Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2002 11:58:52 AM EDT
I'm going to New England 4 July for a mini-shootin' fest, and I'd rather not fly with firearms (Which I've done many times before, but these are different times. Remember - "you can't fly with FIRE!!!!!!" Source: Treetop [}:D]  )
)

besides, if the airlines loses them (which in my last four flights, they've lost at least one piece of checked luggage three times) I'm up a crick for my shootin' fest.

So.....

I beleive I could mail the firearms to myself, care of a good friend of mine at his mailing address.

Anyone know the legality of this?? Ever done it?? Do the post office folks wig out? Do you declare what you are shipping???

Thanks.

Anyone interested in joining us from the Southern new England area, e-mail me. I'll have to get permission first. Its NOT my land.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly legal. You're not transferring it, and it's ownership isn't changing hands. Same reason why you can box up and FedEx a gun to a gunsmith; it's still yours, all he/she is doing is working on it.

However, that being said, I'd disassemble the weapon somewhat before boxing and shipping, just in case :) I had my father ship me my AR when I went out to Minnesota for a couple weeks, a while ago. Seperated it into upper and lower, boxed it up, and FedEx was more than happy to drop it off at my office. (I won't describe the looks on my officemate's faces when I opened the box to check it's contents, but anyway.)

Depending on the rifle, it'd be best to do that, simply so that if some dork X-Rays the thing looking for drugs, explosives, Usama, or a boxcutter...it won't explicitly and immeadiatly look like a rifle.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can mail a rifle or shotgun to your self.  Handguns can only be mailed by dealers. Since you are shipping to a nonlicensee, you must declare that the package contains a firearm.  Do not, however, put any marking on the box indicating that.

See the link.

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b10[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Perfectly legal.
View Quote

I get kinda worried when accepting legal advice from a guy named "evil Ed"..... [:D]

j/k  thanks for the heads up.

You too EOD.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, I was never convicted!

It wasn't MY fault he fell down the stairs!...4 times....

[:D]

Ed
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top