Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2002 11:43:55 AM EDT
Its summer time and boy is it hot. I figure if I clean shave my big head I can cool it a bit. There a few catches though.

I have a humongous head. With no hair it will look bigger than usual
I am on a job hunt. How professional will it look with a shave mellon walking into an interview?
How often will I have to razor shave it? Will it be more work than its worth?

Can you guys shed some light on this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Buzz cut.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I would ever shave my head.

But when I arrived in Texas one August, was it ever HOT and HUMID! I was wondering what kind of hell I had gotten myself into. On the second day I went to a barber and had him cut my hair using a clipper with a #2 guide. Took my hair right down to a nice reasonable, and importanly, COOL, level.

Back to shaving your head, whther or not it looks good depends on the person. If you are fairly buff with an at least mildly dark complexion, it looks tough and pretty good. If you're a pale, skinny white guy, you end up looking like a cancer patient.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Shaved will only look good if you have a very symetrical head and a even complexion. Few people can pull it off.

Buy yourself some clippers and buzz cut it with a #2. Short enought you dont have to mess with it and long enought to cover scars & bumps.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what I look like.

[img]www.awesome-als.net/images/Als_mug.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with a shorter haircut, maybe a high and tight, before shaving it all off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...you are fairly buff with an at least mildly dark complexion, it looks tough and pretty good. If you're a pale, skinny white guy, you end up looking like a cancer patient.
View Quote

LMAO!!! That's damn funny!! Or...well... maybe not. But it sure strikes me as funy. [:D] Because it's so true.

Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmm...looks like a job for the AR15.com Photoshop Army. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't do it [b]lordtrader[/b]!

You will succeed only in looking like the evil Emperor Ming the Merciless from those Flash Gordon cartoons!

Small children and animals will scatter upon your approach.

All you'd need would be a cape and pointy fingernails, and I might try to hide from you myself![:D]

If you've forgotten what the evil Emperor Ming looked like, here is Max Van Sydow in the super camp 1980 [b]Flash Gordon[/b] movie:

[img]http://www.gosub600.com/flashgordon/flash15.gif[/img]

Need I say more?

Eric The(GotThatFuManchuThingGoing)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

MY EYES! MY EYES! THEY"RE MELTING!(shave it)
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I shaved mine a year ago because it was too hot and a pain in the ass to keep under control.  Thinking about doing it again soon.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You're aiming 3 feet too high, wrong nogin.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Shave it I did!!! Just think of all the money you will save on shampoo!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a humongous head.

View Quote

That's not what the girl say[;)]

Actually LT I used to always buzz my hair and loved it.  But I to am looking for work so I let it grow out.  I swear as soon as I find a job its getting cut again.

Wife doesnt like it shaved because she says she misses running her hands thru my hair....I just drop my pants and tell her she still can it just  differant hair!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
lordtrader,

you've got mail.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Take a look at pictures of Waverunner from BRC.

Anyhoo, depending upon what profession you are looking to get into it could be a serious handicap at the interviews.  I'd say cut it short (#2 everywhere on the top, #1 on the sides and back).  It's amazing how things cool down with your hair real short on the sides and back (one step up from stubble).  It's neat and trim, reasonably stylish and you won't lose points at the interview, at least not for looking too militant.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lordtrader,

you've got mail.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

[:D] Got the e-mail. I look kind cool bald. I may just do it.

I will post the photshopped photo that ByteTheBullet did as soon as I get home.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a high and tight.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://members.verizon.net/~vze2ncbk/ponch.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Do it while you're still young enough to grow it back without a lot of gray.

[peep]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Take it from a half-bald 52 year-old. Any guy with a full head of hair that shaves it, earns a special Voodoo curse from me.[devil]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have an ugly head and/or it isn't shaped well don't do it.  Get a buzz cut or maybe a flat top.  I been getting flat tops for a long time and the barber always cuts it short...looks very similar to a buzz cut.  Then see how that looks...

If you think it doesn't look to bad then I suppose go the next step and shave it off.

I play with the idea sometimes to shave my head but I have scars on my head, my head to me looks to oval and I'm kind of big.  Buzz cut or short flat top is the next best thing I would think...at least then the girls like playing with your hair, at least I would think...so lonely, oh so very lonely.  [:(]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, here's a rough idea [:D]

[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/Als_mug.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Jetlag -

We were sitting here at work making comments about how lordtrader looked strikingly similar to Eric Estrada.

Thanks for proving our point.

ROTFLMFAO...

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh yeah -

Lordtrader -

Go for the shaved head.  Did it myself over a year ago and haven't looked back.  Even convinced a friend of mine to do the same.

[b][/b]Chicks dig it, and they'll always want to touch your shaved head.  And, since it always feels good when they touch your head, you won't mind.[b][/b]

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/Als_mug.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Graar!!!  Fear me and my giant pulsating brain!!!  Graar!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I shave my head, it's actually pretty nice because I'm very sensitive to heat. The only thing is that you have to make sure you shave it regularly, because or else your hair is going to look messed up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#30]
roflmao.  hahah, nice photoshop job.  Every month I do a #2 everywhere.  Nice and simple and easy to deal with.  

