Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 12:54:18 PM EDT
Working for a national retail chain, we see LOTS of wierd things, but I thought this was especially weird.

The city of Inglewood CA and Southern California Edison (SCE) want to control your thermostat.

[size=4]Here's what you get[/size=4]

You'll receive up to $300 at the end of 2002 for participating in the program.

You'll also get energy savings.

[size=4]Here's how it works:[/size=4]

You operate your business at the air conditioning setting you typically use, which will be preprogrammed in. At various times during the test period (weekday afternoons during the months of May thru October 2002) SCE will remotely raise your thermostat setting for up to a four hour period. If you choose to, you can override the change, but you'll forfeit $5 of the $300 savings you entitled to earn, each time tou override the setting.

Whadda ya think? Worth it?? Big brother messing where he don't belong???

Bail out program for Gray Davis (since he created the energy mess????

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a Davis plan, just a shitty one.

THere was one on my residential AC when I moved in.

I had it removed.  THink about how much you'd pay to use your AC on the hottest part of the hottest day of the year.

THey offer you $5 to sweat.

It was no big deal for a few years, you get the credit whether or not they cycle your thermo, but the first time I couldn't use MY a/c, I had them out the next day to rip it out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
We have that on our house.  Will have to ask my mom how much she saves...I am fairly certain its more than $5.

Until the last year or two they rarely used it.  Its not to bad where we live though, just turn on some fans and open the doors...I'm sure people in the Valley or some other hot place would never do it though...

They can do it no more than 2 or 3 (its probably 4) times a year I think and I think its also for an hour.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
See, there it is again!  The SCSV (So. Calif. Stupid Virus) or the very similar CSV.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
See, there it is again!  The SCSV (So. Calif. Stupid Virus) or the very similar CSV.
View Quote

Maybe so, but hopefully Wa. & Or. residents electric bills won't go up everytime that we give power to Ca. However unlikely that is [:(]

Jamie
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
How is this very different from the "load control" that's been around for over 15 years?  garandman, you're probably on Duke Power, and for many years, I got a nice discount for having them hook-up load control to my hot water heater and heat pump.  I have an oversized hot water heater and I don't use my air much, so it didn't affect me, but I think I saved about 30% off of my bill!  Well, that was until the program ended, because of customer complaints.  The people that voluntarily signed-up for the discount complained to the state PUC that their air sometimes cut-off.  Well, duh.z
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe so, but hopefully Wa. & Or. residents electric bills won't go up everytime that we give power to Ca. However unlikely that is [:(]

Jamie
View Quote

IIRC, didn't CA try to [u]force[/u] some of the NW utils to supply power for them, even though we had no surplus?  I'm pretty sure I don't really want to know how all this works, but based on past experience with WA Util Comm, we're gonna get the short end of the deal!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont get it...
CA will not bother the rare tadpole that lives in a proposed Eletric Plant Site..

But people will fight over the chance to get in these "programs" ..

Guess what? when its freaking hot outside, that when I [b]want[/b] the aircon on.
Some days I work to damn hard to give a carp about saving 10% on a bill.. why pay the damn thing if when its really needed ... you give it up/cant have it  ?  

The other thing that bothers me is ...:

Hey if you wish to join ... good for you..  your bill ypur choice... your home ... have at it..

But pretty soon some shity new college grad will say..:

Hey look how good this "program" worked.. people even stood in line to get in.

I think its time for (_____ fill in your state here ____ )
to jump on this band wagon..

They will even come up with a cool slogan to convert the "non-belivers"

-------- point to this post?------------ no idea..

And CA stop crying about Enron selling elec. to other states.. then having the CA power company buy it from that state at a higher price...  its called "making a profit"  

dont like it, change your shitty laws..

there its off my chest...

[;)]

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, got more info.  $6 up to 5 times a month I believe...

We've had it on the house for 15 maybe as much as 20+ years (so its nothing new).  It was nice since I was at school and my mom/dad were at work so we didn't feel anything.

Now my mom is retired and its only been once or twice they did it when my mom would have preferred a/c.  Overall its fairly cool where I'm at in Orange County.  Or at least it is to us...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#11]
You know,you people live there. How does crap like this get by you people? Doesn't anybody vote there? Why do you keep morons who make these policies in power? Only in Commiefornia! I guess you deserve it for allowing this crap to go on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
"Inglewood always up to no good!"

Sorry, just had to say that on B-O-G's behalf. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top