Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 7:35:10 AM EDT
Ok...so I know my '79 GMC Jimmy isn't in the best of shape (planning on a new engine in it), but this takes the cake.

I was driving on the freeway yesterday when suddenly [b]*BAM...BAM*[/B] this terriffic noise goes off. I immediately pull over to the shoulder and check under the truck...and there I see my transfer case BROKEN OPEN, with chain from the differential spit out and, of course, the obligitory oil flowing out like arterial blood.

So the beast is in the shop now so my guys can see what they can do about it...

I'm half thinking of shooting the damn thing. It's big and yellow and would make one hell of a target. Bah.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
About a year ago I broke the bellhousing on my transmission. For the life of me I still can't figure out how that happened. The next thing was a broken crank, so I'm right there with ya.

Ain't life grand?

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
NP 203's suck
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Golly gosh, it's only a 23 yr old 4X4 [BD]...You're lucky the silent chain lasted that long.
View Quote

LOL, no kidding.  

Get yourself a gear driven, cast iron t-cases when you replace it--one of those will probably last longer that your jimmy.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Golly gosh, it's only a 23 yr old 4X4 [BD]...You're lucky the silent chain lasted that long.
View Quote

Haw! Yep...

So the mechanic said he can put in a used one for replacement for $635. A rebuilt one would be $1300. Used one it is...should last me through the winter, but I'll probably sell off the beast before then. The body is good, so I can get a decent price for it.

Oh well...such is life.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
How could you be mad?

Your truck is how old?

Common sense states all things mechanical brake down at some point.

Common sense also states, the older a mechanical device is, the chances are greatly increased.

Common sense also states, the more the mechanical device is used, once again the chances are increased for breakdown.

Its just like my Girl's dad.
He's one of those "we don't need to pay anyone to fix this, I can do it".

The real question is, are you willing to substitute money for your time and stress and vice versa?

My Girl's dad may have saved himself a good chunk of money during his whole life, but he is the most stressed out MOFO I have ever seen!

Life is a balance, choose your stresses wisely!

He might not be able to enjoy all of the money he's saved cause he will for sure die sooner then he thinks.

You've made your choose, I hope it works out for you in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
NP 203's suck
View Quote

Say [b]what[/b]? They're just as strong as an NP205, and a Morse chain is one of the most failure-free mechanical devices in existence. I've seen more T/U NP205s than NP203s. Do you have a manual or automatic tranny? Manuals make turning at low speeds a very clunky experience, and that stress has to get relieved somewhere.

[url]www.boyceequipment.com[/url] has them for $695 rebuilt, and I don't think you need to send a core. That [b]may[/b] be the Dodge version, though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How could you be mad?

Your truck is how old?

Common sense states all things mechanical brake down at some point.

Common sense also states, the older a mechanical device is, the chances are greatly increased.

Common sense also states, the more the mechanical device is used, once again the chances are increased for breakdown.

Its just like my Girl's dad.
He's one of those "we don't need to pay anyone to fix this, I can do it".

The real question is, are you willing to substitute money for your time and stress and vice versa?

My Girl's dad may have saved himself a good chunk of money during his whole life, but he is the most stressed out MOFO I have ever seen!

Life is a balance, choose your stresses wisely!

He might not be able to enjoy all of the money he's saved cause he will for sure die sooner then he thinks.

You've made your choose, I hope it works out for you in the grand scheme of things.
View Quote

Dude...I left California for a reason years ago. Yeah...the truck is old. I know it can break down. Nonetheless, when traveling at 60 mph and the transfer case explodes, I  tend to get upset. Sorry, I don't have an "Ohhhm" for the situation. Sheesh!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Hey, that sounds like me.  I've got two non-working cars in my driveway, because I can't fix them.  Walking to work or bumming rides is getting old.  I just hate the idea of paying a mechanic to do something I should know how to do.  I've almost got my home heat pump working again.

The_Jackalope, it's ok to be upset.  I'm [i]still[/i] upset about my three year-old clutch that quit last August in my over 20 year-old van.  It's got some other problems that just makes it not worth fixing.  As you just found-out, old parts are usually cheap, except for the ones you need.  The ones you need are expensive, because they're also the ones everyone else needs.  Supply and demand.z
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Can someone explain, is the chain actually driving the truck when you are in 2WD?

Is it even in motion?

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Jackalope-
Fix it.. Sure, you'll need an engine soon..But combine the cost of the T-case, the engine, and the labor..Bet it's still cheaper than a new truck..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can someone explain, is the chain actually driving the truck when you are in 2WD?

Is it even in motion?

View Quote

Constant 4-wheel drive...yep.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jackalope-
Fix it.. Sure, you'll need an engine soon..But combine the cost of the T-case, the engine, and the labor..Bet it's still cheaper than a new truck..

Meplat-
View Quote

Yeah...it's being fixed...but with a used unit...I can't afford a rebuilt one now.

Since I [i]may[/i] be taking a year long worktrip abroad next year, I might sell the truck off next April or so...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since I [i]may[/i] be taking a year long worktrip abroad next year, I might sell the truck off next April or so...
View Quote

Why sell it?

It'd be months of fun at the range!

[:D]

Remember...when the only tool you have is an Axe, all problems look like hours of fun...

Ed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top