Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2002 8:59:43 AM EDT
With my post yesterday of AT coming up, I thought back to AT 2 years ago and remembered that we made a video that year. I did put a short clip of it up on the web at [url]www.milpubs.com/ghostriders.mpg[/url]

Works best if you let it download all the way before you play it. Imagine all this, and getting paid to do it!  [;)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool video! [8D]

As a fixed-wing pilot, I've always wondered how the Army trains chopper pilots.

Do they just start you off with dual time in something like a Huey, or are there "trainer" choppers like the Cessna 150s of the fixed-wing world?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Used to be, they started with ground school, then on to TH-55's, then to Hueys, and then a transition to whatever aircraft they were assigned to fly. Now, they are starting them in OH-58s I belive.

Here is a good link with pics of 55s and a description of a solo. [url]http://www.redtoyz.com/th-55.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link Aviator, interesting stuff!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Somebody told me that, while in training, chopper pilots had to wear propellor beanies.  Is this true? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#5]
It's all about you isn't it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's all about you isn't it.
View Quote

who pulled your string?  [;)]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
hungover
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Somebody told me that, while in training, chopper pilots had to wear propellor beanies.  Is this true? [:D]
View Quote

That is part of an exercise to develope coordination. The pilot in training is required to run around the training course avioding obstacles while keeping his propellor beanie at the proper pitch. During the exercise trainees must make accurate chopper sounds: "thump-thump-thump-thump....."

If the beanie propellor fails to spin during the exercise, the student fails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top