformed succermums and the such. The drivers are in too damned much of a hurry to screw with you anyway. Get it?

Yup, they do pickups, but it will have to be at least 2nd day air to get that service.

You see the advantages already, right?

I just went to UPS.COM to verify they're posture on certain particulars on, say firearms, but the site isn't responding, says it's currently offline. Probably PM being done.

FYI
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#21]
The Postal Service WILL ship handguns if they are going between dealers and/or manufacturors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top