Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 2:56:49 AM EDT
Well, the Maryland Army National Guard anyway. I have MEP's on Tuesday, and basic starts at FT. Benning GA. in early July. Light Infantry with 1st Squad of the 158th Cavarly Regiment, 19 Delta Scout Recon (LRSD for I think long range scout detachment)out of Annapolis.

What do you guys know of the outfit? Is it a good choice? I have an idea, but what do they exactly do? I wanted something alittle higher speed than just sitting around all of the time once I get back.

What do I need to know about MEPS's and any advice for getting through Basic Training. I have one month to get ready and I plan on running, doing push up's, sit up's, and pull up's, but is that enough time? Oh, and I have one huge honking Tat on my left forearm. Is my life going to be hell when my DI see's it? The recruiter doesn't think it will be that big of a deal, but what do you think?

I know there's a few others that have just done the same and joined the guard so I hope these questions aren't getting old. My grandfather who's close to passing on anyday has inspired my to do this. He was in North Africa, Sicily, and France earning a Bronze Star in the war. My father was in the central highlands of Vietnam, I'm thirty now and wanted to carry on before it got to be too late.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
mk1iii, Congrats Dude! I did OSUT at Benning in 89-90. Basic isnt all that bad. Just realize that the drills ( rember its Drill [b]SARGENT[/b] LOL )are playing with your head, and 99% of basic is cake(I actually enjoyed it) once you realize that it is just a big mind game.
Dont sweat the tat.
If you can do 13 pushups in 2 min, you can handle basic physicaly( you wil  be avle to do BUNCHES more when youre done)
Good luck and rember, If you aint CAV, you aint SHIT!
Echo6
E co 2/5 CAV 1st CAV Div
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I thought the Cav Scout did OSUT at Ft Knox, too. At least they did when I was going through tanker OSUT at Disneyland.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#4]
It's just straight basic training at Ft. Benning, GA. I'm sure the 19D schooling is Ft. Knox. July was alot sooner than I planned. I had hope to let the summer pass before going in, but it was either right away or wait until Jan. and I want to get this part done ASAP.

Yeah, Cav has some coolness factor going for it.

This is what I found on Recon Scout:

Scout platoons conduct reconnaissance to provide their commander with information that has tactical value concerning the terrain, the enemy, and the effects of weather within an area of operations. Scouts reconnoiter terrain to determine movement and maneuver conditions. When they find the enemy, they determine his disposition, strengths, and weaknesses in detail. The scout platoon provides the information necessary to allow combined arms forces to maneuver against the enemy, strike him where he is most vulnerable, and apply overwhelming power to defeat him.
(1) Scout Platoon: The scout platoon is the primary R&S asset of the maneuver battalion. It can perform all types of R&S missions but must be part of a larger force to perform counter recon missions. There are presently two types of scout platoons:
(a) Heavy Division: Scout platoons possess 30 personnel and 10 x HMMWVs (or 6 x M3 CFVs).
(b) Light / Airborne / Air Assault Division: Scout platoons possess 18 personnel and no organic vehicles.
The scouts primary mission is to conduct reconnaissance 10 -15 km (mounted) and 500 -1000m (dismounted) beyond the FEBA

[50]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I thought the Cav Scout did OSUT at Ft Knox, too. At least they did when I was going through tanker OSUT at Disneyland.
View Quote

When were you there? Me:Sep-Dec '92
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
At MEPS you wont forget when they say bend and cough. Don't let them treat you like shit,when I was at CA MEPS in 89 the fucking doctors and staff treated me like I was in the military already, they were complete assholes. There is no reason for them to act this way and you shouldn't let them treat you like that, remember they want/need you and you don't deserve it.
Stand your ground when they are dicks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks DOCPIG-
That's good advice.

BTW- I just got back from my first run to get back into shape. Let me just say, what we think we can do is a whole lot different than what really can. Sucking wind like a dog.[puke]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

When were you there? Me:Sep-Dec '92
View Quote

Summer of '85
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations MK1iii, and Good luck!!

Ft. Benning is very sandy, at least as i recall. Beautiful sky.

The building you'll likely be quartered at is called a "starship" that has five wings, each containing a company comprised of four platoons each. All of the barracks are on the top floor (2nd). No bunk beds. mess hall is in the center and you will have to do pull-ups before a meal.

