Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2011 5:39:29 PM EDT
http://oil-price.net/en/articles/tighter-oil-supply-in-2012.php

It's no secret that Saudi Arabia, in a desperate attempt to hold on to power, is trying hard to win back its people. After all, the wave of massive protest for democracy did shake the Middle East.   So what does it do?   Take this: King Abdullah's
has announced generous subsidies to construct 500,000 houses for the
poor, a friendly mortgage law for the common man to buy property,
finances for infrastructure, religious organisations,  and for improving
the education and health system, a pay rise for workers in the public
sector, unemployment benefits, and more education allowance for
students. To be sure, it also helps that the country has massive
reserves for all the spending, thanks to oil.  In two packages, the
first announced in February for $36 billion, and the second in March for
$94 billion, the ruler is fighting to win back his people. Together,
the $130 billion is equal to 30 percent of the kingdom's GDP, or
revenues from oil export for eight months.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

this
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
May their chains rest lightly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
"Please don't kill me"

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
In the end it won't be enough. People want freedom more than they want cheap mortgages.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny.  I have said that a lot.  The Saudis from Yemen agree.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In the end it won't be enough. People want freedom more than they want cheap mortgages.

Not really...

The vast majority of people want "free stuff" more than they want "freedom".
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
But, is he going to give out EBT cards?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No,  that is not the norm anymore.  People want free shit, and the ability to watch Americas Got Talent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's no secret that Saudi Arabia, in a desperate attempt to hold on to power, is trying hard to win back its people. After all, the wave of massive protest for democracy did shake the Middle East.   So what does it do?   Take this: King Abdullah's has announced generous subsidies to construct 500,000 houses for the poor, a friendly mortgage law for the common man to buy property, finances for infrastructure, religious organisations,  and for improving the education and health system, a pay rise for workers in the public sector, unemployment benefits, and more education allowance for students. To be sure, it also helps that the country has massive reserves for all the spending, thanks to oil.  In two packages, the first announced in February for $36 billion, and the second in March for $94 billion, the ruler is fighting to win back his people. Together, the $130 billion is equal to 30 percent of the kingdom's GDP, or revenues from oil export for eight months.

Saudi property:

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+ 1...FEEL THE SAME WAY!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are Islamists (99% of the country is muslim). They have no conception of freedom or liberty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are Islamists (99% of the country is muslim). They have no conception of freedom or liberty.

This.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Having observed their junior officers on several occasions, they're still thoroughly fucked if they ever have a serious internal or external security threat. We'd be better off to fly in legions of airsofters and video gamers, to fall in on their equipment, than entrust it to their own hands.

The handful of serious forces that exist are only there for regime survival; if SA faced an existential threat we'd probably observe them hustling the royals out of the country, whilst the remainder were prodded to man the barricades and stem the tide.

So, count this as defense spending...they're buying the acquiescence of their people, so that an internal threat hopefully won't materialize. For all our sakes, I wish them luck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's no secret that Saudi Arabia, in a desperate attempt to hold on to power, is trying hard to win back its people. After all, the wave of massive protest for democracy did shake the Middle East.   So what does it do?   Take this: King Abdullah's has announced generous subsidies to construct 500,000 houses for the poor, a friendly mortgage law for the common man to buy property, finances for infrastructure, religious organisations,  and for improving the education and health system, a pay rise for workers in the public sector, unemployment benefits, and more education allowance for students. To be sure, it also helps that the country has massive reserves for all the spending, thanks to oil.  In two packages, the first announced in February for $36 billion, and the second in March for $94 billion, the ruler is fighting to win back his people. Together, the $130 billion is equal to 30 percent of the kingdom's GDP, or revenues from oil export for eight months.

Saudi Arabia is stupid, the king had some Persian come up with the deal.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]
How can i profit from this?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
That means jobs for Americans since they don't hire their own people to do work, right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#19]
At least they aren't buying their own bonds to finance it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Sell them little boys.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit.

this

Holy shit what?

We gave away 1028 billion in just free healthcare last year.

Saudi is way behind the power curve in paying its subjects off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't count on it.

The Saudis can afford to do this. If it doesn't work, they'll spend more. And, unlike us, they have the cash flow and proper gov't structure for this to work for them.

It's not T'sarist Russia by any means.

There's a scene in the movie Sryiana, where Matt Damon tells the prince, or emir, or whoever, that they'll be back to throwing sticks at each other in a hundred years if they don't diversify. While the movie was otherwise trash, it's a good point. Dubai gets this, and Kuwait is on its way.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bull Sheeeeet.

Half of ARFCOM would vote for Obama if he promised a $20k tax credit.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#25]
The Spartans mastered war so that they could enslave other people and never have to work again.
The Saudis lucked into oil and sell it so that they would never have to work again.
Producing an educated by lazy generation will not help them the day they run out of oil, or when the world finds a new form of energy, or the Persian irradiate their oil fields. Saudis go to medical school, get jobs in hospitals, but let all the foreigners do all the work.  The Saudi gets a job to pretend to be a manager, but he takes three hour lunch breaks and goes home at 2pm. On any given day, there are more guest workers in the country than citizens. No Saudi turns a wrench, types a letter, fixes an air conditioner, washes a dish, or swings a hammer, initiates an IV drip, or cleans a machine gun. When the Gulf States expelled the Palestinians for their support of Saddam twenty years ago, they replaced them with Filippinos, Sri Lankens, and dozens of other nationalities. Perhaps 5% of the Filippino population is working in the Gulf.

