Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 11:31:14 PM EDT
It always bothered me that the Seattle Mariners baseball stadium (built against taxpayers wishes after rejected by a popular vote) named by selling the rights to the highest bidder, Safeco Insurance Company. As a taxpayer built facility, it should bear a name that honors someone or something in the community, not a damn ripoff insurance company.

But I was just reading something about the Houston Astro's baseball stadium being renamed "Minute Maid Park".

Is this true? What a stupid name. It supposedly only cost Minute Maid $100 million. How can you Texans be proud of such lame ballpark name?

I don't care much about baseball or most other pro sports, but the commercialization of our society is getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It always bothered me that the Seattle Mariners baseball stadium (built against taxpayers wishes after rejected by a popular vote)...
View Quote

With special thanks to Ron(F--kYouThisIzMyTown!)Sims

...named by selling the rights to the highest bidder, Safeco Insurance Company. As a taxpayer built facility, it should bear a name that honors someone or something in the community, not a damn ripoff insurance company...
View Quote

[CEO]Just who do you think built this country - the working stiff taxpayers? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!![/CEO]

...But I was just reading something about the Houston Astro's baseball stadium being renamed "Minute Maid Park".

Is this true? What a stupid name...
View Quote

[Michael Eisner]"Mickey Mouse Park" - Yeah. I like it![/Michael Eisner]

...It supposedly only cost Minute Maid $100 million. How can you Texans be proud of such lame ballpark name?
View Quote

How do you expect meet the terms of Alex(ShowMeDaMoney)Rodriguez' contract? It's not as if the [i]team[/i] is capable of funding it.

...I don't care much about baseball or most other pro sports, but the commercialization of our society is getting ridiculous.
View Quote

We're past the 'getting there' point. We've arrived.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How do you expect meet the terms of Alex(ShowMeDaMoney)Rodriguez' contract? It's not as if the [i]team[/i] is capable of funding it.
View Quote

FYI....A-Rod doesn't play for the Astros, he plays for the Rangers and their stadium is the Ballpark in Arlington.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
...along with those little freakin' icons in the corner of your TV for every channel...and the way the screen shrinks during the credits so they can squeeze in a commercial; and you can't read the credits.

TOO MUCH.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

FYI....A-Rod doesn't play for the Astros, he plays for the Rangers and their stadium is the Ballpark in Arlington.
View Quote

Yes, I know - I thought this was in reference to the TR's. Shows how often I get down south.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate seeing arenas named after their corporate sponsors. I really wanted them to name the Rangers new place Ryan Field or something similar. The Ballpark in Arlington isn't too bad though. At least it isn't Tampax Field. [shock]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that's a GREAT idea. Name big sports facilities and malls after corporations...hmmm, what ever happened to Enron Field?!?!

I have been waiting FOREVER to ask this one.[:D]

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Damn, too slow )-:
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Minute Maid Park...Where the fans are juiced, and the players are squeezed.
View Quote

More like the players are juiced and the fans are squeezed. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It always bothered me that the Seattle Mariners baseball stadium (built against taxpayers wishes after rejected by a popular vote)
View Quote

What, you didn't vote for it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top