Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2001 5:41:28 PM EDT
I discovered I have "bats in the belfry" hahaha  actually the attic.  I know where they're gettin' in. But besides NOW having a use for my M4, Surfire Tac-Lite, and Ceiner conversion (with shotshells of course!!), [sniper] I have a concern.
My big question is if they like to chew on wires.  I'm in the boonies and the place is wired with Romex.

HELP!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, here is a simple step by step plan to getting rid of them:

1. Go find a "Yellow Pages"

2. Open it

3. Look for "Exterminator"

4. Pick one out

5. Look for a phone number in your local area

6. Go to a phone

7. Dial that number

8. Tell that guy to come and kill your bats

9. Get out your credit card - (probably)

10. Hang up the phone

11. Wait for there arrival

Good thing i'm not a smart ass!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Gee. I thought you were going to ask about my Louisville Slugger. [:(]

Would high frequency noises drive/keep them away? Kinda' like those electronic spider scare-er away devices.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
i've got a better idea.

find the number to your local dept of natural resources (or whatever they're called in your state) and ask them what to do.

bats are really helpful creatures.  my guess is that they won't be chewing on the wires.  since i don't know where you live, i can't say for sure, but chances are good that whatever species took up residence in your attic is insect-eating.  i don't think they're interested in wires.

you'd could also call animal control (not the same thing as an exterminator) and if they're decent they'll help you out or at least direct you on who to call next.

one more thing to note:  again, can't say for sure because i don't know where you're from, but they might be listed as endangered species.  so even the exterminator couldn't kill them, i don't think.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Some bat species are protected, so you might have to move out.[:D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
GUNNUT has bats in the belfry. that explains ANTI GUNNER, it's his alter ego[}:D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep your distance.  Some bats carry rabies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Some bats have lethel feces and carry Rabies and believed to carry Ebola. Note no contact with the bat is necessary only to inhale the vaporized feces. I have also heard that bats in high concentrations and confined spaces such as caves can cause nearly instant death from chemicals in their fecies.  I forget what actually caused the death but do remember it was quick and no antidote was known.  

Don't get to freeked though most of this stuff other than rabies has not been found in the states. But I don't think I would like to see hundreds of them in the attic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to live in the country and had bats by the bazillion living mostly under the shakes in the roof and on rare occasions one would get in the house. They are so quiet that if you are not around them all the time you usually don't even know they are there. I killed a couple at 1st and then one evening around dusk (while getting mellow), I was watching them silently launch into the night and I had a life changing experience. "Live and let live"! They are actually pretty cool animals, never did any damage and we learned to live in harmony.

Save the bats!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
In the first place, F'Goshsake, don't tell the environmental people, you know know, they really might move your behind out if they are endangered.

When they're all out at night, plug the hole. They don't chew wires, and if you want to hang a bat house(no joke) on a tree in the backyard, they'll keep the bugs down(check a birdwatcher's store). Otherwise, just wait till they leave and plug the hole or what ever if that's possible. They'll go out at night for bugs. They're harmless for the most part, and eat thousands of mosquitoes every month.

DON'T handle them if at all possible, rabies is a real concern. I once had three bats hanging onto my index finger(mama and twin babies), stupid, stupid, stupid. She could have bitten me, I saw the teeth, look like tiny chisels.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
rabies is NOT a major concern for the majority of the bats in the STATES.  

likewise, you can wait till they leave and then plug the hole.  a bat house is actually a good idea.  they're natural bug zappers.

and Getsome has some sage advice.  pay attention to it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Note no contact with the bat is necessary only to inhale the vaporized feces. I forget what actually caused the death but do remember it was quick and no antidote was known.  
View Quote

Histoplasmosis, a fungal disease.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
If you choose to go the shoot'em route then this is how. Use a pump of semi auto shotgun with about 7 1/2 shot or finer. shoot at the flying rat and immediatly shoot again. The first shot will almost always miss but the bat will charge at the wad. The follow up shot will almost always kill the bat. Try to make them move out first, please.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everybody....this board is truly a "cesspool of knowledge"!  Let's see......ebola, endangered species, rabies, gee, I feel great now. [>(]  I live in central IL, in a rural area.  I heard some noise in the soffet above the kitchen tonight, so I went up figuring I'd find a sparrow.  NOT!!  I nailed one, but then realized there was at least one more.....he was buzzin' around.  I also figured I'd quit before I fell through the rafters and landed in the livingroom....M4 in hand.

Being an aviation type myself, I don't like to shoot at anything that has better radar than me.  I'm fine with them.....just don't want to worry about chewin' my Romex and burning the house down.

I like the bathouse idea......need one for the hummingbirds too.

BTW these are little buggers, body about 3" wingspan about 7".
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Brown bats.

[url]http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/pub/surveyreports/nov-dec99/lbbat.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I like bats and personally would let them be.  But since you dont...

