Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2011 10:19:10 AM EDT
Alright,
For the past... forever, I always would put a couple paper towels in the drain opening to dump/filter out the old coffee grounds (french press) and then throw the towels with grounds in them away once the water drained out.  Recently I began thinking if it's OK to just dump the grounds down the drain.  So what say the hive mind?  Will dumping coffee grounds down the drain save a lot of time and mess; or will it clog/fuck up my drain?
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it, your plumber will love you!
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#2]
i dont see a problem with it; they only thing i know not to put down the drain is fat

some people do put grease and fat down the drain, it boggles my mind

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
See it at work all the time.  Trap fills with grounds in no time at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

really?

why?

i just dump my grounds out, i dont use to fancy french press shit, so i never thought about it

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Go ahead and do it. The albino rats and alligators that live in the sewers will appreciate the coffee.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Garbage can or in my case, compost pile.

The wife USED to put them down the drain but after clogging it twice (stuff solid with grounds) she no longer does that.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Do it all the time for years with no issues. Just run the water for a few extra seconds to clean the trap.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been doing it for a month or two now that I have a french press.  I run the disposal and let the water run, but thanks to this thread, I may reconsider.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Throw them in the trash .
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

really?

why?

i just dump my grounds out, i dont use to fancy french press shit, so i never thought about it

So, because it has the word "French" in it, it's fancy?  Fuck, the only thing more simple is just putting a scoop of coffee grounds in your mouth and drinking hot water.  Maybe that's what you do if a French press is "fancy shit"

Looks like I'll just keep doing what I've been doing then.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

really?

why?

So, because it has the word "French" in it, it's fancy?  Fuck, the only thing more simple is just putting a scoop of coffee grounds in your mouth and drinking hot water.  Maybe that's what you do if a French press is "fancy shit"

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been rinsing them down the drain for decades.  My coffee maker grinds the beans in the brew basket, so it gets cleaned every pot.  Go through several pounds of beans per month here, and never have had a drain issue.

Now, if you dump grease in the same drain you dump grounds in...  you get solid sludge. Can't seem to teach my sister that, and her drains are always fucked up with grease & solids.  After 30 years of telling her why the drains are clogged, I gave up. I suspect most of the arteries in her house look the same way.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
my wfe puts them down the drain, but she puts alot of other shit down it to.

She once put a whole two layer cake down the disposal She says its what its there for
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really?

why?

I'm sure they settle in the bottom of the trap like silt.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

my wfe puts them down the drain, but she puts alot of other shit down it to.

She once put a whole two layer cake down the disposal She says its what itsmy mouth there for

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never had a clogged drain and I dump everything down it.  Run hot water before, during and after.  Dump boiling water down once a month.  

Disposal's work.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Compost them or just distribute over your yard.  Great compost material (you can compost the filter as well)

Put them on any acid loving plants, roses, Hydrenga's, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See it at work all the time. Trap fills with grounds in no time at all.

really?

why?

So, because it has the word "French" in it, it's fancy? Fuck, the only thing more simple is just putting a scoop of coffee grounds in your mouth and drinking hot water. Maybe that's what you do if a French press is "fancy shit"

That reminds me of "How to eat ramen like a boss". It needs a few more steps though  
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I refill the pot - swish a few times and throw them into the yard.  You might not have problems with poring them down your drain - but I know my drains and don't want to call the plumber more often than I already do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I put them in my flower beds. My grandmother always did that and she had the nicest flowers. I do it and my flowers are so-so but it smells nice as you walk up to the door
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This.  It will gradually clog up your pipes.  If you have a green bin, use it.  Otherwise toss it in the trash.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to dump all kinds of shit down the drain and just run the disposal.  Then I moved to a better place and I'm on a well.  I dont have a garbage disposal anymore.  I rarely ever dump shit down the drain now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't use my french press very often, but I usually just re-fill it with water, swish it around and dump it down the disposal.  I like the idea of dumping it around my roses, that's the new method.

Only plumbing problem I've had is when a friend decided my drain was up to the task of taking a whole bag of russet potato peels in 5 seconds.  I had to take everything apart and force-feed a garden hose down the pipe.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I generally don't like to tempt fate when it comes to drain health.
I would put them in the yard or throw them away.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#26]
No coffee grounds in drains. I've snaked quite a few that were plugged solid with grounds.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have never had a clogged drain and I dump everything down it.  Run hot water before, during and after.  Dump boiling water down once a month.  

Disposal's work.

Same with me.  I have been cleaning out garbage disposals with a cut up lime, baking soda, and ice cubes once a month for decades.   No issues.  Every drain gets a cup of enzyme solution once a month for the last 15 years as well.  No issues.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Throw the grounds in your garden
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

First post nailed it.  They will clog your drain.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

First response wins, again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I dump the majority in the trash and rinse the reusable filter in the sink. I havent had any problems with this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#32]
The jackasses at my old job would do this all the time and the drain was constantly fucked up.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The jackasses at my old job would do this all the time and the drain was constantly fucked up.  

Worse yet when they dump them in the water fountain.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I feed 'em to my chickens.  They love 'em.

Damn rooster's crowing at all hours of the night, though  
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Trash...not drain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top