Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 2:31:41 PM EDT
I just read in the local paper that our very concerned govt wnats to raise the tax another .69 to 1.00 per pack, of course I'm sure this will stop underage smoking and make everyone that smokes quite.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
so whats the averagre price of smokes now anyway?

course i think this is still just a bunch of crap anyway. u want to smoke and we all know its bad for you so go ahead its your life
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They are about 3.00  to 4.00 a pack. They know it is very hard to quite so they'll just keep taxing them knowing that smokers will keep buying them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
What I want to know is, if they finally "succeed" in getting everyone to stop smoking:

1) What are they going to do about the lost revenue? (Think about it - fewer people are smoking, they [i]have[/i] to raise the taxes to maintain the income stream!  Talk about killing the goose!  In this case they're strangling it slowly.)

2) Are they going to subsidize (more than they already do) the tobacco farmers who can't sell their worthless crops except out of the country?  Where does [i]that[/i] money come from?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Only a small percentage will quit (barring them charging $20 a pack) so I think it's just a squeeze to see how much they can get away with ... $5.77 here in Sammamish, WA
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What I want to know is, if they finally "succeed" in getting everyone to stop smoking:

1) What are they going to do about the lost revenue? (Think about it - fewer people are smoking, they [i]have[/i] to raise the taxes to maintain the income stream!  Talk about killing the goose!  In this case they're strangling it slowly.)
View Quote

Can you say "Bullet Tax"! Or how about "Twinkie Tax"! Or they can always raise the Beer Tax.

To all those who advocate increasing the cigarette tax...fair is fair!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BEER TAX!!!!!
OH HELL NO!!!
Thats where i go to armed insurrection!! [:D]
View Quote

Sorry guy!  It's needed for the children!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#10]
they keep raising the tax to make up for lost revenue.
they want to make more of it up with the twinkie/moon pie tax.

it's for the...oh, never mind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
A neighbor of mine was bitching about how she got some at a duty-free for $10, but has to pay $40 here at CostCo.

The_Beer_Slayer, just learn to brew your own.  It's easy to do, and is a lot cheaper than store-bought no matter how good you make it (unless you go off the deep end and buy an all-stainless equipment ensemble).
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
they want to make more of it up with the twinkie/moon pie tax.
View Quote

Twinkie tax? Never happen. Cops would be rioting in protest all over the country..[}:)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a Klinton thing. They raised taxes over and over the tobacco companies raised their price to offset the 368 billion dollar settlement that they agreed on (to take care of sick smokers and spare our dirt poor government the cost). Then the states mostly have a big brouhaha over what they are going to do with their share of the money. Meanwhile back at the ranch think about this- If tobacco is forced out of biz where will the rest of the settlement money come from? Laid off cig workers will draw bens off the gov too. Now fot the final question- If smoking and all tobacco use is in fact abolished and everyone starts living to be 103, just exactly who in the hell is going to pay for their health care medicare medicaid etc?  If everyone lives forever our country will go broke think about it
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
While I personally think smoking is the dumbest thing anyone can do, a can of Bugle cigarette tobacco and a pack of rolling papers is still pretty damn cheap last time I was at the drug store.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top