Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2011 7:16:28 PM EDT
So i know the rule about never selling a gun, but i have a few that i rarely shoot and 2 that I NEVER shoot. I really have no reason to have them.

i acquired them in my early stages of collecting and i'd rather get rid of them to fund various other projects (ammo, new AR builds, optics, etc.).

So i mention to my older brother that i'll probably just bring them to a gun store and see what they'll give me for them. He says instead of doing that, I should go see what they offer me and he'll give me a few bucks more. Quite honestly, I'd rather do this. He's not into firearms quite, but he's getting there and i'd rather them go to a family member. He makes A LOT of money but i still don't want to make it seem like i'm screwing him.

The guns are a Inter Ordnance AK and a charter arms bulldog in .44 spl. I know they've both gotten bad reviews, but these shoot just fine. I think i lucked out with both of them. Never had one jam with the AK and it's fairly accurate. The bulldog is pretty accurate too. No problems with either of them.

So he's getting the two firearms. About 100 rounds of 7.62x39 and 100 rounds of .44 special and i also have a IWB holster for the wheel gun.

What do you guys think? What would be the a reasonable price to ask a family member for these. He really wants them but doesnt want to pay too much. I really want to get rid of them and don't care if i get top dollar. He makes a shit ton and I simply get by.

I'll look around for pics if that would help.

Thanks

and sorry if i rambled at all or didnt make sense. Ive hard a few drinks and am doing the best i can.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Really, I wouldn't sell those to someone I knew.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a strict policy to never sell to or buy from family

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
$350-400 for the ak
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, thats kind of my predicament. He's well aware of their quality and i gave him PLENTY of warning. They were some purchases when i first started buying guns when i was in the 'i don't know any better' stage. he still wants them. I had no intent of selling to him but he's pushing it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
He's gotta start somewhere ! You told him what to expect. So be it.... Offer to buy them back if he's dissapointed. Otherwise, take him out and bust a few caps. Maybe he'll get the bug and go out and buy a few more on his own. With your guidance I'd hope...
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He's gotta start somewhere ! You told him what to expect. So be it.... Offer to buy them back if he's dissapointed. Otherwise, take him out and bust a few caps. Maybe he'll get the bug and go out and buy a few more on his own. With your guidance I'd hope...

he's shot both of them and likes them. He knows they'll never be as accurate as any of my AR's or other handguns.

He bought his first gun on his own and ended up with a jennings .22 ...

He then wanted a shotgun to shoot trap with and i went with him. We ended up with an 1187... he still needs some guidance.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
GIVE him both guns.  tell him it's his Christmas present.  

neither are bad, in my opine, but neither are stellar.

do you NEED the $?  he's your brother, right?  tell him Merrry Christmas, or Happy Birthday, whatever.  

just sayin'...

-tom
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

do you NEED the $?  he's your brother, right?  tell him Merrry Christmas, or Happy Birthday, whatever.  

just sayin'...

-tom

Yeah, thats where i'm kind of at right now. He wouldn't take them for free though and wouldn't take them for just $20.  I don't need the money, but obviously could always use it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Give them to him with the stipulation that he never sells them. I've given both of my brothers pistols, and my nephew two shotguns.  I've been given shotguns from my dad and both grandfathers. I don't take money from family or friends.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Give them to him with the stipulation that he never sells them. I've given both of my brothers pistols, and my nephew two shotguns.  I've been given shotguns from my dad and both grandfathers. I don't take money from family or friends.

I don't either, But it's because they never pay me.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I made a rule when I was a teenager that any gun I owned would never be sold, heard to many "Goddam I wish I hadn't sold that"/ "I used to have..." stories"

jut my .02
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I made a rule when I was a teenager that any gun I owned would never be sold, heard to many "Goddam I wish I hadn't sold that"/ "I used to have..." stories"

jut my .02

yup, i have a few of these stories too but these have been sitting in the safe for literally years. They serve zero purpose.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

just sayin'...

-tom

Figured somebody had beat me to it...

Heck yeah, "first hit's free" or whatever; shoot them until he burns through that ammo, make him buy some more, let him shoot your "upgrades" until he wants better/gets tired and then pass them along to somebody else.

Hey, all new gun owners that "get it" are welcome!  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
If you aren't going to give them to him, maybe $400 or so.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

jut my .02

I said the same thing, until I owned a S&W model 59.  I have bought some used guns along the way that I found out why the owner was selling them.  I couldn't make them work reliably either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

just sayin'...

-tom

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top