I've never had a bald head, but watch out for SUNBURN.  

I found that #1 lets out the weird features of the head, while #2 camo's perfectly. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I keep mine shaved. The chicks dig it!!
Have to pass a razor over it every 2-3 days. The new Shick extremes are the cats meow for keeping that melon shiny!

Just remember to put on the nerd block in the summer or your going to get burned!!
Bullfrog works good  SPF 36 and its water proof.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Shave your dome, then tattoo your face on the back of your head.  Nobody will know if you are coming or going.

Freaky.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#33]
If you're in doubt, shave your ballz for a tiny example of what the real deal will look like. More wrinkles, but close enough.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm one of those "folical challenged" individuals anyway so I use an electric shaver once a week with out any guides on the closest setting. No barber,no shampoo,no blow dryers,no brushes or combs no fuss and no muss. Wake up in the morning shower dry off and your ready for the day! Do the eye brows too what the hell![bounce] If ya shave it you'll have to shave every day.....enjoy grasshopper![:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Are you talking about hitting your dome with clippers or shaving smooth down to the scalp?

If smooth down to the scalp, you will have to put in regular maintenance to keep it that way. If you're talking trimming it with clippers only, then all bets are off.

I say, go for it. Nothing quite like the looks you'll get from others when you do, even if they know you. Everyone should shave their head at least once.

If my father's hair line is any indication, I will be balding in a few years (I'm 30 now), so I decided I to get use to it so I won't be one of those putzes who tries to swirl hair from the side to try to cover the top of my bald head. May be just me, but I am not defined by my hair, my gun ownership or my looks, just to name a few.

"I have seen an American general and his officers, without pay, and almost without clothes, living on roots and drinking water; and all for LIBERTY! What chance have we against such men!" -- young British officer to Colonel Watson describing the American militia rebels in Georgetown, SC [Source: 'Marion, The Life of Gen. Francis Marion' by M. L. Weems, C18]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#37]
What, and look like every other cat? It's a fad dude! don't do it! Be yourself, an individual. AB
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Cut it low first if you like it then shave it
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#39]
[img]http://www.mcgeedigital.com/ar15/Als_mug.jpg[/img]

Nuff said!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Go for it.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/JAFO%2FAls%5Fmug%2Ejpg[/img]

If your potential boss judges you by appearance, do you really want to work there anyway?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I'm drinking a bottle of Merlot right now. About half way thru. We'll see if I still have the urge after I finish the bottle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Shave it. Grow beard. Get at least four earrings. Apply for diversity trainer job at large international companies and with your talent for B.S. you'll be having your choice of jobs. No, really.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I'm drinking a bottle of Merlot right now. About half way thru. We'll see if I still have the urge after I finish the bottle.
View Quote

... don't do it drinking bro!

... beside Holmes, ya need to go the OTHER WAY!
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/winston_wolf/Afro.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Shave your SCROTE.
Just don't post a picture of it!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Say you are Buddhist. That works. If not, you you are a mean mother and kick ass and take names for your job interview.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#46]
LT - send me a mail.

I have a set of professional clippers and have been cutting my own "blended", not "bird's nest", high and tights for the last fifteen years.  Takes skill to do it with one hand using two mirrors!  Done plenty for others both in and out of the service too.  I strive for perfection and quit going to barber shops because I would always have to fix a small ridge, symetry error, or other mistake from the barber shop when I got home.

I'd be glad to give you a hair a "fashion show" if you're game.  A barber will get pissed if you try to get him to cut it.  Now let's see it shorter.  Now let's see it shorter.  Now a flat-top.  Now a crew cut.  Ect.....

There are some tricks to doing it yourself - I've seen some folks have to wear ball caps for a few weeks after a major f*ck up! HAHA!!!!!  And the earlier comment on different head shapes is true - one formula won't "fit" all heads.

On the other hand, it's only hair.  Give it a try yourself - if you screw it up - whack it all off!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Well I done did it first thing this morning. Chickened out and went with a #3 though. I must admit it looks kind good.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Not for nothing, LT, but we could pass for brothers:[img]http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/007/2D/2B/12/36/Y+vGneuiQUXDrz0i38pbAwiA-ONS+JVJ0180.jpg[/img]

Now with that said, I have shaved my head.  It's nice, but a pain.  You have to shave everyday so you don't look "scruffy,"  BUT It'll take less time to shave your head than shave your face when you get used to it.  Now I just buzz it because Shaving it everyday was a pain and razors cost more than hair gel.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
[img]http://members.verizon.net/~vze2ncbk/ponch.jpg[/img]
View Quote

good god thats a big head...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I've got to trim my mellon for a interview on Monday.  I usually use a 4 on top and 2 on sides. Wish me luck [:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top