Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 7:29:45 PM EDT
I have this problem that when waking my computer up from sleep mode it will not wake up the monitor half the time.  I have to restart the computer to wake the thing up.  Is there any key or settings that will wake the monitor up.  Its driving me nuts to have to keep restarting everytime I sit down at the comp.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't tried that with this monitor, its a fairly nice one.  It hasn't done this until the last month or so.  Back in 1998 I threw a pos Dell out the upstairs window of my apartment because it kept freezing up.  The dumpster was about 30yds from the window so it was close to its home anyway.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Management, and play around with that. Or alternatively, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Screen Saver > Settings.
Under monitor, I have mine set to "never"; works for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you also have a screen saver that kicks in? Some screen savers will conflict with waking up the machine, depending on the operating system and brand.

My Sony has that problem, especially with the Tomb Raider Screen Saver.

Also, on my Windows ME, it will no longer sleep, stand by, or hibernate, since I installed something for networking (maybe the proxy client)... MSDN FAQs have various solutions, yet never seem to solve it for my Windows ME. Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the monitor set to never turn off, so when the computer goes to sleep the screen goes blank but when I try to wake it a signal does not go out to the monitor or something.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been told it's an energy compliant issue. You can run into problems if perepherals or accessories are not energy compliant or are simply not functioning quite right. If your comp is fairly new you should be able to choose between standby and hibernation. A machine is more likely to come out of hibernation than standby, and data won't be lost in the event of a power failure or rolling blackout. The only downside is that it takes a bit longer to put your machine in and out of hibernation because you have to wait for data to be transferred to and from the hard drive. Still, it's a lot faster than a standard shutdown and start up. To set power management in Windows, go to the Settings menu, select Control Panel and click on Power Options. Depending on your machine, you might or might not see a tab for hibernation. If you do, that's your best option. Otherwise, experiment with the standby options. Hope this helps. I'm assuming your running some form of windows.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got the monitor set to never turn off, so when the computer goes to sleep the screen goes blank but when I try to wake it a signal does not go out to the monitor or something.
Bill3508
View Quote

Is your screen saver set to "none"?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running Win 98se but I don't have anything but standby listed in the power settings.  I got the comp in 2000, so its not too old yet.  I set my screen saver to none a few minutes ago so we'll have to see if that helps.
Thanks  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top