Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2002 10:38:56 PM EDT
In the next week or so I plan on buying new proc/mobo/ram and want to know about any of your good or bad experiences with any place you have done business.  I used to buy most of my stuff from [url]www.mwave.com[/url] but after having a couple hard drives and video cards fail a few months after purchase, I don't want to deal with them any more.  I don't know if they are knowingly selling faulty hardware or if I've just had really bad luck.

[url]www.newegg.com[/url] seems to have everything I want in stock and at fair prices, but I have no experience with them.  Thanks for your comments.

Edit to be more specific on what I'm planning on buying:
1.6A northwood
512MB of corsair XMS3000 or XMS3200 DDR memory
Abit BG7 or Asus P4S533
And maybe a geforce 4 of some kind.  I'll probably wait on that to see if the new matrox and ATI cards knock down the prices.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
CDW has good marks.

Are you interested in a pre-configured system? Micron used to be good, but I heard Dell is better in most cases these days.

The major problem with most of the system vendors is they always stick you with OEM parts, which can be a real PITA when you need support or want to upgrade drivers.

For me, the best deal is to find a good base system, complete with box, MB, CPU, RAM, and integrated NIC, and then spec out retail boxed products for the video, sound, DVD, hard drive, controller, and monitor. I always get the most bang for the buck that way, with support for the retail cards and driver upgrades.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
CDW has good marks.

Are you interested in a pre-configured system? Micron used to be good, but I heard Dell is better in most cases these days.
View Quote

Nope I'm only going to get a processor, motherboard and ram to do some significant upgrading.  I'm looking at the 1.6A northwood and 512 MB corsair XMS3000 or XMS3200 DDR memory.  I am unsure about the motherboard....  Abit BG7 or Asus P4S533 probably.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I can highly recommend NewEgg.  I've bought a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff from them in the last six months, and all transactions went off without a hitch.

They seem to cater to the computer hobbyist more than some other vendors.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I use NewEgg all the time for processors and motherboards and am very happy with them.  Back about a year and a half ago, I got a couple bad Iwill KK266 motheboards from them, but they replaced them without a hassle.  Other than that, all the stuff I've ever gotten from them has been good.

You can check them, and other online vendors, out at [url]http://www.resellerratings.com[/url].
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
NewEgg is supposed to be ok.  I bought from them once and ended up a little irritated with their lack of phone etiquette, but everything arrived intact.

Check the site [url]http://www.resellerratings.com[/url] for information about mail-order computer parts stores.  They underwent a buyout a few months ago and lost a lot of data, but they should be getting back up to speed again.  I hope.  They were a good resource.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your tips!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Having bought stuff from, pchertz.com, neutronexpress.com, technologybazaar.com, and newegg.com I can easily say Newegg was my favorite.

That said, I would still quick check pricewatch before I got something. Somewhere else they may have what you are looking for significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't blame the retailer for bad parts. Finished computer cards, memory, etc are not tested at the factory. Yep they have no quality control. Seems the computer parts companies require their chip suppliers to test the chips before shipping them. They include the chips in their products and ship them. The consumer is the quality control.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Newegg for me has been fantastic. Prices are close to if not the best out there, package packing and shipping are exceptional and all other areas of top-notch e-business are also there.

There are many many others, but over the last 6 months, I've rebuilt one system with stuff from Newegg, as well as built an Athlon XP system with their goodies. Couldn't be happier, and [url]newegg.com[/url] appears to have become my main source for PC goodies.

Edited because trained gerbils took over my keyboard and attempted to sully my reputation as a pre-eminent speller and linguist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top