Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2002 10:31:23 PM EDT
I think Ike was OK, maybe Patton also. Sherman definitely kicked ass.

[;)]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think Ike was OK, maybe Patton also. Sherman definitely kicked ass.

[;)]

View Quote

Ike was a class act.  
Patton traded lives for personal glory.  
Sherman lit the whole stage on fire! (Atlanta too)
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
MacArthur was CooL
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What about ole stormin Norman.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
MacArthur was CooL
View Quote

MacArthur was a jackass!  He always had his eye open for self-promotion which always seemed to be the larger goal in his mind.  Some of his greater screw-ups in my opinion:

a) Let his Air Force in the Philippines be destroyed on the ground despite having just seen the exact thing happen in Pearl the day previously.  Short and Kimmel were relieved of duty for the same "offense".  

b) Allowed the US Army forces in Japan to let their fighting skills degrade to nearly zero.  When put in front of the North Korean army, they were outfought and pushed back to the Pusan peninsula.

c) Troops home by Christmas?  I don't think so.

d) The Chinese won't enter the war?  Oops.  My bad.

e) Failing to understand his position in the chain-of-command in relation to the Commander-in-Chief.

I'll credit him with Inchon and a solid island-hopping strategy against the Japanese, but on the whole, I'd rather have an Ike.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Custer would get my vote for "Most outstanding failure to heed local intel." Personally, my favorite is Franks, 'cause I served under him when he was "only" a Colonel.....he's a damn good guy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Custer would get my vote for "Most outstanding failure to heed local intel."
View Quote

LMAO  Concur

Personally, my favorite is Franks, 'cause I served under him when he was "only" a Colonel.....he's a damn good guy.
View Quote

Yep, he is a pretty good man.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
MacArthur was a jackass!
View Quote

Be nice to the guy.  He said cool.  He didn't claim MacArthur wasn't a blubbering idiot.  I still think that if he hadn't pushed past the 38th parallel, demanded the surrender of North Korea, and threatened China, my life would have been very different.  I think the war would have been over in three months rather than three painful years.z
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Henry H. (Hap) Arnold
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top