Go into their roost with a shotgun loaded with blanks.  The noise will ruin their sensitive ears, which they depend on to hunt and navigate in the dark.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#16]
One word: FLAMETHROWER.  I suggest short, controled bursts. [pyro]

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, It is strange that this thread came up. I was just getting done getting a bat out of the living room. He was just flying around , having a good old time. I opened the door and he eventually flew out. Bet he got a shock because it is kind of cold here in Ia. No, bats don't chew on wires and are mostly harmless and eat a lot of flying bugs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]
For almost 40 years my Grandfathers attic has been home to a few neighborhood bats. The only real problem is about once a year usually in the spring someone will leave the attic door ajar. Then we will have a visitor in the living room while watching TV, it got to be kinda funny actually. Just keep you attic door closed and they won't bother you. I would go ion the attic all the time and never even saw them, but they were there. They keep the bugs down in the summer so try not to wipe them out. I'd take bats over mosquitos any day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks everybody....this board is truly a "cesspool of knowledge
View Quote

Congratulations gunnut,
You just discovered what it has taken some people years to discover. Oppinions are like assholes...everybody has one!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The house we used to live in had bats in the attic. I was told to wait until after the bats have left for the night to eat and block the entrance to prevent their return. It didn't work. They had another entrance. Just at dusk, they would come out of aa single hole in great numbers. It would remind me of the old war cartoons of the airplanes zipping out of the hanger. I just learned to live with them, no harm done. We now have millions of them living in an old mine shaft about a mile from the house. We dont't have much of a bug problem in town.

Fred
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I have this problem every year find out where they are geting in at and hang a icecream pail 3/4 full of water there bugs will be drawn to the water and when the bat goes to eat the bugs as soon as it gets water on its wings it cant fly and it drownds I live in northren wi and we have lots of bats dont go blowing your home to hell over a few bats
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW! NEAT, HEARD TASTE LIKE CHICKEN
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Tennis anyone?   [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#25]
"Fortunately, I happen to know a little about bat anatomy."
 --- The Professor on Gilligan's Island
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Wire a light in your attic and leave it on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#27]
"Fortunately, I happen to know a litte about bat anatomy."
---The Professor on Gilligan's Island  

LEAD POISON
View Quote

"Where did you go to...Batman U?"
---The Skipper on Gilligan's Island

-RoadDog
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if one of those high frequency rodent away machines would work? The kind you plug in, might drive em nuts?

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#29]
A little caulk and some diligence should do the trick. There is really no need to harm them. We have a bat house on the side of ours and I find them to be quite helpful. I wouldn't want them in my attic, though. We've had them in the house when we were caulking and staining,etc. We disturbed their living quarters. A fishnet works great to catch them and I only killed one in the process.
 If a bat bites you try to bring it in to your doctors office. Though rabies is pretty rare in this country they are to be assumed to be infected unless proven otherwise. That results in rabies vaccinations, Immunglobulin(antibodies) injected locally and in the buttock. Tetanus status should be updated and there is always risk of infection.
  I wouldn't recommen killing them in your attic. Could get quite smelly.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh, as to the original question(duh): They are not likely to chew on wires. Unlike rodents-which they are not-they will not gnaw. Just look at their teeth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I would not bother it. Bats are legal to bit ATF if he goes in the attic to looking for your guns. Just tell them that u might have hide some in the attic. I have 3 or 4 of it at the house.
Also I love hornet nest too, At night I push a long rod thur the nest and running a line across ground 3"  above to keep Trespass off my land.  ( make sure u have post No Trespass only) It legal too.
PS. Put on bees veil before you do this.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Get what you need to patch the hole. Then make a very loud noise,keep doing it till they leave. Then patch the hole.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks again everybody...I've learned a few things...

1.  Bats are harmless (except if they carry
   ebola.)
2.  They're helpful in keeping down the insect
   population.
3.  Some people know far too much about
   specific Gilligan's Island reruns.

(I think I'm less afraid of ebola!)

Seriously, I appreciate the help.  I feel bad I nailed that one little bugger now.  As long as they don't chew (dr jarhead, how EXACTLY do I examine their teeth??) I'm OK with them.  We're not talking hundreds here, just a few.  They're still kinda creepy though.  Then again, they probably feel the same about me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#35]
just nuke the bastards
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#36]
[b]Hocus.................a pocus.............

"I am a bat"

Abra-Cadabra..........

"I am an Umpire"

"You wouldn't hit a bat with glasses on.....would you?

Whack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

---------from the Bugs Bunny show where a vampire wanted to have Bugs for dinner.

Bats are very helpful........co-exist with them unless you really love mosquitos
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#37]
They stay crunchy...even in milk
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
If they get in your hair, they will lay their eggs and you will go crazy. [:X*]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Glad to help a fellow AR15 member with bat questions and some trivia Gilligan's Island lines. [;)]

-RoadDog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top