Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2002 6:03:30 PM EDT
Ended up with a some battery acid all over my left hand today. :-/

Thank god for baking soda.

Ouch....

I'm not even going to explain this one, just figured some of you might get a laugh out of it...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ouch!!!
Is it deep?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ouch!!!
Is it deep?
View Quote

Deep enough to hurt.. I'll be using my right hand for awhile (if you get my drift..lol)
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not even going to explain this one, just figured some of you might get a laugh out of it...
View Quote

hmm...  I laughed anyway [:d]so there...
whats the story....?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you saw the doctor.
If the skin scars wrong it could screw up your range of motion.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ouch....

View Quote

If you really want to give us something to laugh about.................EXPLAIN  [:D]

ComputerGuy, Good thing for bad luck, if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck. [;)]

Jamie
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ouch....

View Quote

I feel your pain, literally. Once had a battery on a tractor blow up, got battery acid on my face around my eyes, not in them thanks to my glasses, and in my nose. That hurt... fullclip
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Must of been trying to clean the toilet seat?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If you heat battery acid it will let off white fumes. They look neat if you light them with a match.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ouch....
figured some of you might get a laugh out of it...
View Quote

Got any pics ?? [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
How in the world do you hurt yourself so much? Do me a favor. If I'm ever at the range and I don't notice you, please let me know so that I can get a safe distance away. [BD]

I'm accident prone, but I usually just get hurt badly once a year. It seems like it's a weekly thing for you. I hope you've got good insurance.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Now tell us, ComputerGuy, what exactly were you going to do to those peacocks???
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
OK, guys, gather round... As someone who works with dangerous chemicals on a daily basis, let me explain this to you.

Do NOT waste time trying to figure out if the chemical is acid or base (caustic).  Get to running water, and rinse, rinse, rinse.  After that, rinse some more.  

If someone gets acid (or whatever) in his eyes, he may have to be held down to rinse his eyes.  The eyelids must be pryed open and the eyes rinsed well.  Do not use forcefully squirting water from a nozzle, a gentle running water flow is fine.  But rinse.

Remove any contaminated clothing.  I don't care if you are in the middle of downtown, strip it off.  RINSE.

Oh, and rinse some more.  

Now you can worry about medical help.  If you wait, you risk more damage.

Safety glasses at a minimum for many activities.  If you KNOW you are to be working with dangerous liquids, goggles and/or face shield are indicated.  Rubber apron, slicker suit, long rubber gloves, rubber boots may also be indicated, as the job requires.

Do not even crack the cap on liquid chemicals until you have located a method of washing (eye wash, shower, garden hose, sink, gallon jug of water, something).

No, I am not being alarmist, or overly dramatic.  I mean it.  Do it.

OK, now you can go back to whatever you were doing before.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
No Pictures?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
and just what did one not understand about the word "Acid"?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Right on A_Free_Man. Very sage advice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
ComputerGuy, you don't own a gas powered lawn mower do you......
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#19]
hey atleast he didnt parkerize himself
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet, anyway!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I got battery acid on me once, when I was 16.

Carried it into the parts store sideways while going to get a replacement.. Duh.  Leaked all over me before I realized what happened.

Took off my shirt, got as much of it off of me as I could.  It didn't do anything more than itch the whole way home.  Immediately took a shower, no harm done.  The shirt was history, though.

Oh, I also blew up a battery once.  Had the sense to run as soon as I saw flames.  Didn't get anything on me that time.  I do however have a permanent fear of jump-starting cars though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ended up with a some battery acid all over my left hand today.
View Quote

Batteries ain't like "fermica" or toilet seats.  Put the stapler and mallet down and back away...

DrMark
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Mary took a little drink,
now she lays dead on the floor.

What she thought was H2O
Was H2SO4.

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Battery acid hurts.....no sh*t!

As often as you hurt yourself, have you considered moving into a protective bubble?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Got that burning sensation, did you?
I work with Alcohol and drug addicted youth, I'll give you the same advice i give them:

DON'T DO ACID!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Kb?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh, I also blew up a battery once.  Had the sense to run as soon as I saw flames.  Didn't get anything on me that time.  I do however have a permanent fear of jump-starting cars though.
View Quote

Now you got me wondering.... How?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

didn't NFSJoJo do that? ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I do however have a permanent fear of jump-starting cars though.
View Quote

I have the same fear.  A friend of mine lost his vision in one eye when I was helping him jump start his car.  We were in a garage, so there wasn't much airflow.  He had just taken-off his glasses, because they kept fogging-up.  I once saw him lose three toenails when a tree, that was sliding downhill, slid over his foot and ripped the top of his boot off with the toenails.  He didn't cuss then.  He cussed like a sailor the entire way to the emergency room from the battery acid, so I know it hurt extremely.  Batteries produce more hydrogen gas than you think when charging.  The hydrogen isn't dangerous, but it can throw acid a long way when it expands from burning.  That battery threw the acid a good 15 feet when it blew.z
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Now you got me wondering.... How?
View Quote

Jump-starting a car in the rain.

Jumped it off, let it charge for a bit.. Disconnected, let it charge some more.
Put the car in reverse and eased it back to turn around.  When I put it in drive again, it stalled.
Hooked up the cables again, dead car first.  When I touched the last cable to the live car, it sparked and ignited the flamable gas that was present due to previous load on the battery.  As soon as I saw the flame I dropped the cable and ran.  Pieces of the battery landed near my feet about 50 feet away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a little story that shows how dangerous this stuff is.  I was doing experiments with it, and got a drop of it on my finger and didn't know it.  A few seconds later I felt a burning sensation, and looked and saw a red mark.  It began burning really bad, so I got a kleenex and wiped it off, and then rinsed it off in the sink.  Just about ten seconds of exposure, and I had a very sore red mark that was badly swollen.  The mark was visible for a few weeks.  If I had left it on for very much longer it would have turned my skin black.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Jump-starting a car in the rain.

Jumped it off, let it charge for a bit.. Disconnected, let it charge some more.
Put the car in reverse and eased it back to turn around.  When I put it in drive again, it stalled.
Hooked up the cables again, dead car first.  When I touched the last cable to the live car, it sparked and ignited the flamable gas that was present due to previous load on the battery.  As soon as I saw the flame I dropped the cable and ran.  Pieces of the battery landed near my feet about 50 feet away.
View Quote

sounds fun. my dad had a similer encounter with a car batt..

his buddys car was dead so he was going to jump start it. had his buddy hold the other end of the cables. connectors appart. my dad then hooked up buds car. then his car. started them up. all well and fine at this point. now he goes to unhook the cars. undoes his and has this bud hold the cables. it is at this point the guy touchs the clamps together. BOOOM. buds battery explodes.  his bud is just standing there slackjawed. i dont know if there was any sort of barrier or not between them and the auto at that time. (i wasnt around then, he was 18) neighter was hurt.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought the mods were locking Computer guy's stupid, sick self mutilation threads?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top