Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 4:52:51 PM EDT
Hello!

I'm going to be moving to Arizona in 2-3 months.  If I get admitted to the U-AZ in Tucson, my issues will resolve themselves and I'll move to Tucson.

If I don't get admitted, I need some help.  I would move to Phoenix.  But, I know little about the area.  That's where you may come in.

Where's the bad area[s] of town?  Where are the good but inexpensive areas?  (I already figured out that Scottsdale and Paradise Valley seem to be on the higher end of the rent spectrum.) Any other nifty "insider" info you could give me would also be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh, and any tips on where to find reasonable insurance (23, male, no accidents, no tickets) would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
prebans, good luck in your move. ive lived here in Phoenix for 9 years and LOVE IT here. basicaly the "bad" areas are south/central phoenix, and the west side. although it is cheaper to live there. i like it here in the north east part of phoenix. not real expensive, nice neighborhoods, and im close to the highway so i can get anywhere in the valley pretty quick. (plus im only 20 minutes from Ben Avery Shooting facility}. the best insurance agent ive found is American Family Insurance 480-922-8372. feel free to email if you have any more questions
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
prebans, good luck in your move. ive lived here in Phoenix for 9 years and LOVE IT here. basicaly the "bad" areas are south/central phoenix, and the west side. although it is cheaper to live there. i like it here in the north east part of phoenix. not real expensive, nice neighborhoods, and im close to the highway so i can get anywhere in the valley pretty quick. (plus im only 20 minutes from Ben Avery Shooting facility}. the best insurance agent ive found is American Family Insurance 480-922-8372. feel free to email if you have any more questions
View Quote

Thank you for the information!  I've been looking over places like [url]http://www.apartmentguide.com[/url] and have noticed that north and whatever seems to be inexpensive.  Northwest looked relatively cheap, but perhaps there's an underlying reason for that.  [:\]

Again, THANK YOU!  I may well be in contact.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Prebans-

EX11B is right (about both the part of town AND the insurance). I would also suggest parts of Tempe (great for ASU) and Mesa. The prices aren't too bad. At the end of the day, you can find cheaper housing in any city (even Scottsdale). Good luck.

O
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
prebans,
I've lived here my whole life, and there are nice and crappy parts of every city in the phx/metro area. I would encourage you to find a place that is at least 15miles or closer from where you drive the most. If your going to ASU or one of the community colleges live near campus. I've been out of ASU for about a year and a half if you want more specifics about that area. I currently live in Chandler, south of Tempe and ASU. Feel free to email me off line with any questions. Good luck and don't forget your deoterant, it's HOT.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
... East Valley, my friend.  Many, many reasons.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
You can hang with the Mormons in Mesa!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]

I concur with what's been said here.

South Phoenix = gangsta hell-hole.

Central Phoenix = gangsta hell-hole.

West Side (Glendale) = mostly rotten until you get WAYYYYYYY out to the west.

Guadalupe = bad like in "3rd-world country" bad.

** Chandler = old parts bad, south&west chandler nice.

* Gilbert = same as Chandler.

** Tempe = generally good, typical College motley crowd. Probably best bet for CollegeDude.

* Mesa = some good, some old-fogies, far east is worse.

* Red Mountain (northeast Mesa) = nice, new, but maybe far.

Apache Junction = older, rustic, pretty far out east of Mesa.

** Scottsdale = North/East=$$, South=okay towards Tempe/ASU.

Paradise Valley = $$$$$$

* North Phoenix = generally good, some bad spots.

CaveCreek = bikers.

Carefree = rustic but still $$$$
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
East valley is the way to go. We have a shooting range out here, too, it's pretty nice. I'd stay away from the west side, it's getting pretty bad out that way for crime, but it's a big city, and there's crime everywhere. I've lived in Mesa for a long time, and it's not too bad. Like EX11B said, stay close to the freeway, and move close to where you're gonna work/school. Email me if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help you out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, Mesa has two malls.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, for the most part they are right, I have lived in Glendale my entire life...north of Greenway, west of 59th isn't bad at all.  But the people there think they are rich and are therfore, snooty.  I worked in north-east Phoenix/Scottsdale for a while and there are some hot babes and the people there know they are rich so they are much nicer.

There is quite a bit more to do in the East Valley, but this whole darn places is connected by freeways now.  27th Avenue area is connected near 2 freeways and there is some good, cheaper aparments around there.  But eastside may be more for you, ASU is right there, and U of A is about an hour drive...at least in my truck...

Well, this whole places is mixed around and there are poop-holes connected to expensive stuff, I have been all over looking, it jsut depends on what you want to be near.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

* Red Mountain (northeast Mesa) = nice, new, but maybe far.

View Quote

... Actually it's not too bad at all now. The 202 will run all the way out to Higley & Thomas roads by October.

... What I like about is that it's close to work for me, quick freeway to college in Tempe and the Central waters lakes just west of here for water skiing, fishing & camping. A few short miles and your on the Beeline heading to the mountains.

... Probably the biggest downside for students is housing. Median homes are $500,000.

... Crime is low but temperatures are high!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Mesa's Website: [url]http://www.ci.mesa.az.us/[/url]

Tempe's Website: [url]http://www.tempe.gov/default1.asp[/url]

Scottsdale's Website: [url]http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/[/url]

Gilbert's Website: [url]http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/[/url]

Chandler's Website: [url]http://www.chandleraz.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Van Buren Ave. is where all the hookers hang out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]
[url]www.tucsoncitizen.com[/url] might help find yourself a apt.in Tucson.There are apts.from shit hole 300 to much better 5,6,700.00 ones.Most the surrounding property of the U of A is student housing/rentals.The Miracle Mile is a good take in,...after 11pm.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Winston: Shame on you. You're not telling the man how bad the traffic is-and will be for the next few years-over in the east valley.[stick] I live in the cookie-cutters over by I-17 & Union Hills, and the traffic isn't too bad. We rent, and the house we live in is 3BR, 2BA w/pool and hot tub, big back yard. Less than 1K/mo. Great neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Mesa is a good place to go... reasonable rent, etc.

Also, Amica is a great deal on auto insurance. $100's less than the competition.
[url]www.amica.com[/url]

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, THANK YOU to everybody!  I'll be in contact--  I've got some posts to digest and ponder.  [:)]

Thank you again!

Mike
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]
What are you willing to pay a month??

The NW Phoenix area and North Glendale are very nice for $600 to $900 range depending on what you are looking for.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top