Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2011 1:03:59 PM EDT

Made in Mexico.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol.

Really though, lots of things are still made in the US, but cheap everyday consumer goods are mostly import nowadays

95% of my store's merchandise is made in the USA w/ US made materials by US citizens
Speed
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
So instead of buying Chinese scissors, you bought counterfeit scissors?  
At least the Chinese scissors would have been real...

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought most of the Fiskars stuff came from China these days.  God knows that's where Gerber multi tools come from, and Fiskars owns them.

I'd honestly like to see more stuff made in Mexico.  Maybe their citizens will go home to find jobs once Obama finishes destroying our economy.  Hell, maybe we'll all have to go there to find jobs once Obama finishes destroying our economy.  Mmmm, Mexican girls, food and beer!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]
hey, at least it's North America, oh wait .......is that what the NAFTA stuff is all about ?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it strange that I feel patriotic buying stuff made in Mexico as opposed to China??

Made in the USA is my first choice, but I'll snap up a North American made whatever in a heartbeat to avoid Chinese goods.

ETA:  Good find btw.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Onerous tax and regulatory burdens for business + cheap labor and resources + common sense in owning a business  = Outsource.

Less laws and I think we'll see more businesses come home.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a ashtray made in Germany yesterday. Of course it was used, cost a quarter and was probably made a couple decades ago.

Also bought a set of Wagner Ware frying pans with lids, built like an Abrams tank, $1 for both of them. You couldn't find quality like that for $50 each new from a store.

Pretty sad that I can buy better quality stuff from a garage sale then bought new and made in China.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I thought most of the Fiskars stuff came from China these days.  God knows that's where Gerber multi tools come from, and Fiskars owns them.

I'd honestly like to see more stuff made in Mexico.  Maybe their citizens will go home to find jobs once Obama finishes destroying our economy.  Hell, maybe we'll all have to go there to find jobs once Obama finishes destroying our economy.  Mmmm, Mexican girls, food and beer!

Mexico was a nice third world place until it went to hell.  I worked for a company down there, it was one of my favorite jobs, had a great time.  I'd rather we dump dollars into Mexico than China any day of the week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I would much rather see more from Mexico and less from China. The few things I have seen, that have been made in Mexico where very well made.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Smooth move buying cheap crap when there's still plenty of alternatives available:
http://www.wolffind.com/Default.asp?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Forged? Should have gotten billet. Much stronger
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If there are jobs in Mexico, they have less of a reason to sneak in here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Smooth move buying cheap crap when there's still plenty of alternatives available:
http://www.wolffind.com/Default.asp?

They didn't have that brand at Joannes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Packaging was hecho in Mexico, scissors probably still made in China.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
PCE = personal consumer expenditures

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lol.

Really though, lots of things are still made in the US, but cheap everyday consumer goods are mostly import nowadays

95% of my store's merchandise is made in the USA w/ US made materials by US citizens

Speed

What the hell do you sell????
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Minor purchase.  My Miller Dynasty 200DX was made in Wisconsin.  But probably has a few imported parts.  Same with the Weldcraft torch, leads and clamp.  I bet the argon cylinder is made in USA, same with the contents.  

Remember, we get oil from Mexico.  And they buy corn from us.  So there is a trade balance there.

Many GM trucks have frames made in Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Say what ???

If i'm understanding this correctly, the vast majority of U.S. goods are made here ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]
yep I read it and thought "Mexico".
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what ???

If i'm understanding this correctly, the vast majority of U.S. goods are made here ?

Not too sure about that graph.  Seems like I see a lot more goods made overseas.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what ???

Not too sure about that graph.  Seems like I see a lot more goods made overseas.  

I wonder if the percentages are skewed by adding in fruits, vegetables, most grocery items.  These, by far, are "made in the US."
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what ???

That's explained by a high volume of cheap foreign goods, compared to a low volume of expensive domestic goods.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Mexicans are making the scissors that Americans don't want to make.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what ???

That's explained by a high volume of cheap foreign goods, compared to a low volume of expensive domestic goods.  

Made in U.S. from U.S. parts 81.9%

Final goods imported from China 1.2%

Cost of what we are buying is not shown, it's just products percentage, I must be living under a rock !
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a fan for my shop at Lowes tonight

the box said "Assembled in USA"

probably out of recycled parts from Chinese Political prisoners

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Say what ???

Close. You're looking at goods, and ignoring every ancillary service and product that accompanies those goods. The graph shows consumer spending. And the vast majority of that spending, even while the widget itself is actually made in China, is going to Americans. The majority of it is going to American transportation, wholesale and retail, and service firms. The Chinese, even while they make the stuff, are actually getting dicked on the deal.

Free trade works, when it's left alone, unfettered. We all benefit in some way, Chinese and Americans alike.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol.

Speed

What the hell do you sell????

Bedding.
Speed

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Is it strange that I feel patriotic buying stuff made in Mexico as opposed to China??

Made in the USA is my first choice, but I'll snap up a North American made whatever in a heartbeat to avoid Chinese goods.

ETA:  Good find btw.

It is not strange at all. If all the chinese stuff we buy every day was made in

Mexico, we (USA) and Mexico would be a rockin and we would be untouchable.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#29]

its that far to walk to get a refund @ least

and they can @ least understand you man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top