Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 7:59:28 PM EDT
I have everything I need to start making decoy weights.

How long does it usually take for the lead to harden once it has been poured into the mold?

These will be 6oz and 8oz weights. The lead is "virgin lead" if that makes any difference.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

How long does it usually take for the lead to harden once it has been poured into the mold?

These will be 6oz and 8oz weights. The lead is "virgin lead" if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Seconds. Drop it on somthing soft, or in a bucket of water if you want to harden it slightly.
Keep the water FAR away from molten metal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Seconds. Drop it on somthing soft, or in a bucket of water if you want to harden it slightly.

Great. Thanks for the tip about the water.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Great. Thanks for the tip about the water.

For the something soft, I use a couple old bath towels folded on my table. That way when they sit a while I can grab the corners and pour the bullets in the 5 gal buckets by calber so I can size and lube them later.
I have a piece of 3/4" plywood bolted to my table to catch splatter and what not.
Make sure your mold is hot before you start casting. Its not as vital with weights, but prop the mold against the pot to warm it up. I like to cast on the warm side, so my bullets have sharp edges and a slightly frosty appearance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not add scrap lead to a hot pot. If there is even a hint of moisture on it you will get a steam pocket and explosion.  Fil the pot and let it come up to temp.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do not add scrap lead to a hot pot. If there is even a hint of moisture on it you will get a steam pocket and explosion.  Fil the pot and let it come up to temp.

Exactly. I cannot stress enough to keep water away from molten metal.

ETA: Also, if you use tire weights and other dirty shit, go buy some gulf wax. Adding a slice to the pot brings all the dirt to the surface and makes it easier to discard.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]
towards the end, mythbusters stick their fingers into molten lead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZio0f7fP04
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top