Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2002 11:30:49 AM EDT
Just when 'ya thought stuff could not get any stranger...

The FBI is now investigating a man who called himself a Army Captain and looked through a briefcase and laptop computer belonging to a victim of last month's deadly interstate bridge collapes.

The man wearing fatigues and a beret, SHOWED UP WITHIN TWO HOURS of the Interstate 40 collapes and told the mayor he was in charge. He identified himself as Capt. William Clark (Let me get this strait His name was Mr. Clark like in the Tom Clancy Novels...Right, Ok.).

Mayor Jewell Horne said Wednesday the man told her army Capt. Andrew Clements had died in the river and that his brief case and laptop were in the water.( Ok now call me silly, But 120 minutes after the bridge goes down, How would this guy know 1.) That this Capt. Clements had in fact been involved? 2.) That Capt. Clements was in fact dead before any search for survivors had taken place?)

a fisherman found both the briefcase and the Laptop computer case (Hmmmm must have been the expensive high security airtight, kinda laptop case?) The day of the collapes and gave them to a Webbers Falls police officer.

The Officer gave the Items to the Mystery Capt. (Officer should be looking for a new job, but in that part of Oklahoma he is probably the chiefs brother.)who took the items and went through them.

Later that day the Mystery Capt brought both items to Webbers Falls City Hall where he asked the Mayor to lock them in a safe. The man stated that he wanted the key to the safe, but Mayor Horne said she refused to give it to him.

"He kept trying to say that he was in charge." Horne said. "I finaly looked at him and said No you're not. Until the Governor declares martial law, your not in charge in this town."

The Mystery Capt. was in Webbers Falls two days then left.

Tulsa medical examiners eventualy called authorities to check on the Mystery Capt.

The FBI, The Army and police in Van Buren and Fort Smith, Ark., are looking for the man, said FBI Spokesman Gary Johnson.

Van Buren Ark, Police report the mystery Capt rented 8 rooms at a super8 motel, hung do not disturb signs on 7 of the doors and stayed in the 8th room for two days.

NOW THIS IS SOME WEIRD STUFF GUYS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any aluminum foil in the house?  Good, of course [i]you[/i] do; go get it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The man wearing fatigues and a beret, SHOWED UP WITHIN TWO HOURS of the Interstate 40 collapes and told the mayor he was in charge. He identified himself as Capt. William Clark (Let me get this strait His name was Mr. Clark like in the Tom Clancy Novels...Right, Ok.).
View Quote

You are thinking of John Clark in the Clancy book. Think instead of CPT William Clark of the US Army who too a little canoe trip with a guy named Lewis a while back.  If it is a cover name it is a morbidly funny one since this trip also involved river traffic and he was on an exploratory mission. Also, if he was a fake in reality and/or name, why on earth would he stick around two days and make certain the items were properly secured? "Curiouser and curiouser." said Alice.

NOW THIS IS SOME WEIRD STUFF GUYS.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
All that was culled from a AP story, it was shortened slightly to get in under the 3200 character limit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top