Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2011 2:19:47 PM EDT

Freaking Oldsmobile.  That right, not the shitty late nineties models but the early eighties giant boat of cars that had small block V8's in them, the Delta 88's the fucking Cutlass, and the 98 Royals.  What the fuck happened to the mid level sedans that were made for the old people that didn't want or couldn't afford a Lincoln or a Cadillac.  Now all you have is shit or Luxury when it comes to fucking cars and trucks.  Speaking of trucks, why the fuck can't they put the God damn triangle vent window in them any more?  And what ever happened to the fucking foot peddle bright switch that the old Fords had on them?  And why in the holy blue moon are trucks designed for suburban soccer moms?  

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
New Oldsmobiles are in early this year
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Pier One Imports...

Yeah.

This place has got everything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]

They were built in my home town.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pier One Imports...  

Yeah.

This place has got everything.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man  
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I miss the big cushy seats, the smooth like glass ride and 305 and 350 V8 motors that had fucking power, the push button radios, wood trim and analog clock in the dash.  I miss the trunks that you could put Marylin Monroe's wardrobe in along with a full sized spare, tool kit, and the equipment for the 1978 Detroit Redwings hockey team.  They sure don't make cars like that anymore.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My first car was a Delmont 88
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
All you young kids these days don't know the awesomeness of a big sedan like the Delta 88, or a 1983 Cutlas 2 door.  Where maintenance was going to a junk yard and pulling a part, where rebuilding an engine would only be a few hundred bucks and an afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All you young kids these days don't know the awesomeness of a big sedan like the Delta 88, or a 1983 Cutlas 2 door.  Where maintenance was going to a junk yard and pulling a part, where rebuilding an engine would only be a few hundred bucks and an afternoon.

My grandma had a '93 Roadmaster.  That was "big" and I don't mean "2000s Impala big"
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a voltswagon bug pos in college. I got a '73 olds delta 88 after that, a little old lady only drove it to church or something.

In 3 months I had gotten enough speeding tickets that I had to take one of those classes to keep my license.  I was not used to all those hamsters under the hood!

The trunk was big enough to hold a square dance! It had emissions problems though, I think something was bypassed but I don't remember. It barely got 10 mpg when I got rid of it. Someone drove it for years after that somehow. I know cause it was back when the records were not centralized and I kept getting stuff in the mail.

I had used it as a trade in thinking it would be junked. I couldn't believe someone sold it and someone else bought it! It was in pretty bad shape when I got rid of it. There was a leak and water would accumulate in teh back seat. When I put on the brakes it would flow to the front.  I think I drilled a drain hole.

It was like driving the battlestar galactica.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Cutlass but then I bought a Trans Am and stuck with firechickens for almost thirty years. I'll miss Pontiac but not too much, I'm driving a Vette now.

I would have loved to see a new Pontiac F-body.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had a voltswagon bug pos in college. I got a '73 olds delta 88 after that, a little old lady only drove it to church or something.

In 3 months I had gotten enough speeding tickets that I had to take one of those classes to keep my license.  I was not used to all those hamsters under the hood!

The trunk was big enough to hold a square dance! It had emissions problems though, I think something was bypassed but I don't remember. It barely got 10 mpg when I got rid of it. Someone drove it for years after that somehow. I know cause it was back when the records were not centralized and I kept getting stuff in the mail.

I had used it as a trade in thinking it would be junked. I couldn't believe someone sold it and someone else bought it! It was in pretty bad shape when I got rid of it. There was a leak and water would accumulate in teh back seat. When I put on the brakes it would flow to the front.  I think I drilled a drain hole.

It was like driving the battlestar galactica.

Hell yeah, fast comfort, and practicality.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Do too!  Ok.  Maybe not an Olds.  But it has suicide doors, bro.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't afford a car like that when I was in High School.  That is a great looking car though, don't make then like that any longer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't afford a car like that when I was in High School.  That is a great looking car though, don't make then like that any longer.

Me either, man.  But almost 10 years later, it was worth the wait.  You're right.  They don't make em like that anymore.  I'm with you, man.  I love those big old sedans.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Freaking Oldsmobile. That right, not the shitty late nineties models but the early eighties giant boat of cars that had small block V8's in them, the Delta 88's the fucking Cutlass, and the 98 Royals. What the fuck happened to the mid level sedans that were made for the old people that didn't want or couldn't afford a Lincoln or a Cadillac. Now all you have is shit or Luxury when it comes to fucking cars and trucks. Speaking of trucks, why the fuck can't they put the God damn triangle vent window in them any more? And what ever happened to the fucking foot peddle bright switch that the old Fords had on them? And why in the holy blue moon are trucks designed for suburban soccer moms?

And here I thought you were gonna say "young pussy."

That's what I miss anyway.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]

I wished I had been old enough (and rich enough) back in the days of the original Olds Toronado.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wished I had been old enough (and rich enough) back in the days of the original Olds Toronado.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz179/rabei314/Toronado/toronado232.jpg

Front Wheel Drive V-8 Goodness
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I miss the big cushy seats, the smooth like glass ride and 305 and 350 V8 motors that had fucking power, the push button radios, wood trim and analog clock in the dash.  I miss the trunks that you could put Marylin Monroe's wardrobe in along with a full sized spare, tool kit, and the equipment for the 1978 Detroit Redwings hockey team.  They sure don't make cars like that anymore.

like this?

98 Olds 88 auctioned
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

like this?
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/IA0711/IA0711-112490/images/IA0711-112490_7.jpg?lastmod=071611125021

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/IA0711/IA0711-112490/images/IA0711-112490_8.jpg?

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/IA0711/IA0711-112490/images/IA0711-112490_1.jpg?

98 Olds 88 auctioned

Hell yes.  I would be proud to own that car.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I also miss Sears brand radios, they would last forever and sound great.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Ted Williams .22 rifles in the Sears sporting goods department
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]
My father only bought Oldsmobiles.  I grew up riding around in Delta 88's.  My first car(at age 26) was an Olds Alero, bought the year GM announced they were shutting down Oldsmobile.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmmm, never a make that spoke to me in any way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#28]
'70 Cutlass

Mine was powder blue.  I had a lot of fun in that car.

Jane
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was a teenager up till my mid twenties this was my car of choice. I owned 7 or 8 of them over the years. Great cars.

Rocket 350's or 455's, rally wheels with G/T Qualifiers, bucket seats and floor shifters, those were the days.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top