An American officer was walking away from a training range with three Saudi officers. One was a lieutenant colonel, the other was a captain, and the other was a lieutenant. The colonel was complaining, "Ach, at my age, having sex with my wife is 10% pleasure and 90% work."
The captain said, "Oh, sir, maybe you are getting old. For me, it is 50% work, and 50% pleasure."
The lieutenant piped in, "Gentlemen, maybe it is my youth, but from my point of view, it is just the opposite from the colonel. It is 90% pleasure, and only 10% work."
The colonel said, " We are getting nowhere. We are going in circles.  Let us settle it by asking that foreign contract worker over there, the one cleaning our battle tanks."
They approached the worker, explained the question.  The contract worker scratched his head, thought for a moment and said, "Sir, it must be 100% pleasure. I am absolutely sure of it."
The Saudis were amazed and asked "why?"
The foreigner said "Why,sir, don't take this the wrong way, but if there was any work involved in that, you'd pay a Filippino to do it for you."
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That means jobs for Americans since they don't hire their own people to do work, right?

They will learn an important lesson.

Self esteem does not come from HAVING things. It comes from DOING things.

The reason that so many Saudis fall for extremist forms of Islam is because two generations of Saudis have been disconnected from their nomadic tribal roots.  Imagine what lots of instant wealth does to people who have not earned it.  Or to people who are not grounded.  The Saudi man has no great war, no great depression.  His great depression comes from feeling like a baby veal cow in a comfortable pen. He knows that out there in the world, people are building things, struggling to make a living, feeling the joy of triumph and the agony of defeat, taking risks and reaping rewards.  Has a Saudi ever patented a new invention? Wrote a song that brought joy to the world? Made a new product that made him a millionaire?  Wrote a best selling book? Made an acclaimed movie? Right now, in your house, is there anything, anything at all, that was invented or designed or improved or discovered by a Saudi? Is there a Saudi restaurant within 2,000 miles of were you live?  Is anyone studying Saudi literature, or art, or music?  If it weren't for oil, would they any more impact on the world  than some tribe of plate-lipped, g-string wearing, throwback tribe discovered in the Amazon rain forest?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull Sheeeeet.

Half of ARFCOM would vote for Obama if he promised a $20k tax credit.

I know I would.  It's been almost 20 years since I've taken a real vacation.  That would be enough to pay for my wife's nursing home, medical bills, my rent, and all of my other expenses for almost two full months.z
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Having observed their junior officers on several occasions, they're still thoroughly fucked if they ever have a serious internal or external security threat. We'd be better off to fly in legions of airsofters and video gamers, to fall in on their equipment, than entrust it to their own hands.

The handful of serious forces that exist are only there for regime survival; if SA faced an existential threat we'd probably observe them hustling the royals out of the country, whilst the remainder were prodded to man the barricades and stem the tide.

So, count this as defense spending...they're buying the acquiescence of their people, so that an internal threat hopefully won't materialize. For all our sakes, I wish them luck.

it's the same for every country.

including ours.

if you look deep, and hard, and take off the patriotic blinders you will see it to be true.

I'm not saying I don't love America, I do!

and I will be one of the ones on the bulwark wall defending it.

but I have no illusions of what's really going on.

many soldiers have risen to become politicians, ever see a politician become a soldier?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are Islamists (99% of the country is muslim). They don't want to have any conception of freedom or liberty.

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He will then tax the ever-loving fuck out of everybody else in the country to pay for those subsidies.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

not sure if serious.    if not , I see what you did there.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's the same for every country.

including ours.

if you look deep, and hard, and take off the patriotic blinders you will see it to be true.

I'm not saying I don't love America, I do!

and I will be one of the ones on the bulwark wall defending it.

but I have no illusions of what's really going on.

many soldiers have risen to become politicians, ever see a politician become a soldier?

Only one comes to mind. Teddy Roosevelt

TS
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Buying the support of the people with funds from the treasury.

Who does that remind you of?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

SLAAAAVES are made in such ways....
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:27:51 AM EDT
[#35]
It's like having all the friends money can buy.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's the idea.  Make their subjugation comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really...

Many believe they are and in the same.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

neither do the spoiled brats growing up here in america.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Oh, you were serious...

A very small percentage of humans want freedom.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#40]
History teaches us that revolutions happen during times of increased expectations.  This might backfire.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Really? As I watch the news and observe everyday life in this country, it seems to me that people are willing and eager to give up much of their freedom for cheap and/or free shit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

South Carolina's previous governor, Mark Sanford, joined the USAF Reserve and...

nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, you were serious...

A very small percentage of humans want freedom.
So all Assad and Gaddafi need to do is offer up some cash and their problems are over? If only Mubarak had known. I'm sure he would have gladly opened up the treasury rather than be laying in a hospital bed, in a court room, facing premeditated murder charges. Hell someone should of told ol King George back in the day; we'd all still be English subjects.

Insurrection spread across the middle east because of it. The civil rights movement was born of it. The Berlin wall came down and communist Russia, as we know it, died because of it. People want freedom and will fight and die to achieve it.

It's coming to Saudi Arabia. It's coming to Syria, and Libya. Eventually it's coming to China, and when it does it'll be an "E" ticket attraction.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:55:00 AM EDT
[#44]
wonder what happens when the oil runs out?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really...

Apparently you haven't read the " Let me give you some insight into "ghetto" culture...lengthy read  "  thread.

The same may apply over there also.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#46]
So when do they get Wal-Mart Super Centers, and Fast Food chains?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They don't
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So when do they get Wal-Mart Super Centers, and Fast Food chains?

They have lots of fast food chains
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#49]
No they don't.  The american people are a prime example of freedom being traded for garbage.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
History teaches us that revolutions happen during times of increased expectations.  This might backfire.

Yep, give them a little free shit, and they will want more free shit.   Give them more free shit and soon they will want it all.  At that point they will figure out that they out-number the royal family.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top