Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 11:41:13 AM EDT
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=573&e=2&u=/nm/20020605/od_nm/florida_dc_1[/url]
Oddly Enough - Reuters
[b]"I'm Not a President, but I Play One on TV..."[/b]

[i]Wed Jun 5,11:19 AM ET[/i]

MIAMI (Reuters) - The actor who plays the U.S. president on "The West Wing" television show will lend some star power to Janet Reno's campaign to unseat Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, whose own campaign is getting a little help from the real U.S. president.

Actor Martin Sheen will join the former U.S. attorney general for three days of campaigning and fund-raising in West Palm Beach, Miami, Tampa and Orlando starting on Friday, Reno's campaign spokeswoman said on Tuesday.

Sheen plays President Josiah Bartlet on NBC's Emmy Award-winning White House drama "The West Wing" and has been a longtime supporter of Democratic candidates.

"This is what you have to do when you can't get a real president for your campaign," Jeb Bush's campaign spokesman Todd Harris said, calling U.S. President George. W. Bush an "invaluable" asset to his brother's campaign.

Polls show Reno leading the race to become Florida's Democratic gubernatorial candidate. If she wins the September primary she will face the popular Republican incumbent in the November general election.

The governor has gotten some high-wattage help from the president, who has appeared at several fund-raisers in recent months for the governor and for the Florida Republican Party.

"The fact that Janet Reno is being supported by the Hollywood liberal elite should not come as a surprise to anyone who has studied her record," Harris said.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020608/capt.1023564158.reno_sheen_fad103.jpg[/img]
Actor/activist Martin Sheen, right, talks to supporters of Florida gubernatorial candidate Janet Reno, left, at a fund-raiser, Friday, June 7, 2002, in Coral Gables, Fla. Analysts said the event is a needed boost for Reno's campaign, which lags far behind Gov. Jeb Bush in fund-raising and has trailed in early polling. Through early April, Reno had raised more than $1 million while Bush had taken in $4.38 million. Sheen, who plays President Josiah Bartlet on NBC's ``The West Wing,'' was opening a weekend of campaigning for Reno on Friday, lending celebrity clout to her race for Florida governor. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/020608/168/1ny07.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep Janet Reno the hell out of my state!

Also reminds me of my e-mail sig:
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
He was also a syco killer in badlands...

Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top