Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 11:13:00 PM EDT
Ok heres the story the other day I go down to the employment dept. to putin a job application the first thing they do is ask for my SSN to see if im registerd on thier system. ok so I read it off and the guy asks me if my name is Juan! (its not) I said no and hand him my SS card he photo copyed it and said they would look into it. what else should I do?

This really pisses me off! I was upset about the whole illegal immigrant thing befor but now im real pissed maby the 9/11 attacks with give the border patrol the money it needs hell If I had any extra money right now Id donate!

hmmm...
OregonShooter
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to do a quick check of your credit report.  No tellin' what else Juan has been doing with your SSN.

[url]www.equifax.com[/url]

Click on "consumer services".  You can order your report for nine bucks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably more than 1 "Juan". KNBC did a week long report on fake drivers licenses and other forms of phony identification. They are so easy to get and the quality is almost fool proof. The only hang up is the magnetic strip on the back, but that won't be a problem much longer. Holograms, electronic keys and everything for very little money and the same day. What sucks is that due to "politically correct" governmental pressure, these offenses were punished with a slap on the wrist. Now after 9-11, not anymore.

Usually it's harder to crack into the SSN info. It requires some trash digging. Old bills and such, but they can also get it from stealing from the post office before it ever reaches your home. So in the future, buy a letter shredder and never give out your SS number to anyone over the phone or on the internet without security measures.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
That is not surprising. I used to work on the retirement computer system of a large corporation. When the system was written, it assumed that the SSN was unique and was used as the key. A few years ago, the dup SSNs were starting to showing up in the system, which goofed up the system royally. Now we have modified the systme to include the SSN/Last name/first name as the key to get around the dup SSNs.

Good luck in tracking down this Juan fellow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was but a youngin' in college, some woman used my SSN and address to obtain a student loan. After the woman got the money, she split and I started receiving payment stubs from Citibank. I had to get a lawyer to straighten it out. Took 3 years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]
i had the same kinda crap happen when i was at the DMV guy askes me if i had ever been in new mexico im like "no why do u ask" never did find out what that was about
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You might want to do a quick check of your credit report.  No tellin' what else Juan has been doing with your SSN.

[url]www.equifax.com[/url]

Click on "consumer services".  You can order your report for nine bucks.
View Quote

Johnny R., is right on target with his advice.  Now after you review your credit report you may want to take another step but you won't know that until you review your credit report.

Probably you should also contact the Social Security Administration too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I think we should ALL send our extra AMMO to the border patrol......they dont seem to have any...budget deficits and all.......just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Same thing happened to me when I first moved out and tried to get a phone in my name. I was told that I (Enrico Something) already had a phone and owed $250 before I could get another one. Took a while to get that straightened out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, if you know you have a problem (and you do), I would suggest not only getting an   Equifax report, but also Trans-union and Experian (formerly TRW).
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually, if you know you have a problem (and you do), I would suggest not only getting an   Equifax report, but also Trans-union and Experian (formerly TRW).
View Quote

Good idea as often the information is different between the big three.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok heres the story the other day I go down to the employment dept. to putin a job application the first thing they do is ask for my SSN to see if im registerd on thier system. ok so I read it off and the guy asks me if my name is Juan! (its not) I said no and hand him my SS card he photo copyed it and said they would look into it. what else should I do?
View Quote

Did you give goatboy your SS# when you signed up? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's another option for a credit report:

[url]http://www.eloan.com/s/show/checkcredit?linksrc=toolscredit&sid=u7FDL09CQfIjKVM2C1DbQJ5V2cQ[/url]

The single credit reports are $9.95 unless you sign up for a full year for $79.95.  There is no charge for just the credit score, though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#13]
its hunting time....
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think we should ALL send our extra AMMO to the border patrol......they dont seem to have any...budget deficits and all.......just a thought.
View Quote

Forget money, send ammo!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Call all of the credit reporting agencies and put a fraud alert on your accounts. This is done so no one can issue credit without contacting you. I had to do this last year, it also is supposed to stop all preapproved credit card applications from being sent out. It has stopped most of them but now my wife gets them now, time to put one on her name.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel there is nothing employer can do also.
We have to ask for the number, but it¡¦s not necessary for us to see the card. Some that I do see are typed and not the usual printed via dot matrix printer.
I get a whole stack of paperwork from SSA requesting verification of SSN and names each year. With a warning that I cannot fire the person because of etc...

Funniest thing is that when the person they stole the SSN from, owed tax money. Than I HAVE to deduct their paycheck and send it to IRS.

If they have better "connection" they comeback the next day with a NEW card with a NEW SSN.

I guess the government is just interested in collecting tax money.

Edited..
Speaking of identity theft.
Halfway during my naturalization process I found out my A# was taken by a person called Mona.
Of course I have to pay to get it straighten out.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i had the same kinda crap happen when i was at the DMV guy askes me if i had ever been in new mexico im like "no why do u ask" never did find out what that was about
View Quote

Maybe he wanted to know if you qualified for a Handicapped Parking Permit?

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you spoken to Goatboy about this?  

Edited to add:  I believe he (and the rest of the Avila's for that matter)are here legally. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top