Carry as little as possible with you when you go to basic.

Get a pad for your helmet.

Bring/buy good running shoes.

Buy insoles for your boots, your heels will thank you. -pick up mole skin too.

Never mess with a latino DS. They are the meanest. Actually, never "mess" with a DS.

MEPS. nevery volunteer information unless specifically asked. If its not documented, it never happened-unless obvious.

Drink Orange Juice all the while in basic. During your 1-2 week inprocessing they will give you a shot. I cant remember what is is called, but it supposed to protect you from the flu. It made me sick as a dog.

...oh yeah, do lots of crunches too.

Expect to run around with a canteen of water in your cargo pocket and an M17 pro-mask on your hip.

lib
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did OSUT at Benning in 89-90.
View Quote

I was there in early 1990. D 1/50th.  Infantry OSUT at Sand Hill. Not too horrible.

Don;t aim for 13 push ups because you need to be able to do 13 GOOD push ups in proper form.  If you ain't in good condition already you will end up doing 30 or more push ups to get 13 good ones and you still may not make it.  Your reward is 2 weeks in a Fitness Training Unit under the expert care of a group of Drill Instructors who will push you to muscle failure and beyond (ask me how I know.)  I did about 32 push ups in my first test and only 11 of them counted.  I tested out of FTU in 1 week, but that was embarrassing as all hell.  I could run forever and sit ups weren't too hard, but I couldn't do a good push up. I actually LOST time on my runs during basic because we didn't run as much as I had in civilian life.

One thing about Columbus, GA, when it storms, IT STORMS.  The heat can be murderous and it's always humid.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
congrats and good luck. i actually liked my time at Benning. i was there back in '85 at Harmony Church, that place was a HOLE!! they had WWII TEMPORARY barracks we stayed in, broken windows, almost falling down, and dusty as hell. are you sure your going LRSD or LRSU ?
19D is mounted recon. LRSU/LRSD is light infantry 11B type stuff, ive yet to know anyone LRSD who wasnt 11B, also LRSD you have to be airborne/airassault qualified, i suspect if you were going LRSD youd have OSUT 11b at benning and then your airborne training also at benning immedietly after. if your going 19D youl do your AIT at Ft Knox after basic at benning. (actualy im puzzled why you are not doing osut at Knox}...good luck...and have fun in happy humid Ft Benning.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for your service, and good luck!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Congratulations and thanks for your service!!

About the 13 pushups in 2 minutes... I don't mean to be a dick about this, but COME ON. Even if it takes 30 normal pushups to equal 13 "perfect" pushups.... who cares?? No offense but good God I would never go into basic training without being able to do 50 pushups in 2 min's. And that is an understatement... I would only go after being able to do about double that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Man you sure picked a wicked time of the year to a forced march at Knox.OSUT is nice because you stay with your own cycle for all the training.Try not to laugh in the Drills at the wrong time or you'll learn about the "dying cockroach"Good Luck..Hiwathl 19Delta 1982 Ft.Knox kiss my ass!!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow! I go away for a day and I get all these replies. Thank you all.

I know it's 19D but the LRSD part I may have wrong.

So how many pull ups do you have to be able to do. I'm doing ok with the crunchs and push ups (about twenty per rep) and running two miles a day so far but I just started. I'll get much better soon. It keeps getting easier as I do it.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Take all the "basic training tips" posted with a grain of salt. I went thru Infantry OSUT in early 2000. You CAN pass the PT test the first time. You will NOT necessarily have to do pulups (it's not a part of the  APFT anyway), not everyone HAD to buy new shoes, if you showed up with decent running shoes you could save your money. Some platoons could only have water or milk, others could drink whatever they wanted. Their is a ton of variation from battalion to battalion, company to company and platoon to platoon. Way too many people talk about their basic exp. like it's the one and only. It ain't. And I never saw one of the air gun shots, ours were all good old fashioned syringe. Nothing like a cold dose of penicilin right in the ass!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]
203gnr-
Your post helped alot. I was also really wondering about the shoe thing. In basic I wasn't sure if they ran in boots or sneakers and if it was sneaks do you use your own or they issued them. I'll buy a good pair before leaving.

Thanks to all who replied,
Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top